The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I've been trying to avoid carbs, particularly processed stuff, for ages, but I keep falling off the carb wagon :sigh: Tis fine at home, but release me into the real world and I fail massively. Today, Starbucks muffin.
I do feel a lot better - more awake, less inclined to snack on junk, concentrate better, etc - when I succeed though. Def worth trying.

Maybe you don't need to cut out all carbs, just the type of carbs that you are eating. There's no nutritional value in white starchy, processed carbs like white bread and white pasta. I eat millet, buckwheat and quinoa instead of rice (although some brown rice is ok) and wholemeal or rye bread rather than white cardboard bread. These processed foods are too 'modern' for our digestive systems, and our bodies haven't evolved quickly enough to digest them properly.
Just got my first whey protein samples and it's bigger than I expected and I got the measuring spoon and it's smaller than a teaspoon :rofl: I know I'm going to lose it soon.

Plus it's my birthday :ymca:
Reply 1842
The food I eat is better but I feel so much more sleepy :sad: strange.
Original post by Indieboohoo
Just got my first whey protein samples and it's bigger than I expected and I got the measuring spoon and it's smaller than a teaspoon :rofl: I know I'm going to lose it soon.

Happy Birthday!

What samples did you get?
Original post by Indieboohoo

Happy birthday :biggrin:

---

Back from work and all I want to do is EAT. Had carrot sticks with reduced fat hummus, and a ryvita with salsa so far. Dinner won't be until at least 7.30 :s-smilie:
Happy birthday IndieBooHoo!

No calories left for a snack this evening. Would normally say sod it and eat a few more, but with Easter next week and the anticipation of LOTS of chocolate, I just can't afford to eat more than I should be doing this week. So I'm going to behave myself and be good!
I've been bad and eaten MacDonalds today. I also had some of my mum's pasta which has bacon in it :sigh:

But apart from that, been drinking water and coffee, and eating carrots and oranges :awesome:

Training again on Thursday :awesome:
Reply 1847
Haven't done any exercise today oops- meant to go for a run but it was raining and nasty so I chickened out!

Breakfast: porridge with apple and raspberries
Lunch: vegetable stir fry (onions, peppers, carrots, courgettes, tomato and babycorn) with couscous and feta cheese. Greek yoghurt with honey and raisins
Snack: bag of Sunbites
Dinner: toasted wrap with tomato, pepper and cheese. Carrot sticks and cucumber with hummus. Fresh pineapple and raspberries
Good day again today :smile:

Managed to resist the temptation to eat again before dinner, which meant I actually enjoyed/savoured what I had (small portion of lasagne, wholemeal roll with herby Flora and steamed carrots/tenderstem brocolli).

There are mince pies downstairs 0_o
Sister was making fun of me (only jokingly) that all I ever talk about now is calories and the gym :p: S'alright for her - she eats what she wants and stays 7.5 stone!! :mad: :P

But seriously, I hope I haven't turned into a weird sort of 'reformed dieter' :/ Anyone else had comments like this - joking or otherwise?
Reply 1850
The family are finishing off my giant easter egg, so happy to finally see it gone!!! :smile:
Original post by amizzle91
Sister was making fun of me (only jokingly) that all I ever talk about now is calories and the gym :p: S'alright for her - she eats what she wants and stays 7.5 stone!! :mad: :P

But seriously, I hope I haven't turned into a weird sort of 'reformed dieter' :/ Anyone else had comments like this - joking or otherwise?

Yes :sigh: My mother has made comments suggesting I take my diet too seriously, and then suggested I back off the weight lifting a bit.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Have you seen the stumptuous guide to cutting out sugar? Link. I drew the line at carbs, I could not give up sugar if you paid me millions.

I read it and have reflected. Day three is almost up and I know three days is nothing to boast about but it's hard for me. I was so so so irritable this afternoon and really needed chocolate/cake/cookies (and fruit just wasn't doing it for me instead!). Going out Thursday and have no idea how I plan to cope. It's just awful sitting in the library all day and literally EVERYONE around me has massive bags of chocolate and sweets to munch while studying while my stomachs growling straight after lunch!

Another thing...you said you were cutting carbs right? I don't know if you use MFP but I'm constantly going over my carb allowance every single day...like ridiculously over. But it's mainly from fruit. Like today, the only 'proper carby' things I've eaten are porridge and a small brown bap for lunch. I kept dinner 'carb free' (eggs, prawns and veg) and I've just about not gone over. I get really hungry between meals no matter how big the meal and can't imagine how some people can not eat anything between. So for this reason, I rely on fruit and veg throughout the day because I don't know what else to eat instead! I know carbs from fruit count but just how important are they?!
Original post by amizzle91

My brother keeps telling me I'm "turning anorexic".. which REALLY annoys me because I couldn't be any LESS anorexic if I tried. I have completely the opposite problem lol.
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
I read it and have reflected. Day three is almost up and I know three days is nothing to boast about but it's hard for me. I was so so so irritable this afternoon and really needed chocolate/cake/cookies (and fruit just wasn't doing it for me instead!). Going out Thursday and have no idea how I plan to cope. It's just awful sitting in the library all day and literally EVERYONE around me has massive bags of chocolate and sweets to munch while studying while my stomachs growling straight after lunch!

Another thing...you said you were cutting carbs right? I don't know if you use MFP but I'm constantly going over my carb allowance every single day...like ridiculously over. But it's mainly from fruit. Like today, the only 'proper carby' things I've eaten are porridge and a small brown bap for lunch. I kept dinner 'carb free' (eggs, prawns and veg) and I've just about not gone over. I get really hungry between meals no matter how big the meal and can't imagine how some people can not eat anything between. So for this reason, I rely on fruit and veg throughout the day because I don't know what else to eat instead! I know carbs from fruit count but just how important are they?!

Go you even for trying! Have you tried taking non-sugary snacks to the library? I am so in love with my Graze box (even though it had chocolate and cake in it this week - epic fail, but it's dark chocolate and the cake was only 100 calories). I can only do non-carb after breakfast, I like a good bowl of Alpen or porridge in the mornings. Can you separate out carbs and sugars on your MFP? I only use it on my phone so not sure what its like on other things, but I am always over my sugar count just from fruit, usually apple juice and grapes, but never anywhere near my total carb count. I don't let it bother me - fruit is good for you, yes it has sugars but they're natural and the benefits outweigh the bad (my dentist is always on at me for snacking, and apparently even fruit should be kept to mealtimes cos it erodes the enamel. And after seven fillings, I should really start listening to her).
Just completed another 110mins of walking for the day. Don't half feel tired now though! And my back is achey.
Original post by marmalady
This is potentially concerning... what's your goal? I take it you use MFP - which is designed for you to MEET the goal it gives you, otherwise you're creating too large of a deficit to have efficient weight loss.

Thanks for the support :smile: I ate 1428 calories yesterday, usually I'm on 1200 calories a day (roughly) but as I was stood up for many hours on end working I thought I'd add the calories burnt from that which was 515.
Definitely not a good idea to weigh myself more than once a week...was not what I wanted to see! I'm definitely going to have to go for a run now today!
Took a break from running this morning, but I managed to fit some exercise in walking to the opticians and back (an hour in total) :smile:

Picked up a pot of chicken and Orzo soup for lunch while I was out :smile: 2 of my 5-a-day, 20g of protein and 270 calories (as long as my mum doesn't decide she wants half...)
Decided I was going going for a walk this morning. Last 20 minutes before I thought I was actually going to be blown away, so came home again. It's horrible! Will be staying in for the rest of the day and going on my exercise bike instead I think.

Although I am aware I've said that for the past goodness knows how many days without actually doing anything about it, lol.

Latest