The Student Room Group

We broke up for uni, how do I deal with it?

Was officially with my boyfriend for about 4 or 5 months.
We were good friends before, had really good chemistry (so I'm worried I'll like him when I see him again) and had a really great summer together.
I'm taking a gap year and he's going to uni like 6 hours away so we've just split up, he probably wouldn't cope well with long distance.

Someone help me get over him! I need help, I properly fell for him, we got really close.
But unlike him I don't have freshers to distract me :frown:. Feel pretty down right now. I miss him loads.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Please someone I could really do with some advice right now!
Reply 3
Whose decision was it to break up? Or was it mutual?
Reply 4
Original post by Inner Poise
Whose decision was it to break up? Or was it mutual?

By the end I really wanted to stay with him, but I know it would be so hard with the distance. I feel like I should have tried to convince him more to stay with me, I miss him so much and I feel like now I'll never know if we should have given long distance a shot, I'll always wonder if it could have worked!

We're gonna talk today, he'll ring me, I feel like we have a good thing going but he doesn't seem to believe in long distance tbh but then again he's never tried it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
By the end I really wanted to stay with him, but I know it would be so hard with the distance. I feel like I should have tried to convince him more to stay with me, I miss him so much and I feel like now I'll never know if we should have given long distance a shot, I'll always wonder if it could have worked!

We're gonna talk today, he'll ring me, I feel like we have a good thing going but he doesn't seem to believe in long distance tbh but then again he's never tried it.

Well... I agree 6 hours away is really far. And I understand that breaking up seemed best now (perhaps to save heartache later..?).

But if you're both unhappy, if neither of you wanted to break up, and if both of you still have the same feelings - and if you think you can recover from it - I wouldn't give up so easily. Sorry if that seems harsh; I've never been through this myself, but have seen it happen to a couple of friends, and they've always got back together within a matter of weeks.

I just think that if your feelings are strong enough to withstand the distance, and you love him that much, then you owe it yourself to give it a shot. Would probably be better to have tried again and failed than to not try at all and wonder what could have been.

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Was officially with my boyfriend for about 4 or 5 months.

Try 4 years, you will be over this in a couple of months, just don't rush it.
Reply 7
Original post by Inner Poise
Well... I agree 6 hours away is really far. And I understand that breaking up seemed best now (perhaps to save heartache later..?).

But if you're both unhappy, if neither of you wanted to break up, and if both of you still have the same feelings - and if you think you can recover from it - I wouldn't give up so easily. Sorry if that seems harsh; I've never been through this myself, but have seen it happen to a couple of friends, and they've always got back together within a matter of weeks.

I just think that if your feelings are strong enough to withstand the distance, and you love him that much, then you owe it yourself to give it a shot. Would probably be better to have tried again and failed than to not try at all and wonder what could have been.

:smile:

Yeah I'm gonna try and talk to him today. The thing is I'd quite like to go travelling this year so we'd be apart then :frown: but I don't know if I will. Plus his course does have very short terms.

But then again he's hopeless at keeping in contact, I'm just scared as well I'll have a lonely gap year and not meet anyone else. God I miss him so much already, I really do wanna give it a shot.

I can even see myself going for a casual thing with him which is so not like me!
Reply 8
Original post by Ciaran88
Try 4 years, you will be over this in a couple of months, just don't rush it.

I'm on a gap year so not really meeting anyone who I could even potentially date and don't want to be on my own. Stuff happened before we go out and I feel like I won't be over him for a long long time, sort of fell for him so hard.
Reply 9
Deffo staying apart, how do I get over him? And hating the fact he's having the time of his life at freshers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending