The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
GCSE - 2A* 8A 1B
As-level - AAAA (Maths, Chem, Bio, Tech)
A- Levels - A*AA (Maths, Chem, Bio)

UKCAT - 622.5 :cry2:

Aberdeen
Glasgow
Dundee
Queens Belfast

the qualifications are decent but its the UKCAT thats killing my application off even though i worked harder for it this time its worse :stomp:
Reply 9701
Original post by Doctor2b
GCSE - 2A* 8A 1B

Aberdeen
Glasgow
Dundee
Queens Belfast

the qualifications are decent but its the UKCAT thats killing my application off even though i worked harder for it this time its worse :stomp:

If it's any consolation my UKCAT is far worse.
Reply 9702
Original post by Besakt
If it's any consolation my UKCAT is far worse.

you had the sense to pick universities that dont place as much emphasis on the ukcat aka leeds (as far as i know)

ive gotton to the stage where i feel sick every time i think of my application - i dont eat (maybe once a day) and only sleep 2-3 hours every night. It was the exact same last year and i always have this huge sinking feeling and i dont want to have it anymore - although it could also have something to do with the weather as i get this feeling after long spells of rainy weather but the stress of ucas adds to it
Reply 9703
you had the sense to pick universities that dont place as much emphasis on the ukcat aka leeds (as far as i know)

ive gotton to the stage where i feel sick every time i think of my application - i dont eat (maybe once a day) and only sleep 2-3 hours every night. It was the exact same last year and i always have this huge sinking feeling and i dont want to have it anymore - although it could also have something to do with the weather as i get this feeling after long spells of rainy weather but the stress of ucas adds to it

I have a stalker. :colone:

I would say you have a pretty strong application if you ask me.
Reply 9704
but stalkers can be fun
No disrespect to anyone here but i feel that we are waaaaaaay past the finger crossing stage in my case. There are sooooo many people here with UKCAT above 700 and who are far better qualified than i am and i think that the best course of action for me now is to prepare for not getting medicine - i have worked my hardest over the past 7 years soley for medicine and have failed epicly at the final hurdle (twice over) this way it will be easier for me than being optimistic and having it all ripped out from under me again because it has happened in my life too many times before.

Just remember that TSR don't represent the majority of the population. And people were interviewed and got unconditionals at Aberdeen last year with lower ukcat that yours some with 590, 595 and 615 and there were people who were rejected with higher. You have your grades and that puts you in a much better position even with your ukcat and man you has a freakin A* and probably a much better personal statement.

Although I guess that is the logical thing to do, having a back up plan I mean. I would be doing the same if I could bring myself to do it - but I just can't. I won't accept it until it's actually over cause I'm too darn stuborn :tongue:

GCSE - 2A* 8A 1B

Aberdeen
Glasgow
Dundee
Queens Belfast

I think the average UKCAT according to their twitter was 2476. That's 619 average across all sections.

This is for your reference; your UKCAT in this sense does not detract from your application, it just doesn't further it greatly. Seriously consider what the others are saying here as I imagine there probably still is a decent chance of you getting an interview.
Reply 9707
hey guys does anyone know how many people get interviews at UEA
Reply 9708
just out of curiosity, does anyone know, if you don't make it to any medical school programs, can you still apply through Extra? What are the chances? :smile: (I'm asking this because I'm an international applicant who only applied to three medical school programs and just got rejected by one today :redface:
Original post by lizzy999
just out of curiosity, does anyone know, if you don't make it to any medical school programs, can you still apply through Extra? What are the chances? :smile: (I'm asking this because I'm an international applicant who only applied to three medical school programs and just got rejected by one today :redface:

Not sure bout others too much,

But I'm almost dead certain B&L,KCL,UCL,Cam,Edinburgh and HYMS do not even enter clearing for medicine.
Reply 9710
Just randomly thinking into the future... most universities state 3 A's and not 360 UCAS points, but if it comes to results day and one gets A*AB, what are the chances of a university making an exception, or is it 3 A's and nothing else, no exceptions?
Original post by hslakaal
Not sure bout others too much,

But I'm almost dead certain B&L,KCL,UCL,Cam,Edinburgh and HYMS do not even enter clearing for medicine.

Original post by lizzy999

I'm almost 100% certain that Medicine won't be in clearing because it's already such a competitive subject they won't need to go through it :/ I've never heard of it being on Extra either. You can apply for other courses if you want though :smile:
Reply 9712
hey guys - got an interview through today for queens belfast - my number one choice :redface:.

Sorry about last nights wee rant session - just sometimes i have a down day where i fell like crap and nothings going my way, thanks for the logical support to everyone who tried to cheer me up, now i have to go so that i can try to figure out how best to prepare for MMI
hey guys - got an interview through today for queens belfast - my number one choice :redface:.

Sorry about last nights wee rant session - just sometimes i have a down day where i fell like crap and nothings going my way, thanks for the logical support to everyone who tried to cheer me up, now i have to go so that i can try to figure out how best to prepare for MMI

Ahhh, that's really good news! Good for you and good luck.
Original post by loz876
Just randomly thinking into the future... most universities state 3 A's and not 360 UCAS points, but if it comes to results day and one gets A*AB, what are the chances of a university making an exception, or is it 3 A's and nothing else, no exceptions?

There are some unis that accept A*AB- Keele and BSMS as far as I'm aware- but other than that I don't think unis give much leeway. :s-smilie:
Reply 9715
Original post by Parle à ma main
Ahhh, that's really good news! Good for you and good luck.

Your UKCAT is similar to mine. How much emphasis does Aberdeen put on UKCAT?
Original post by Besakt
Your UKCAT is similar to mine. How much emphasis does Aberdeen put on UKCAT?

8%. But that's including interview scores. So really it's closer to about 17% (I worked it out but can't remember) pre-interview.

Where did you apply? :smile: Leeds, UEA and...?
Reply 9717
Oh man I'm really starting to doubt my chances! Got a rejection from Oxford already and doubt I'll have much chance at KCL, BSMS or Nottingham with my low UKCAT 637.5 :frown:

Damn you verbal reasoning, I HATE that section!!
Reply 9718
Original post by Parle à ma main
8%. But that's including interview scores. So really it's closer to about 17% (I worked it out but can't remember) pre-interview.

Where did you apply? :smile: Leeds, UEA and...?

Southampton. I only picked 3 medicine and 2 back ups looking back on it that was a bad move, should have done 4 medicine. Stupid teachers trying convince me I'm not good enough and I believed them. :confused:
Original post by Besakt
Southampton. I only picked 3 medicine and 2 back ups looking back on it that was a bad move, should have done 4 medicine. Stupid teachers trying convince me I'm not good enough and I believed them. :confused:

:s-smilie: Did your teachers actually say things along those lines? That's awful. The only reason I was ok with my UKCAT was that I had nice friends who sat down with me and reassured me I wasn't stupid, and then helped me figure out where I could apply. The last thing you need when you're applying to something like med is someone saying you're not good enough, jeez.

Although you did pick the three choices wisely and it only takes one offer. :smile:

Would you take the backups if you had to or would you reapply?

Latest

Trending

Trending