The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaz51
I failed my a-levels (by potential medical student standard), got A*AB in maths, chemistry and biology respectively. I do not think I will apply to medicine anymore. :frown: I am glad I hadnt prepared for UKCAT test (not really though). I have no idea what to do next in my life.

If you dont mind, could you tell me your grades once you get them. Good-luck, I would be pleased if you stayed on to study medicine. Being a doctor was my only dream and now the dream has shattered. :frown:

Brighton & Sussex? Or Keele? Don't give up yet
Reply 6541
Original post by MrsNorthman
Brighton & Sussex? Or Keele? Don't give up yet

"These points may be achieved by obtaining AAA or A*AB at A-level, but both Biology and Chemistry must have been studied to A-level and passed with a minimum A grade." This was stated on the Brighton and Sussex website.

Since I have a B in Biology, slim chance. :frown:
Anyone else's marks for CHEM2 AQA chemistry dodgy? I got 84 which says "c" when online the grade boundary for an A is 79....

:eek:

I find it hard to believe that I can get 9 high A's in my other papers and a C!!! I thought the exam went pretty well... Definitely want to shoot myself in the face
Original post by Loulibelle
Anyone else's marks for CHEM2 AQA chemistry dodgy? I got 84 which says "c" when online the grade boundary for an A is 79....

I find it hard to believe that I can get 9 high A's in my other papers and a C!!! I thought the exam went pretty well... Definitely want to shoot myself in the face

I'm don't take AQA chemistry but that 84 probably refers to UMS points, not the raw mark score the 79 refers to. Result sheets always give scores in UMS.

Are you looking at raw marks or UMS marks?
I'm a reapplicant and just received A*AAB in maths, biology, italian and chemistry. i really want to apply for medicine, what are my chances with a B in chem? the annoying thing is is that i have all A's in my chemistry exams but got a D in my last ISA unit which brought my overal grade down to a B. what would you all advise me to do?
my back up would be natural sciences- i'd be happy doing it but it wouldn't be my dream

thankssss guyssss x
Original post by Saraaaa :)
I'm a reapplicant and just received A*AAB in maths, biology, italian and chemistry. i really want to apply for medicine, what are my chances with a B in chem? the annoying thing is is that i have all A's in my chemistry exams but got a D in my last ISA unit which brought my overal grade down to a B. what would you all advise me to do?
my back up would be natural sciences- i'd be happy doing it but it wouldn't be my dream

thankssss guyssss x

Best chance would be to apply to universities that don't require chemistry to A2, only AS or GCSE. That way you could apply with the A*AA you have from the other subjects.
I got B im my chemistry AS but I hopefully should be predicted an A for A2 will that be okay to apply with? i got good A's in everything else?
Got my results, 3 A's and 1 B, resitting core 2 to get my 4th A :biggrin:
Reply 6549
hey guysss, got my grades today... not as well as i hoped but im still hopeful! Just submitted my personal statement to the helpers, Im trying to get as many opinions as possible.

I booked my ukcat exam for the end of september! I think i made a big mistake... doesn't that mean i can't apply to unis until 1st october!! Can i change the date?? I feel so stupid... I just thought it was so cool that we have until 7th october to do it but then i realised its better to get it done earlier!
Original post by Saffron
hey guysss, got my grades today... not as well as i hoped but im still hopeful! Just submitted my personal statement to the helpers, Im trying to get as many opinions as possible.

I booked my ukcat exam for the end of september! I think i made a big mistake... doesn't that mean i can't apply to unis until 1st october!! Can i change the date?? I feel so stupid... I just thought it was so cool that we have until 7th october to do it but then i realised its better to get it done earlier!

Yes you can re-arrange the date though I'd recommend doing this asap since I imagine test centres will be starting to get very busy
Reply 6551
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Yes you can re-arrange the date though I'd recommend doing this asap since I imagine test centres will be starting to get very busy

Thank you for letting me know!! I scheduled it for 9th September :smile:
Original post by Shaz51
I failed my a-levels (by potential medical student standard), got A*AB in maths, chemistry and biology respectively. I do not think I will apply to medicine anymore. :frown: I am glad I hadnt prepared for UKCAT test (not really though). I have no idea what to do next in my life.

If you dont mind, could you tell me your grades once you get them. Good-luck, I would be pleased if you stayed on to study medicine. Being a doctor was my only dream and now the dream has shattered. :frown:

Noooo :frown: I'm honestly gutted for you but you've still got a chance! :smile: You got an A in Chem which is "the main one" apparently and you could be cheeky and try to argue that the A* makes up for the B as it averages as A's (although i'm not sure they'd see it that way) Could you get the B remarked or resit? it'd limit your places but you'd still stand a chance? or postgrad? If you do decide not to do medicine, at least you already accepted that you've got a year of, so you can think about things, whereas there will be other people who had offers and missed them who will be a complete mess. Could go through clearing and beat the fees? lol

I don't mind and thank you :smile: I got AAA in maths bio and chem a-levels, A* in extended project and B in science in society. So including last years I've got AAAa*abc so I'm gonna try again me thinks :smile: next hurdle: ukcat :l I honestly wish you the best of luck with what ever you chose to do, keep me posted! :smile: and Think positive! where theres a will, theres a way! :biggrin:

Original post by missdunni
I got B im my chemistry AS but I hopefully should be predicted an A for A2 will that be okay to apply with? i got good A's in everything else?

I got a B in chem at AS too and was too predicted an A for A2. It depends on where you apply really. Some places focus on your predicted grades rather than your current AS grades (although they'll possibly take them into account too) I dont think its the end of the world (well i did this time last year but i got over it lol) but just ask careers about the best places to apply if you're worried :smile:

84 is UMS and 79 is raw mark score out of 100. The UMS was out of 140 for this exam. Perhaps get it remarked? :s-smilie: My friend was the same with all As and one C and she is definitely getting it remarked.
Reply 6554
I did my maths a level in one year. I got 250 ums for my AS and 215 ums for A2. Is it just 480+ for A overall which means I'm 15 ums off?

Also when can we get our exams remarked? Is it when we go back in September or before?

Thanks!
Reply 6555
Original post by Erotas
I did my maths a level in one year. I got 250 ums for my AS and 215 ums for A2. Is it just 480+ for A overall which means I'm 15 ums off?

Also when can we get our exams remarked? Is it when we go back in September or before?

Thanks!

You can get them remarked straight away (just ring up your school). And yes, it is 480 UMS for an A.
Reply 6556
Original post by Vulpes
You can get them remarked straight away (just ring up your school). And yes, it is 480 UMS for an A.

Thank you! Do you know what the boundaries are for UMS for chemistry and biology out of 140?
Reply 6557
Original post by Erotas
Thank you! Do you know what the boundaries are for UMS for chemistry and biology out of 140?

You're talking about Edexcel right? If so, cross reference them between these 2 documents:

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1106%20GCE%20Unit%20UM%20Boundaries.pdf

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1106%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home%20Int).pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending