The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7260
Original post by Joseppea
Sure, no problem :smile:

They rank your top 6 gcses (Including maths, English and science.)
A* = 5
A = 4
B = 3 etc.

Add that up to get a score out of 30.

Then they rank your UKCAT as follows:
Total score:
3000+ = 30
2900-3000 = 29
2800-2900 = 28
2700-2800 = 27 etc.

Then you add them together to get a score out of 60. I imagine they interview people around the 50 mark? :confused:

Thanks a bunch!
Although that does make me uneasy... I score at ABOUT 52 but thats only if I get 3000+ in Ukcat :s-smilie: Whats the Ukcat average of that score?
Reply 7261
I want to finish my personal statement with ''JUST INTERVIEW ME AND YOU'LL FIND OUT, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE :adore: :facepalm2:
Reply 7262
i really need some help my school deadline is monday:

at gcse i got 7A* 4A
AS level i got 4A's
ukcat i got average of 627.5

what universities are my best options ?

i really want to apply to kings and nottingham what are my chances ? thanks :smile:
Reply 7263
Original post by kimmey
i really need some help my school deadline is monday:

at gcse i got 7A* 4A
AS level i got 4A's
ukcat i got average of 627.5

what universities are my best options ?

i really want to apply to kings and nottingham what are my chances ? thanks :smile:

Nottingham - "We do NOT operate a threshold for the UKCAT test results. When marking your
application, we will mark each of the scores you received for the four cognitive components of the UKCAT test, together with your personal statement, highest 8 GCSE's and answers to our on-line questionnaire. The total score an individual gains is compared with all other applications and the 800 highest scoring applicants are invited for interview."

Kings - "Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. Normally,
candidates are selected from those with scores within the top 25% of the applicant pool. Within this group, all indicators are then considered for the final selection of interviewees.Your UKCAT scores will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool)the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview."
Are you meant to put UKCAT score on the UCAS application?
I thought they sent results across at some point after 25th October..? but i did anyhow
GCSE: 2A*'s, 3A's, 8 B's and 3C's (my school was really rough)
AS: A-EPQ, B- Psycholgy, D- Chemistry, D-Maths
A2: likely to be predicted between ABC-ACC.
A level: French (C) 2008 year 9
OU short course: SK185 molecules, medicine and drugs

VR: 470 QR: 400 AR:590 DA:630 (revised for 2 months :| haaaaaaa :'( guess I am just retarded, but I dont want to give up on medicine)

Training: qualified first aider and Phelobotomy. currently doing advanced first aid training.

Work experience:
2 days shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon
2 weeks at GP
St john ambulance - first aiding at football matches, concerts other events.
over 3 month volunteering at hospital
care centre for eldery with dementia and disablibity
rehab centre - talking to teenagers and adults with drug and drinking addiction.
sports leader at primary schools
maths deparment in school helping year 9,10 with gcse maths
shadowing consultant - hospital
shadowing physiotherapist in hospital
---
extra curricular:
life guard (swimming) at a local sports centre.
DOE - Gold
School trip to Birmingham University - included experimenting in the medical science department.
violin ,swimming and netball. yoga classes, dance classes and teaching young kids
---
Jobs:
Newlook - 1 year.
Care home - health care assistant- confirmed, starting in October 2011,
waitress at a restaurant
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7267
gcse's 7A* 4A, AS levels 4A's, ukcat: 627.5, A2 predicitons A*A*A

any advice on where i can apply and stand a good chance ? :smile:
Reply 7268
Do st georges allow As level module resits?
Original post by rsp
Do st georges allow As level module resits?

Fairly sure it's fine, it's only UCL and Cambridge that aren't fond of resits.
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Can I ask how you revised for the ukcat? I'm taking it soon and don't know what to do :frown:

Woah sorry, late reply! :frown:

Well I used the 600Q book... went over that twice.
I also did quite a few questions online... just randomly finding anything and everything I can practice with!

Technique was to keep doing questions until I had my own little routine and was comfortable with the style!

I have to say... the real thing was much easier than the practice! :headfire:
Reply 7271
In the UCAS form, under additional information, there are 2 slots for 'activities in preparation for higher education'. How do you add more? - or are there only supposed to be 2 slots?

Original post by Ariadne xox
Woah sorry, late reply! :frown:

Well I used the 600Q book... went over that twice.
I also did quite a few questions online... just randomly finding anything and everything I can practice with!

Technique was to keep doing questions until I had my own little routine and was comfortable with the style!

I have to say... the real thing was much easier than the practice! :headfire:

Thanks :smile: I have mine on the 1st of october and I havent even finished the 600 book once let alone twice :eek:
AS- 3As (chemistry, biology and maths) and a B (spanish).
A2- Will probably be predicted 2/3 A*s and A/2As.
UKCAT - average of 650.
GCSE - 2A*s 7As and a B.
Was thinking of applying to endinburgh, kings college, dundee and queen mary!
Any advice?
Not sure about UCL/imperial because of the BMAT :/
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Thanks :smile: I have mine on the 1st of october and I havent even finished the 600 book once let alone twice :eek:

Aha :colondollar:
I started about a month ago and I did quite a bit everyday!

Just make sure when you get there you relax. Don't be nervous :smile:

And yeah I'm not really that great at giving advice. Sorry :frown:
Reply 7275
Original post by 126Ve960
Has anyone been reading any books? Like to gain background knowledge for interviews etc? Dunno if I'm supposed to :s-smilie:

I have. I read stuff like BMJ, BMA, New Scientist, Economist. And I've read The private life of the Brain (By S.Greenfield) and The selfish gene (R.Dawkins). I read them a while back so I have to read them again to jog my memory before the interview. :smile:
I got 2570 - 643.5 average, i'm happy with that, too low for Newcastle but ah well!
Reply 7277
Original post by Besakt
I have. I read stuff like BMJ, BMA, New Scientist, Economist. And I've read The private life of the Brain (By S.Greenfield) and The selfish gene (R.Dawkins). I read them a while back so I have to read them again to jog my memory before the interview. :smile:

and you managed to mention all of them in your PS? :confused:
Reply 7278
Original post by Cleoleo
and you managed to mention all of them in your PS? :confused:

I've mentioned it, I'm attempting to redraft and making it smaller so it fits into UCAS at the moment. :redface:
Original post by Ariadne xox
Aha :colondollar:
I started about a month ago and I did quite a bit everyday!

Just make sure when you get there you relax. Don't be nervous :smile:

And yeah I'm not really that great at giving advice. Sorry :frown:

Thanks, I also have to do a lot then! and you did fine thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending