The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
Did you get a visit day invite?

Yeah, got it yesterday, was all excited thinking it might be an interview or something xD
Reply 8661
Original post by Joseppea
I've got a biomed offer from UEA, but haven't heard anything interview-wise from anywhere for medicine...maybe they're just saving the best 'till last? :smug:

I joke of course, it's still really early, they haven't even received our UKCAT results yet, so few decisions will be able to be made until they have :smile:

I'm the same, got a biomed offer from Warwick earlier today. If only medicine admissions were the same :rolleyes:
Original post by cz100
I'm the same, got a biomed offer from Warwick earlier today. If only medicine admissions were the same :rolleyes:

Wow, well done. Warwick is the uni I most wanted to go to, but unfortunately they only do graduate medicine programmes. I assume you'd only take it if you missed your grades?
Original post by mike2niner4
Has anyone heard anything apart from acknowledgements for Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol or Lancaster??

People are starting to get offers (not for Medicine) now at my college, it's so annoying having to wait aha!

Find a comfy sofa.. with medicine you can be in for a long wait before hearing a single thing :tongue:

Could be february before you hear from any of them :redface:
Reply 8664
Original post by Straight up G
Wow, well done. Warwick is the uni I most wanted to go to, but unfortunately they only do graduate medicine programmes. I assume you'd only take it if you missed your grades?

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would even take it this year... would give medicine 2 goes at least before I take something else.
Original post by nikkiekemp77

I have had nothing from Lancaster at all. But application via Liverpool for Lancaster I have had acknowledgement. Some don't acknowledge though. The one from keele said overall 2260 students have applied to medicine. That include graduate, pre med and medicine 5 year programme. They said around December we should hear from them! That long :eek: hope some come in earlier.

Much improved (from our perspective) from last year then, when there was in excess of 3,000 applicants to the undergraduate course alone.
Original post by CraigKirk
Much improved (from our perspective) from last year then, when there was in excess of 3,000 applicants to the undergraduate course alone.

Ahhh right so this is a bonus then? Ok! That's one hell of a drop, wonder if the fees going up to £9000 per year has something to do with it. :tongue:
Ahhh right so this is a bonus then? Ok! That's one hell of a drop, wonder if the fees going up to £9000 per year has something to do with it. :tongue:

I think so :yep: And the increased entry requirements, and the fact that many people were scared off by the huge number of applicants last year :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa

I think so :yep: And the increased entry requirements, and the fact that many people were scared off by the huge number of applicants last year :smile:

Indeed, all these factors come together. I think a lot of people used Keele last year as their 'safe' choice (after learning of the intensity of competition last year the hard way, I do not believe that there is any such thing as being 'safe' with medicine) and that's why the numbers were so high. In particular, for 2011 entry, Keele was one of the few which offered AAB entry grades, whereas everywhere requires AAA (or A*AB=360 points) minimum now, so this desirable has been removed.

As for the £9000 tuition fees thing, I think anyone who wants to be a doctor and is worried about being able to pay a student loan back has clearly not thought it through like we might expect a medic to think problems through, so being dissuaded for financial reasons is probably a good thing for us.
Original post by CraigKirk
Indeed, all these factors come together. I think a lot of people used Keele last year as their 'safe' choice (after learning of the intensity of competition last year the hard way, I do not believe that there is any such thing as being 'safe' with medicine) and that's why the numbers were so high. In particular, for 2011 entry, Keele was one of the few which offered AAB entry grades, whereas everywhere requires AAA (or A*AB=360 points) minimum now, so this desirable has been removed.

As for the £9000 tuition fees thing, I think anyone who wants to be a doctor and is worried about being able to pay a student loan back has clearly not thought it through like we might expect a medic to think problems through, so being dissuaded for financial reasons is probably a good thing for us.

Yay woohoo! :smile::tongue:
Well all my med applications have finally been confirmed and my non-med= offer so wait is on

Anyone know when BMAT results come out
Original post by DHolliday

Well all my med applications have finally been confirmed and my non-med= offer so wait is on

We get them 22nd I think, universities get them on the 18 th xx
Reply 8672

23rd November :smile:
Reply 8673
my friend who applied and sent off her form on 12/9/11 (first in the year but for biology course) just got her first offer from birmingham!! - she waited a long time esp for her course!
Original post by mementomori
our UKCAT scores get sent off to unis on the 4th.

:redface: That's a relief- I thought that they had our scores already! How did you find this out?
Original post by puddleduck
:redface: That's a relief- I thought that they had our scores already! How did you find this out?

Twitter :smile:
Reply 8676
Twitter :smile:

In 24 hours and 30 minutes universities will have our UKCAT. :eek:
Original post by Besakt
In 24 hours and 30 minutes universities will have our UKCAT. :eek:

Eeeeeekkkkk! :afraid:
Reply 8678
Eeeeeekkkkk! :afraid:

And then BANG