The Student Room Group

got my ear pierced,but it wont heal :/

i got my ear pierced back in may, i followed the instructions to spray it with savlon for 6 weeks then it should be fine. But its not healed, its been at least 4 months. im not worried, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar thing and what did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Has it swollen at all or any bleeding?

When I got mine done they took ages to heel and kept bleeding and was quite painful when I tried to swivel it round. I went to doctors and they said I was allergic to the type of earrings I was wearing.

Have you tried wearing a different type of earring?
get some sterling silver or gold earrings in there. none of this stainless steel or coated stuff either. if it really is the metal type that should clear it up pretty quickly and its worth the investment. if its still irritating, get some antibiotics and switch to plastic earrings.
Reply 3
The healing time for piercings varies on different people. My rook piercing is still all angry and infected and I've had it done for over a year. The best thing to do is leave the original jewellery in (as often it's bigger than what it needs to be to allow for initial swelling, but then it also allows for blow-ups!), and leave it alone (if you keep touching/squeezing it will end up migrating. I should know, cos that's how I lost my belly bar and tragus bar.)
Reply 4
Savlon?!?

If it's not healing you should be cleaning the area with saline (=salt water) day and night, or just using the LITHA method (Leave It The Hell Alone).

Is it a lobe piercing and what jewellery do you have in it?
Reply 5
If it was gunned, then go a proper piercer (i.e. one who doesn't use guns...) and get the jewellery changed to titanium, preferably a labret stud or barbell rather than a ring.
Reply 6
Keep it really clean and if possible gold earings, it could be due to the type of metal in the earings
What type of ear piercing is it? If its anything other than lobe than you can expect a longer healing period. My scaffold took about 4-6 months to fully heal, it still flares up now if i sleep on it to much or funny.
Reply 8
DO NOT put silver in it, that will irritate the hell out of it. You need preferably titanium or surgical stainless steel. Or as suggested, go to a PROPER piercer and get them to change it for you. I had my ears gunned and it took weeks, had another done with a needle and it healed in 4 weeks. Next time go to somewhere reputable.
Reply 9
I didn't have any problem with gunned + silver studs but people definitely vary. (My more recent experience is with stretching, and I learnt tons from good body piercing forums)
Reply 10
Thanks for all the replies people :smile: its my ear lobe i got pierced, it was done with a needle by a reputable piercer :P im not sure what type of stud it is, one that screws on at the back, a labret maybe? I will definately try bathin it in salt water morning and evening and see what happens, cheers :smile:
remember to turn them every day it definitely helps :smile: i not speak to parents/sister etc?
Reply 12
Original post by ellanachughtai
remember to turn them every day it definitely helps :smile: i not speak to parents/sister etc?

No, no, no, no.
Both times I have had my ears pierced, both at reputable tattoo and piercing places, I was advised to turn them, just once daily, and to clean the piercings with salt water on a tissue (not cotton wool as this leaves fibres behind which can lead to infection)

Healing time varies from person to person, my second ones were done in april and still ooze sometimes, don't stress too much, if you're really worried just go back to wherever you got them done and just ask them to check you're healing properly as you're a bit concerned.
Reply 14
Original post by rachelkeira
Both times I have had my ears pierced, both at reputable tattoo and piercing places, I was advised to turn them, just once daily, and to clean the piercings with salt water on a tissue (not cotton wool as this leaves fibres behind which can lead to infection)

Healing time varies from person to person, my second ones were done in april and still ooze sometimes, don't stress too much, if you're really worried just go back to wherever you got them done and just ask them to check you're healing properly as you're a bit concerned.

You are only holding it to your ears not rubbing, there is just as much dust, fibre and crap on a tissue then there is on a ball of cotton wool.
Original post by Trigger
You are only holding it to your ears not rubbing, there is just as much dust, fibre and crap on a tissue then there is on a ball of cotton wool.

You need to rub to remove the gunk that builds up, have you ever even had a piercing?
Also, a piercing is like an open wound for the first few weeks, any basic first aid handbook will inform you that using cotton wool on an open wound is a HUGE no-no.
Reply 16
Original post by rachelkeira
You need to rub to remove the gunk that builds up, have you ever even had a piercing?
Also, a piercing is like an open wound for the first few weeks, any basic first aid handbook will inform you that using cotton wool on an open wound is a HUGE no-no.
Nurses and drs apply cotton wool to needle wounds, are you going to tell them they are wrong too? You do not need to rub, you soak it off then perhaps a wipe but you do not rub. And yes, over 9.
Get tea tree oil, dilute it with some water and apply to the area. Works wonders!!
Reply 18
Original post by funkeymunkey
get tea tree oil, dilute it with some water and apply to the area. Works wonders!!

noooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Original post by Trigger
Nurses and drs apply cotton wool to needle wounds, are you going to tell them they are wrong too? You do not need to rub, you soak it off then perhaps a wipe but you do not rub. And yes, over 9.

Just asked my friend who works as a body piercer and tattoo artist and has all the proper qualifications etc...
Definitely NEVER use cotton wool. Doctors and nurses use a special type that does not leave fibres behind. Your average run of the mill cotton wool is totally unsafe for use on open wounds and piercings.
Also, you do have to turn your piercings to discourage the surrounding skin from gorwing too tightly around the piercing, or even over the piercing, in some cases...

This information I got from someone with over 10 years experience in body piercing.

Quick Reply

Latest