The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
It's supposed to be 600 in theory.. but every year it differs.

I think the UKCAT website produces a report each year which contains the average score but I could be mistaken

Yep you're right, the report for 2010 can be found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pdf/UKCAT%202010%20Technical%20Report.pdf

Original post by SamHey789
Whats a really average UKCAT?

The mean for 2010 was 622, but it looks like they're expecting 2011 to see a mean score closer to 600 again (the mean score in Decision Analysis for 2010 was 678, which shifted the test mean upwards, but they say they'll be adjusting the scale for 2011 to bring it closer to 600 again).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6961
Hey guys, my UKCAT exam is this Friday. I'm trying to enter as much info and as many tips in my head as possible before the exam!! ahh it's scary because I really need a good UKCAT 'cause my GCSE's are not that special.

Btw, I was wondering if it's normal that PS helpers take like a week+ to check ur PS? I don't mind but just wondering incase they missed my post and maybe I should give them a *nudge* :colondollar:
I don't don't like being annoying so I would let them take their time until they respond back. Just hope i wont wait until 15 october :eek:
Reply 6962
Original post by Saffron
Hey guys, my UKCAT exam is this Friday. I'm trying to enter as much info and as many tips in my head as possible before the exam!! ahh it's scary because I really need a good UKCAT 'cause my GCSE's are not that special.

Btw, I was wondering if it's normal that PS helpers take like a week+ to check ur PS? I don't mind but just wondering incase they missed my post and maybe I should give them a *nudge* :colondollar:
I don't don't like being annoying so I would let them take their time until they respond back. Just hope i wont wait until 15 october :eek:

As someone may have mentioned to you previously, we can only guarantee you one review. Although you only see your own PS in that forum, we see thousands. With the waiting list over 20 personal statements long, and many more on its way, reviewing redrafts is not a priority. You can try contacting your previous reviewer directly to see if he/she is free to look through your redraft.
Hi I have a question about UKCAT- are you at a disadvantage if you take the test later ie. on the last testing day in october? I need more time to prepare! :redface: thanks!
Reply 6964
Hey guys. I was wondering whether anyone here could give me a hand. I did my A-Levels and I got an AAC for Bio, Maths and Chem respectively. The C has really been a hindrance for me. And I'm on a gap year right now. I was wondering whether anyone knows whether I'll be able to Medicine with those grades. And which universities I could maybe apply to? I'm new to the forum and I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Stuck in a hole atm. Thanks in advance!
Original post by lilangela
Hi I have a question about UKCAT- are you at a disadvantage if you take the test later ie. on the last testing day in october? I need more time to prepare! :redface: thanks!

Well, apart from the increases cost, you'll be sending your application off later so you may be disadvantaged there. Otherwise no you won't be disadvantaged at all.
Original post by harriy
Hey guys. I was wondering whether anyone here could give me a hand. I did my A-Levels and I got an AAC for Bio, Maths and Chem respectively. The C has really been a hindrance for me. And I'm on a gap year right now. I was wondering whether anyone knows whether I'll be able to Medicine with those grades. And which universities I could maybe apply to? I'm new to the forum and I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Stuck in a hole atm. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, unfortunately no UK medical school will accept you for 2012 entry with only AAC at A2. Your only options are to resit and hope you get the AAA, applying only to ones that allow A2 resits, or take a degree and apply for graduate entry once you've completed the degree.
Original post by lilangela

Cost is the only thing you need to consider - if you're an international applicant, the cost is the same (higher) but if you live within the UK the cost will be higher for you later on.

There is no disadvantage in terms of university applications. Personally, I knew I would panic later on and therefore sat for my UKCAT early August last year when I had to do it. However if that's not an issue for you and you don't mind spending more, just do it later because the universities seriously won't give a crap. :smile:
Reply 6968
Original post by Vulpes
As someone may have mentioned to you previously, we can only guarantee you one review. Although you only see your own PS in that forum, we see thousands. With the waiting list over 20 personal statements long, and many more on its way, reviewing redrafts is not a priority. You can try contacting your previous reviewer directly to see if he/she is free to look through your redraft.

Oops!! should have read the fine print :wink: I can just imagine all the PS helpers reading thousands of PS's - hard work.
No I guess I presumed that they can re check because my personal statement helper told me to re post it for it to be checked again when I made alterations. I'll message her about it later. Thanks for letting me know :smile:
Reply 6969
Hi all, could someone explain to me what exactly this means:

Unit grade information: The University of Manchester welcomes the provision of unit grade information which, like all other available information, will inform the consideration of applications. Unit grades will not normally form part of offer conditions, except for Mathematics programmes.

Does this mean that Manchester will expect you to send in your UMS scores, like Cambridge? Or is it by choice? Thank you :smile:
I really need some advice
basically had the worst day ever, my chemistry teacher says he wont predict me an A because i got a B at AS even though i was a few UMS marks off an A overall. I've called unis and they've said dont bother applying. I honestly can not see myself doing anything else it sounds cliche. Just wanted to know what my options are?
Thank you
Original post by ssss
Hi all, could someone explain to me what exactly this means:

Does this mean that Manchester will expect you to send in your UMS scores, like Cambridge? Or is it by choice? Thank you :smile:

Nahh, not UMS scores.

When you apply and add in the qualifications you HAVE to declare the overall grade if it's above a U grade.

So compulsary is say:

Biology: A
Chemistry: B
etc

However you have the option of adding in your individual module grades, not the UMS, just the grade. Which would be:

Unit1: a
Unit2: b
Unit3: a

Unit 1: a
Unit 2: b
Unit 3: b

Etc

Manchester prefer you to put in the extra details, but will not make them part of your offer (ie you must get AAA, not that all modules have to be a's)

Make sense? :smile:

(though remember to check your exam board and put the exact name of the module, not Unit 1 etc)
Original post by missdunni
I really need some advice
basically had the worst day ever, my chemistry teacher says he wont predict me an A because i got a B at AS even though i was a few UMS marks off an A overall. I've called unis and they've said dont bother applying. I honestly can not see myself doing anything else it sounds cliche. Just wanted to know what my options are?
Thank you

You MUST get your chemistry teacher to give you the A grade prediction

Mixture of begging and bribery I'm afraid.

Remind him/her that you are applying for medicine and that you will get rejected on sight with a prediction of B in A2 chemistry.

Also remind him/her that it is not an excessive prediction. It is perfectly acceptable to be predicted one grade above that which you got at AS level. Anything more than one grade above is excessive.

Cry, complain, blackmail. Whatever works!

This is your future and your chemistry teacher is stopping you from being able to achieve this because of a few UMS at AS level.

If all else fails send him/her to me and I'll sort it out :colone:

The alternative options are getting the grades and reapplying with the achieved A2s or GEM :redface:
Can someone just confirm that posting my personal statement to be reviewed will not result in me being caught for plagiarism?

Reply 6974
Original post by Insanity514
Can someone just confirm that posting my personal statement to be reviewed will not result in me being caught for plagiarism?

Confirmed. :h:
You MUST get your chemistry teacher to give you the A grade prediction

Mixture of begging and bribery I'm afraid.

Remind him/her that you are applying for medicine and that you will get rejected on sight with a prediction of B in A2 chemistry.

Also remind him/her that it is not an excessive prediction. It is perfectly acceptable to be predicted one grade above that which you got at AS level. Anything more than one grade above is excessive.

Cry, complain, blackmail. Whatever works!

This is your future and your chemistry teacher is stopping you from being able to achieve this because of a few UMS at AS level.

If all else fails send him/her to me and I'll sort it out :colone:

The alternative options are getting the grades and reapplying with the achieved A2s or GEM :redface:

I cried and he still wasnt moved!
I'm going to talk to other teachers tomorrow and see what they say, like everyone in my school knows I want to do medicine and knows how dedicated I am. Its so frustrating eurghhh :frown:
Reapplying with the acheived A2s would mean have a gap year then apply?
Reply 6976
Nahh, not UMS scores.

When you apply and add in the qualifications you HAVE to declare the overall grade if it's above a U grade.

So compulsary is say:

etc

However you have the option of adding in your individual module grades, not the UMS, just the grade. Which would be:

Unit1: a
Unit2: b
Unit3: a

Unit 1: a
Unit 2: b
Unit 3: b

Etc

Manchester prefer you to put in the extra details, but will not make them part of your offer (ie you must get AAA, not that all modules have to be a's)

Make sense? :smile:

(though remember to check your exam board and put the exact name of the module, not Unit 1 etc)

Oh right I see! I thought that was obligatory on the UCAS form for any university? UCAS won't let me save just the grade without putting the unit grade information anyway! :confused:
Reply 6977
Original post by missdunni
I cried and he still wasnt moved!
I'm going to talk to other teachers tomorrow and see what they say, like everyone in my school knows I want to do medicine and knows how dedicated I am. Its so frustrating eurghhh :frown:
Reapplying with the acheived A2s would mean have a gap year then apply?

Yep. Can you try getting your admissions officer to bump the grade up for you? Afterall, all applications will go through him/her.
Original post by Vulpes
Yep. Can you try getting your admissions officer to bump the grade up for you? Afterall, all applications will go through him/her.

I'll just keep pestering him till he predicts me my A. Will ask other teachers to help out as well. literally don't know what I'm going to do if I cant.
Original post by Vulpes
Confirmed. :h:

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending