The Student Room Group

Going back on firm choice after results day

I'm in an unusual situation with respect to pre-uni study. Long story short: I did A-levels that I hated over 2 years, then found something I enjoyed (maths) such that I'm currently studying 3 full A-levels in one year. I've applied for maths this year and received offers, albeit not from my top choice (where I couldn't really apply due to my situation).

I've decided on my firm (with no insurance) but I want a shot at applying to Cambridge next year - though this is dependent on how I do in STEP this summer, which is uncertain. Would it be possible to get out of my firm choice after results day, if I find I get the grades? Does anyone know if this has an impact on student finance, as I'd have sorted out the accommodation beforehand? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
Since you don't want to go to uni anywhere in 2012 what you're planning is absolutely fine. You just need to tell the uni you don't want to go. You may hear about people who do have problems, but this is only for people who want to go to a different uni (ie not their firm choice) and is a different situation so don't worry.

However, you'll need to read your accommodation contract carefully. Some may insist you pay for accommodation for the whole year even if you don't go.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Since you don't want to go to uni anywhere in 2012 what you're planning is absolutely fine. You just need to tell the uni you don't want to go. You may hear about people who do have problems, but this is only for people who want to go to a different uni (ie not their firm choice) and is a different situation so don't worry.

However, you'll need to read your accommodation contract carefully. Some may insist you pay for accommodation for the whole year even if you don't go.

Hi, thanks for the reply

Sorry, I think I might have partly explained unclearly - I have an offer from uni X, where I would want to go this year if I don't get good enough STEP grades this summer to warrant an application to Camb next cycle (as I'd probably end up going to uni X anyway after wasting a year). I'd have to wait until this August though to see whether a shot next year would be viable. I've heard that firming a choice is like a contract, as long as I make the conditions (which I'm sure I will, there aren't any STEP grades involved), which was what I worried about. Is my plan still fine? Thanks for highlighting the point about accommodation though, I'll have to check that out
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by eleison
Hi, thanks for the reply

Sorry, I think I might have partly explained unclearly - I have an offer from uni X, where I would want to go this year if I don't get good enough STEP grades this summer to warrant an application to Camb next cycle (as I'd probably end up going to uni X anyway after wasting a year). I'd have to wait until this August though to see whether a shot next year would be viable. I've heard that firming a choice is like a contract, as long as I make the conditions (which I'm sure I will, there aren't any STEP grades involved), which was what I worried about. Is my plan still fine? Thanks for highlighting the point about accommodation though, I'll have to check that out

No, maybe mine wasn't clear.

You can say to your firm "hey, I don't wanna go to uni this year!" and that's fine. So you get good enough grades to reapply but obviously meet your offer, and you don't go.

What you can't do is change uni - so meet your offer and go somewhere else in 2012 - which is what you've heard is bad.
Reply 4
Original post by eleison
Hi, thanks for the reply

Sorry, I think I might have partly explained unclearly - I have an offer from uni X, where I would want to go this year if I don't get good enough STEP grades this summer to warrant an application to Camb next cycle (as I'd probably end up going to uni X anyway after wasting a year). I'd have to wait until this August though to see whether a shot next year would be viable. I've heard that firming a choice is like a contract, as long as I make the conditions (which I'm sure I will, there aren't any STEP grades involved), which was what I worried about. Is it still fine what I might do? Thanks for highlighting the point about accommodation though, I'll have to check that out
If your offer is conditional,the accommodation costs issue shouldn't arise as nobody can expect you to sign a contract that commits you like that when it isn't definite that you'll fulfil your offer conditions.

You will be able to decide on Results Day whether or not to take up your place. The 'contract' at that stage is that your place is guaranteed by the university provided you meet your offer conditions. No-one will insist that you go if you really don't want to!
Reply 5
Ohhh that's cleared up a lot, thanks both very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending