The Student Room Group

About to take amitriptyline....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by John Lord
I knew someone who took it. They got really fat and had severe side affects. They have been off it for over a year now and still complain of headaches and dizzyness. Before she took it she was really thin but now she is still grossly over-weight. Maybe it will work for you though.

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I was one of the best up and coming swimmers in the country (BMI of 21.1), aiming for the 2012 Olympics. Starting taking Amitriptyline (for Hemiplegic Migraines) and now I have a BMI of 35. F*** Amitriptyline. I can't even go out and exercise like I used to because everyone just looks at me like "Lol, what a fat cow, shouldn't you be at McDonalds."
I wish I'd never starting taking it, it has literally ruined my life.
Reply 21
Original post by Quiet _One86
I am on them, take them an hour before bed. I came off them by consequence felt so rubbish, so I went back on them mid November and still waiting for them to work. I am off work at the minute trying to recover from a spiral of depression, fatigue, stomach pains and general worn down. I am hoping to get back to the doc what's happening with me and hope that the Amitriptyline kicks in soon, my migranes have subsided but the depression and fatigue and sleep disturbances are back and pains. So what's going on there I don't know.

Hi Quiet One, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with chronic pain. I know it's hard but try and focus on the positive- at least you're migraines are under control a bit better. Remember amitriptyline is effective in most types on chronic pain, so hopefully your stomach pains will go away too. Pain can be exhausting so I'm not surprised you feel tired and worn down.

Like I said before- do try and stay positive. Depression doesn't directly cause pain, but it makes coping with it so much harder. Best of luck.
Reply 22
Original post by darthgirlie
If you find that its still not working for you, ask you doctor for triptans (im not sure whether ive spelt that right) its a group of drugs that you take after your migrane that are brilliant compared to amytriptyline , imo. I take rizatripan melt on your tongue, tastes a bit funky but i find it works wonders :P Good Luck.

I just wanted to clarify a few things on this post Darthgirlie, there's a lot of misinformation about migraine treatment out there!

Anti-depressants (ie, amitriptyline), anti seizures and beta blockers are used as preventative treatment for migraine- you take these everyday to hopefully stop migraines occurring.

Triptans (ie, rizatriptan) and painkillers are used as abortive treatment for migraine. These are taken when a migraine is about to occur. They are less effective when a migraine has already started- and there would certainly be no point in taking them after a migraine!

Therefore rizatriptan is not really a substitute for amitriptyline as they are used in completely different ways. Taking more than 10 days worth of painkillers/triptans per month is not ok, and will only cause rebound headaches and migraine. Therefore, if your migraines are of these frequency you really should be on a preventative treatment.
Reply 23
Original post by Quiet _One86
Thanks for that, I do find the tongue goes numb with the Amitriptyline. I have been told that I have to stay on them. I find my sleep is disturbed by taking this.

Quiet one- try the amitriptyline for 3 months. Remember lots of side effects will disappear once your body is used to the drug.

If you really aren't tolerating it over that time, there are so many migraine drugs and eventually you will find one that works well for you.

Also I'm really surprised you find your sleep is disturbed by ami- are you sure this isn't caused by something else?
Original post by Apa
Yeah the same thing happened to me. I was one of the best up and coming swimmers in the country (BMI of 21.1), aiming for the 2012 Olympics. Starting taking Amitriptyline (for Hemiplegic Migraines) and now I have a BMI of 35. F*** Amitriptyline. I can't even go out and exercise like I used to because everyone just looks at me like "Lol, what a fat cow, shouldn't you be at McDonalds."
I wish I'd never starting taking it, it has literally ruined my life.

Damn, that really sucks.

I thought my weight gain from meds was bad enough but that's out of this world.

:console:
Original post by Alanine
I just wanted to clarify a few things on this post Darthgirlie, there's a lot of misinformation about migraine treatment out there!

Anti-depressants (ie, amitriptyline), anti seizures and beta blockers are used as preventative treatment for migraine- you take these everyday to hopefully stop migraines occurring.

Triptans (ie, rizatriptan) and painkillers are used as abortive treatment for migraine. These are taken when a migraine is about to occur. They are less effective when a migraine has already started- and there would certainly be no point in taking them after a migraine!

Therefore rizatriptan is not really a substitute for amitriptyline as they are used in completely different ways. Taking more than 10 days worth of painkillers/triptans per month is not ok, and will only cause rebound headaches and migraine. Therefore, if your migraines are of these frequency you really should be on a preventative treatment.

Sorry that was a miscommunication on my part.
Original post by Alanine
One week update: no obvious side effects from 10mg per day. Really pleased with that! Sadly no pain reduction either, but it's too soon to tell really.

for Neuropathic pain ? i know of people who need 75 mg for adequate symptom control
Reply 27
Original post by zippyRN
for Neuropathic pain ? i know of people who need 75 mg for adequate symptom control

Hi Zippy- I'm titrating up so currently on 30mg. I'll keep upping the dose til the pain goes away or side effects become intolerable. It's definitely helping but still got a way to go... I'm a medic so (unfortunately) well aware that chronic pain is a hard one to treat!
Original post by Alanine
Hi Zippy- I'm titrating up so currently on 30mg. I'll keep upping the dose til the pain goes away or side effects become intolerable. It's definitely helping but still got a way to go... I'm a medic so (unfortunately) well aware that chronic pain is a hard one to treat!

indeed it is , are you on a pregabalin / gabapentin as well ? as they seem to work quite effectively for some people with neuropathic pain as well
Reply 29
I took 10mg of amitriptyline as a sleeping tablet, though I'm still prescribed it I don't take it very often anymore. I didn't really get any side effects other than the drowsiness, which kicked in about an hour to an hour and a half after taking it, but that was what I wanted obviously. I did sometimes find that I would be cloudy headed and struggle to wake up properly in the morning after but that was it.
Reply 30
Original post by zippyRN
indeed it is , are you on a pregabalin / gabapentin as well ? as they seem to work quite effectively for some people with neuropathic pain as well

Right now just 200mg atenolol along with the ami. I'm going to give myself 2 more months on them, gabapentin is going to be the next one I try if I'm not getting enough relief. To be fair, I've gone from 6-7 migraine days per week to only 1-4 per week, so its clearly doing something.

I do think treating it as neuropathic pain makes sense- I get bizzare 'bursts' of pain in my head, ears etc, which does seem to indicate that sort of problem!
Original post by Alanine
Quiet one- try the amitriptyline for 3 months. Remember lots of side effects will disappear once your body is used to the drug.

If you really aren't tolerating it over that time, there are so many migraine drugs and eventually you will find one that works well for you.

Also I'm really surprised you find your sleep is disturbed by ami- are you sure this isn't caused by something else?

I am poorly, had major surgery to remove my gallbladder in July, the treatment of possible CFS needs to see that I am trying everything and my GP says that Ami is the best thing for me atm, I don't know if he's talking nonscence but I don't know what to do, the sleep interruption is driving me insane, as I lie awake most nights till 1-2am. I feel its gotten worse lately, I also get so cold at night, and the sleep once I do get some are intercepted with vivid life like dreams. I don't know what to do. My bf broke up with back in March, thats been the past possible background worries, but I've moved on now. Had problems with sleeping when I was with him also, so don't know what could be causing me these issues. I have been off work for two weeks (sick leave) back tomorrow.
I’m using Amatryptaline for migraines and I’ve been doing well with my sleep schedule; however, I am currently experiencing the following: numbness in the tongue, aching muscles, sore throat, and I have had a panick attack. I did some research and apparently that’s pretty normal, but I think I need confirmation from other people who are taking the drug as well- just to be safe. 😬
Original post by ZiggyStardust33
I’m using Amatryptaline for migraines and I’ve been doing well with my sleep schedule; however, I am currently experiencing the following: numbness in the tongue, aching muscles, sore throat, and I have had a panick attack. I did some research and apparently that’s pretty normal, but I think I need confirmation from other people who are taking the drug as well- just to be safe. 😬

I would see you GP to check. Some people on this thread have mentioned similar but best to check.

also this thread is 6 years old
Original post by Jenniferann232
I would see you GP to check. Some people on this thread have mentioned similar but best to check.

also this thread is 6 years old

Well now I feel a bit dumb, I suppose I probably should’ve checked that before posting? But thank you anyways!
I've took these for 2 nights for back pain...but last night took tablet late around 9.30 ..woke up at 9 and felt dizzy and strange ...as this happened to anyone else taking it late at night...kelly

Quick Reply

Latest