The Student Room Group

not wearing headscarf anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ayshizzle
If you are a Quranist then it's not.

so your telling me that the quran says that females dont have to wear a scarf?
Original post by Anonymous
ive just google rihanna- some singer?

i dont talk to the pakistani community because they think my convo-s are weird, i bring science and my love of medical drugs into everythng... plus, they always say "marry my son" youre good looking, and good career.
and they`re anti-feminist
AND sometimes just bore me with trivial things like why women should cook? blarghh. my dad cooks for me.
and those of the same age, are always into drugs/girls-boys/ looking good. soo boring. but then they eat pork? hmm..

Firstly i know what you mean by "hmm" when you mentioned pork. Don't even bother going there. The animal looks hideous and I'm sure it tastes even worse.

Btw what do you mean by "your love for medical drugs" are you a pharmacist, just a bit curious. Im doing Pharmacalogy at Uni.:smile:

Why would someone tell you to marry their son lol. Im guessing your what? 17 or 18 haha. Well i guess thats pakistani mentality for ya. :rolleyes:
Reply 82
I told my mum I no longer considered myself a Muslim not so long ago- if you need any tips PM me :smile: I know the importance of your anon so you don;t have to worry :smile:

really? my family are quite religeous. as in hold religeous events/ write religeous stuff/ host radios and some asain tv stuff. even though we also host the converse of that too...

so there`s an identity of me, and worse since out of all her children my mum is proud of me the most.
Reply 83
thanks but back to the point?

how am a going to tell mum? and those girls who copy my look... and the uncles who think im an ideal wife for their sons...

Your so full of yourself!
Reply 84
Original post by omgg
Do you want a shoulder to cry on? Must be quite scary now that you've lost your faith

But, my dear friend, hell is going to be even scarier... just remember that.
And if you dont get your faith back, then thats where your going to be heading

Oh, what ridiculous twaddle.
The poor lass is just trying to take off her headscarf, and we're delving into the darkest regions of hell?
Reply 85
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Firstly i know what you mean by "hmm" when you mentioned pork. Don't even bother going there. The animal looks hideous and I'm sure it tastes even worse.

Btw what do you mean by "your love for medical drugs" are you a pharmacist, just a bit curious. Im doing Pharmacalogy at Uni.:smile:

Why would someone tell you to marry their son lol. Im guessing your what? 17 or 18 haha. Well i guess thats pakistani mentality for ya. :rolleyes:

hmm becoming doctor! but love medical drugs so research.

because they think im the ideal pakistani girl, religousy/good looking/good education/good fam. all the usual crap :angry:
im not.
Your the first muslim girl I've heard doesn't want to wear a head scarf. whats the matter, don't you have belief in your religion?

Are you wanting to become an atheist or convert to a different religion?:confused:

There are plenty of Muslim girls out there who don't wear a headscarf, only Allah and not you can judge if they are good Muslims or not.

OP I have read this thread and I feel like some people are attempting to guilt-trip you into staying religious, or even coming across passive aggressive.
Let me tell you one thing - I see you are a science student, if you don't believe in God: that is absolutely acceptable! Do not be afraid you are a disappointment to your parents, from my own experiences I can tell you if they truly love you they will accept you for who you are.

If you even keep the faith, then not wearing the headscarf is also fine! Whether you do or do not wear it, either way it should be your choice. As a woman, respect yourself enough to stay true to yourself and your beliefs.

Let us keep Islam tolerant and peaceful, if the OP chooses to not wear her headscarf, respect her choice.
Reply 87

thanks i know they`ll understand in the end... but starting topic . hmm

Just being honest about it would be best.
Tell them what you told us.

Sit them down, steep some tea - and just let them know.
Reply 88
Original post by omgg
Your so full of yourself!

perhaps you misinterpreted my point. people look up to me. i dont wnt to let them down. i hate knowing that they think im some "amazing person" im not.
hmm becoming doctor! but love medical drugs so research.

because they think im the ideal pakistani girl, religousy/good looking/good education/good fam. all the usual crap :angry:
im not.

Wow, nice going!

I feel sorry for you in a way, i think its your family and friends who have forced you away from the culture and religion:frown:.

I think you need time out. Starting uni would be a good place to start! :smile:
Original post by omgg
Do you want a shoulder to cry on? Must be quite scary now that you've lost your faith

Shocking. Trying to use scare tactics to force people to believe. Can't you see this kind of thing is the reason why people choose to leave religion?

I respect your choice to follow Islam, respect my choice to be atheist. Peace. :smile:
ive already gone through the "losing faith" phase. this is the next step. and its quite scary.

Well since you ARE a Muslim, how about you turn to Allah(Your Creator!) and ask Him alone for help?
Sure everyone on TSR is commited to offer help, but Allah has already told you what to do when you find yourself lost on the road-

“And whomsoever Allaah wants to put in Al-Fitnah (error, because of his rejecting of Faith), you can do nothing for him against Allaah”

“He whom Allaah guides, he is the rightly-guided; but he whom He sends astray, for him you will find no Wali (guiding friend) to lead him (to the Right Path).”[al-Israa’ 17:97]

No matter what you decide, remember that Allah loves you- more than your mother! So before thinking about your mother's feelings, think about Him too(please!) :colondollar:

Haha, and our prayers are with you sister! :biggrin:
Original post by omgg

And don't listen to knobheads like this.

In terms of the practicalities, there are two paths you could go down. I could give you links to lots of Muslims, men and women, all a lot more sensible than the salafist jerkoffs who make all the noise, who explain why headscarves are not required for being a good Muslim. You could use these to explain to your parents and other people in your life who are concerned why they shouldn't worry. But it sounds like you're not really concerned about that yourself, because the whole point is that you want to go without a headscarf, not because you think Islam doesn't require it, but because you think Islam is not required of you. I can see how that is a much more daunting prospect to explain. You could fudge it a bit and explain to your parents "I just don't think it's required" without going into specifics, and similar phrases. It's a tough one. But maybe the answer is really to not build it up so much into such a big thing. Mabye you need to play it down. Someone asks, all you need to respond is "I thought it was time for a bit of a change."
Reply 93
Original post by Tudball
Oh, what ridiculous twaddle.
The poor lass is just trying to take off her headscarf, and we're delving into the darkest regions of hell?

sometimes i dont even know why i even bother...

im sorry but ignorant people like you are not worth my time,
Original post by My name is URL
There are plenty of Muslim girls out there who don't wear a headscarf, only Allah and not you can judge if they are good Muslims or not.

OP I have read this thread and I feel like some people are attempting to guilt-trip you into staying religious, or even coming across passive aggressive.
Let me tell you one thing - I see you are a science student, if you don't believe in God: that is absolutely acceptable! Do not be afraid you are a disappointment to your parents, from my own experiences I can tell you if they truly love you they will accept you for who you are.

If you even keep the faith, then not wearing the headscarf is also fine! Whether you do or do not wear it, either way it should be your choice. As a woman, respect yourself enough to stay true to yourself and your beliefs.

Let us keep Islam tolerant and peaceful, if the OP chooses to not wear her headscarf, respect her choice.

Lol, i think you misinterpreted what i've said. Just because i was surprised to see the OP not wanting to wear a hijab, doesn't mean to say I'm against her haha.

People in my family and friends i know don't wear hijabs and there muslims-obviously girls. I don't have a problem with it.:biggrin:
Original post by omgg
so your telling me that the quran says that females dont have to wear a scarf?

No it say dress modestly and cover your breasts. And presumably down below too. The hijaab is from the Hadith and Muslims who follow these like to try and be how the prophet (and his wives if you are female) were. It's also not obligatory for men to have a beard from the Qur'an either.

Read the wikipedia article if you'd like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

And you can read the verses translated in English on quran.com if you have any doubts.
Reply 96
thanks but back to the point?

how am a going to tell mum? and those girls who copy my look... and the uncles who think im an ideal wife for their sons...

By the sound of it, your family have plenty of reason to be proud of you, and I'm sure those girls have plenty to look up to aside from the way in which you choose to dress. The uncles opinions is pretty irrelevant, surely you'll decide who you'd be a wife to.
I can understand its a difficult situation, but you shouldn't feel forced to do something you're not happy with. It's your life, and if wearing your headscarf no longer has any purpose for you, seize control and make that step. In my opinion, doing so is worthy of respect and I'd hope people could see that.
Reply 97
No it say dress modestly and cover your breasts. And presumably down below too. The hijaab is from the Hadith and Muslims who follow these like to try and be how the prophet (and his wives if you are female) were. It's also not obligatory for men to have a beard from the Qur'an either.

Read the wikipedia article if you'd like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

And you can read the verses translated in English on quran.com if you have any doubts.

it appears that you get most of your knowledge from the internet, rather than the quran itself
Shocking. Trying to use scare tactics to force people to believe. Can't you see this kind of thing is the reason why people choose to leave religion?

I respect your choice to follow Islam, respect my choice to be atheist. Peace. :smile:

Hey mate, you randomly popped out of nowhere in this convo. lol no offence we all respect your opinion. But lets not get feisty.:fight:
Reply 99
Wow, nice going!

I feel sorry for you in a way, i think its your family and friends who have forced you away from the culture and religion:frown:.

I think you need time out. Starting uni would be a good place to start! :smile:

no its not- although lving in pakistani culture i can cater for 300 people.... not fun when youre in the kitchen.

ye i guess time out, i want to find myself properly but need to lose my old identity first.

dont get me wrong, im not a coconut im just not sure what i am.

thanks. but "scare tactics" have no use, if you followed religeon out of fear than its wrong. religeon is about love, and on that we will be questionned.

Original post by SmallStudent
Well since you ARE a Muslim, how about you turn to Allah(Your Creator!) and ask Him alone for help?
Sure everyone on TSR is commited to offer help, but Allah has already told you what to do when you find yourself lost on the road-

“And whomsoever Allaah wants to put in Al-Fitnah (error, because of his rejecting of Faith), you can do nothing for him against Allaah”

“He whom Allaah guides, he is the rightly-guided; but he whom He sends astray, for him you will find no Wali (guiding friend) to lead him (to the Right Path).”[al-Israa’ 17:97]

No matter what you decide, remember that Allah loves you- more than your mother! So before thinking about your mother's feelings, think about Him too(please!) :colondollar:

Haha, and our prayers are with you sister! :biggrin:

thanks i see what you mean.. but again, i want to start afresh, and getting to the point of starting afresh is difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending