The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can only claim when in full time higher education if you also receive DLA.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You can only claim when in full time higher education if you also receive DLA.

I know. What I was asking is how ESA is affected by loans/grants received... i.e. percentage deductions... and how one goes about dealing with the Work Focussed Interviews whilst studying away at uni and whether DWP could force you to leave and find work if you're capable of studying!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
They will argue that if you can study full time, there's no reason why you can't work.

I seem to remember that the deductions change each year.
Reply 4
They will argue that if you can study full time, there's no reason why you can't work.

Have you got actual experience of this? Are you a student on ESA?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Amethyst66
Have you got actual experience of this? Are you a student on ESA?

No. I probably should be though. I don't study full time.

Also, they count all the loan and grant that you're entitled to, whether you take it or not.
Reply 6
No. I probably should be though. I don't study full time.

Also, they count all the loan and grant that you're entitled to, whether you take it or not.

Yes, I'm aware of that but I also know they make an allowance for books & travel etc before making those deductions. I'd like to know roughly how much this is.

I'm really hoping to talk to other students who are in the same situation or have already gone through this process to find out exactly what _does_ happen rather than just surmise :smile:
Thought this was a thread about the European Space Agency :frown:
Reply 8
Yes, I'm aware of that but I also know they make an allowance for books & travel etc before making those deductions. I'd like to know roughly how much this is.

Like I've said, they change it every year. I know there's a £10 a week disregard.
Reply 9
Like I've said, they change it every year. I know there's a £10 a week disregard.

Is this _before_ deductions are made? And how does it affect disability premiums? Are these still paid on top of any ESA that might still be applicable?

PS why have i been given negative rep? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
There's no disability premium within ESA.
Reply 11
Original post by sii217
Thought this was a thread about the European Space Agency :frown:

Sorry! :biggrin:
Reply 12
There's no disability premium within ESA.

Yes there is because I already receive it! :smile:

No offence but I'm just wondering why you responded to this thread if you're neither a university student nor in receipt of ESA/DLA? My opening line was... "Does anyone here claim ESA (IR) whilst at university as a disabled student?" ... as I wanted very specific help with this, if possible. Thanks for your contribution anyway :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes there is because I already receive it! :smile:

No offence but I'm just wondering why you responded to this thread if you're neither a university student nor in receipt of ESA/DLA? My opening line was... "Does anyone here claim ESA (IR) whilst at university as a disabled student?" ... as I wanted very specific help with this, if possible. Thanks for your contribution anyway :smile:

There isn't. I am a uni student and receive DLA. What you probably receive is the WRAG or support group component. There isn't and has never been a disability premium with ESA.

Just because I do not receive ESA does NOT mean I am any less able to comment than anyone else. In fact, I probably know more than most people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
There isn't. I am a uni student and receive DLA. What you probably receive is the WRAG or support group component. There isn't and has never been a disability premium with ESA.

Just because I do not receive ESA does NOT mean I am any less able to comment than anyone else. In fact, I probably know more than most people.

I don't wish to contradict you but there *is* a disability premium paid with ESA and I receive it. There are two actually... http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/esa/rates.asp
I don't wish to contradict you but there *is* a disability premium paid with ESA and I receive it. There are two actually... http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/esa/rates.asp

That's not a disability premium. That's a work related or support group component. This is paid instead of a disability premium.
Reply 16
That's not a disability premium. That's a work related or support group component. This is paid instead of a disability premium.

I'm sorry but you are wrong!

Premiums
Premiums expressed as weekly amounts are added to the prescribed amounts when working out your applicable amount. There are four different premiums the details of which are set out below.

Severe disability premium.
The severe disability premium rates are-
single applicant- £53.65
couple where one partner meets the criteria- £53.65
couple where both partners meet the criteria- £107.30

If you are single, you will be awarded the severe disability premium if-
You receive the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component or Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance and
nobody receives Carer's Allowance for looking after you and
there are no non-dependent adults living with you.

If you have a partner then you will be awarded severe disability premium if you can show that-
Both of you receive the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component or Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance and
there are no non-dependant adults living with you and
a person receives Carer's Allowance for looking after one of you or
no-one receives Carer's Allowance for looking after either of you
you will still qualify if your partner does not receive the middle or higher rate of DLA care component or Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance but is registered blind or severely sight impaired.

Enhanced disability premium
The enhanced disability premium rates are-
single person- £13.65
couple- £19.65

The enhanced disability premium is awarded to applicants who have been placed in the support group or are in receipt of the highest rate of the DLA care component. It is only available to people under the age of 60.
DLA isn't paid when you go into hospital for more than four weeks but the enhanced disability premium will continue for the first 52 weeks of a hospital stay.

The enhanced premium can be paid in addition to the severe disability premium.

The two components of ESA you're talking about in relation to the WRAG and Support groups are also paid as well as the disability premiums. I think I should know what I receive and the above confirms it.

I'm quite upset at how this thread has been taken off track like this and I'm still none the wiser as to what will happen to my benefits if/when I start university :frown:
I am actually right:

That is because an ESA customer is not entitled to the disability premium.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/housing-benefit/claims-processing/closer-working-with-dwp/employment-and-support-allowance/

You would only be able to get ESA whilst at uni if you're either a part-time student or receive DLA.

Whilst you must tell them that you start uni, this doesn't always mean that your benefit will stop; as long as you meet the criteria. However, if you claim that you can't sit for more than ten minutes, and are at uni, this may look strange. However, if you claim ESA because you have a sensory impairment, this doesn't look strange and DWP would have no reason to assume that you're now fit for work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
This is becoming very tiresome now. There are disability premiums payable with ESA, I've already shown you the link and copied the relevant paragraphs for you. AND I ALREADY RECEIVE THOSE PREMIUMS WITH MY ESA!!!

I'm also very well aware that I can continue to claim ESA whilst in HE at university as I'm currently in receipt of DLA.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/cro/wrb/wrb206/students.htm

What I don't know, and the sole reason I started this thread, was to ask advice FROM SOMEBODY WHO IS CURRENTLY CLAIMING ESA WHILST AT UNIVERSITY about how much of my benefit I could expect to keep once any student loan/grant is deducted (and possibly how they calculate the deductions) and whether there was any pressure from the JC to actually quit university and find work!!

Now, you've already stated you don't claim ESA or attend university full time so I'm unsure as to why you insist on contributing to this thread with FALSE and IRRELEVANT INFORMATION.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know what I'm talking about. You don't. The only disability premiums payable with ESA are severe and enhanced.

The information I am posting is relevant.

I don't know why I'm even bothering. You claim you don't know, I'm giving you CORRECT advice, which you can easily find online. You claim I'm wrong - when I KNOW for a fact that I'm right.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending