The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What sort of stuff are you guys putting in your extra-curricular paragraph on your PS?
Original post by Ariadne xox
Having trouble deciding. :angry:

I'm definitely going to apply to Sheffield and Newcastle, but I can't decide the other two.

It's between: UCL, Leeds, Cardiff, Liverpool, Barts and Manchester.

:emo:

Unless I'm wrong, you got a massive UKCAT score?

Why would you even consider Liverpool then? You might have a personal affinity for the place, but it'd be a risky choice compared to Kings or Barts?
Reply 7202
Original post by EternalDoom
What sort of stuff are you guys putting in your extra-curricular paragraph on your PS?

Sports (football school team, boxing, gym, cross country for school, squash) extra reading, debating.
Original post by Besakt
What was your UKCAT like?

I got a pretty high UKCAT. 810 lol.
Original post by Straight up G
Unless I'm wrong, you got a massive UKCAT score?

Why would you even consider Liverpool then? You might have a personal affinity for the place, but it'd be a risky choice compared to Kings or Barts?

I just really liked Liverpool. :tongue: I didn't like King's at all. Yeah Barts is probably going to be my third choice now.
Reply 7205
I got a pretty high UKCAT. 810 lol.

Why would you even consider Liverpool then? Liverpool don't use UKCAT. Surely you should apply to medical school who put a high emphasis on UKCAT. Play to your strengths.
Original post by Besakt
Why would you even consider Liverpool then? Liverpool don't use UKCAT. Surely you should apply to medical school who put a high emphasis on UKCAT. Play to your strengths.

I just really liked Liverpool. :tongue:

^^^^^

I'd rather go somewhere I like than somewhere I could get into more 'easily' (using the term lightly) :biggrin:

Also, presumably lots of people with lower UKCATs might choose to apply to Liverpool, therefore a higher one maybe a tie-breaker on two otherwise evenly-ranked applicants?

PS. I know we can't just pick and choose, I'm not that naive. :tongue:

Edit: Luckily, most of the ones I like compliment my credentials etc. :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Besakt

Yes I know. I just really like Liverpool. I have a good chance of getting an interview there also... but I'll probably apply to Manchester instead.
Original post by Joseppea
I'd rather go somewhere I like than somewhere I could get into more 'easily' (using the term lightly) :biggrin:

PS. I know we can't pick and choose, I'm not that naive. :tongue:

Aha yeah :redface:
I know I shouldn't apply to Liverpool, and I probably won't, but I really liked it. :moon:
I just really liked Liverpool. :tongue: I didn't like King's at all. Yeah Barts is probably going to be my third choice now.

Ahh right, that's great.
Reply 7210
^^^^^

Also, presumably lots of people with lower UKCATs might choose to apply to Liverpool, therefore a higher one maybe a tie-breaker on two otherwise evenly-ranked applicants?

PS. I know we can't just pick and choose, I'm not that naive. :tongue:

Liverpool don't use the UKCAT. As in even if you never took the UKCAT you would still have a chance of getting in (as long as you meet their other criteria).

PS. I know we can't pick and choose, I'm not that naive. :tongue:

I think when choosing your 4 unis, you should be thinking practically. Avoid the unis which have admissions systems which disadvantage you.

If you are in the luxurious position of being able to choose which offer to accept, then look at which you 'like' the most :smile:
Reply 7212
Yes I know. I just really like Liverpool. I have a good chance of getting an interview there also... but I'll probably apply to Manchester instead.

Like the PBL? I went to the taster day and my taster PBL group were so unmotivated it was like they never wanted to even be there. Then again just like any other teaching method it has its pros and cons. I remember reading somewhere that PBL students perform worse than their lecture based counter parts at university but in the long run after they graduate they tend to pick and learn things faster and better.
I think I won't apply to UCL either. I don't see the point in taking the risk with the BMAT. :beard:
Original post by Besakt
Like the PBL? I went to the taster day and my taster PBL group were so unmotivated it was like they never wanted to even be there. Then again just like any other teaching method it has its pros and cons. I remember reading somewhere that PBL students perform worse than their lecture based counter parts at university but in the long run after they graduate they tend to pick and learn things faster and better.

Aha yeah actually. I really like PBL. I know a lot of people don't like it, and sometimes it's called 'teaching yourself' but I think it would be quite effective with me.

And yeah, I heard that too. I don't really mind either type of course. As long as it's medicine!
Original post by Besakt
Liverpool don't use the UKCAT. As in even if you never took the UKCAT you would still have a chance of getting in (as long as you meet their other criteria).

Ah okay, I am mistaken. :ashamed:

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I think when choosing your 4 unis, you should be thinking practically. Avoid the unis which have admissions systems which disadvantage you.

If you are in the luxurious position of being able to choose which offer to accept, then look at which you 'like' the most :smile:

I know I know, :tongue: I wasn't trying to imply that situation. More saying, surely it'd be better to go somewhere you'd enjoy than somewhere that you got into just for a particular criteria that you might not enjoy. It must be a pretty great experience at any medical school! :tongue:

This is why I'm struggling to find a 4th option, it's a head-over-heart situation really. :colondollar:
Aha yeah actually. I really like PBL. I know a lot of people don't like it, and sometimes it's called 'teaching yourself' but I think it would be quite effective with me.

And yeah, I heard that too. I don't really mind either type of course. As long as it's medicine!

Have you considered the UEA? They're very PBL-heavy? :smile:

(Wait, don't apply there, you're a better applicant than me! :zomg: :wink:)
Have you considered the UEA? They're very PBL-heavy? :smile:

(Wait, don't apply there, you're a better applicant than me! :zomg: :wink:)

Aha I didn't really like UEA :colondollar:

I like PBL, but I'm not going to apply JUST because it's PBL.... Dunno. :emo:
Ah okay, I am mistaken. :ashamed:

I know I know, :tongue: I wasn't trying to imply that situation. More saying, surely it'd be better to go somewhere you'd enjoy than somewhere that you got into just for a particular criteria that you might not enjoy. It must be a pretty great experience at any medical school! :tongue:

This is why I'm struggling to find a 4th option, it's a head-over-heart situation really. :colondollar:

Trouble is that there really is no way to tell. I mean I find Aberdeen pretty good, but I've nothing to compare it to (other than open days :rolleyes:)
Aha I didn't really like UEA :colondollar:

I like PBL, but I'm not going to apply JUST because it's PBL.... Dunno. :emo:

Ah okay, fair enough. :smile: Thought I'd put it out there to confuse you further with deciding on somewhere. :colone:

....what about Leicester? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending