Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Open app but been assigned to Homerton! Hello :biggrin:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Homerton is most certainly where the party is.
Original post by Cast.Iron
Homerton is most certainly where the party is.

:giggle:
Reply 1063
I'm a Homerton applicant!
However, I haven't received any information about interview yet.... and I'm starting to get paranoid being as so many other people on here have already found out! aaaah!

Good luck everybody! :smile:
Congratulations to all future Homertonians (and an advance congratulations to those who will get offers from the Winter Pool)!
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Reply 1066
FELLOW HOMERTONIAN HERE!! :biggrin: (If i get A*AA) :biggrin: :biggrin:
ahhhhhh, I got my decision yesterday, I am accepted!!!!!! I was so exited that I could not sleep at all this night!!!!
Unpooled by Homerton for Linguistics!
So happy :smile:
Should be at Homerton if I get the grades :smile: x
i got pooled to homerton for MML!

How far is homerton from the MML main faculty?
Homerton for PGCE Chemistry! :smile:
Hopefully get in Homerton for PGCE Geography, had my interview Thursday
any pooled offer holders going to the 15th feb open day>?
can someone make a homerton 2012 offer holders fb page?! pleasee it would be gooood!
Original post by howdoyoudo?
can someone make a homerton 2012 offer holders fb page?! pleasee it would be gooood!

Here you go: http://www.facebook.com/groups/189629357817305/

Might be an idea to let them know how foolish it is to make it a closed group.
Guys I was wondering (congratulations by the way on your accepted applications) what kind of things were said at interview, reliance upon gcse's, how was the overall feel and did they comment on stuff you did well or badly.

I was just wondering whether someone could give me the gist of the process

Thank you
Original post by Luke Williams
Guys I was wondering (congratulations by the way on your accepted applications) what kind of things were said at interview, reliance upon gcse's, how was the overall feel and did they comment on stuff you did well or badly.

I was just wondering whether someone could give me the gist of the process

Thank you

Obviously the interview's and test's will be slightly different for each subject. For my interview (for engineering) I would say 25 of the 30 mins of each interview was on engineering and maths problems (i.e: mechanics, electricity and calculus), with 5 mins being on why I wanted to study engineering and things I said on my personal statemnt, such as helping teaching.

The subject of grades never popped up in my interviews but from my expierence there isn't a heavy reliance upon GCSE's (I got 3A's, 2B's and 6C's and now have an offer for 2012).

When I was there I really liked the feel of the college: I liked the informal feel, spacious grounds and modern accomodation (the only downside in my view is the journey I will need to make to and from lectures). As for the interviews both were nerve racking but I found my first interview worse than my second (I think this was due to the interviewer's, but could have been due to it being my first one and not knowing what to expect).

The interviewer's didn't really comment on what I had done well or not but at the end of my second one the interviewer's did say the interview was good (I thought they must say that to everyone, as it didn't feel too good).

Maybe if you put your subject you might get an asnwer of what the interview process was like for someone who had one for that subject.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Silkysam
Obviously the interview's and test's will be slightly different for each subject. For my interview (for engineering) I would say 25 of the 30 mins of each interview was on engineering and maths problems (i.e: mechanics, electricity and calculus), with 5 mins being on why I wanted to study engineering and things I said on my personal statemnt, such as helping teaching.

The subject of grades never popped up in my interviews but from my expierence there isn't a heavy reliance upon GCSE's (I got 3A's, 2B's and 6C's and now have an offer for 2012).

When I was there I really liked the feel of the college: I liked the informal feel, spacious grounds and modern accomodation (the only downside in my view is the journey I will need to make to and from lectures). As for the interviews both were nerve racking but I found my first interview worse than my second (I think this was due to the interviewer's, but could have been due to it being my first one and not knowing what to expect).

The interviewer's didn't really comment on what I had done well or not but at the end of my second one the interviewer's did say the interview was good (I thought they must say that to everyone, as it didn't feel too good).

Maybe if you put your subject you might get an asnwer of what the interview process was like for someone who had one for that subject.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response.

I wish to study Law. I am asking because I have shaky GCSE's like yourself. A*AAAABBBC. So, I was wondering whether there is anything I need to prepare for.
Original post by Luke Williams
Thanks for the response.

I wish to study Law. I am asking because I have shaky GCSE's like yourself. A*AAAABBBC. So, I was wondering whether there is anything I need to prepare for.

I think Cast.Iron is a law student.

You probably already know this but if you get asked to an interview it looks like you will have to take the Cambridge Law Test (http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/cambridge-law-test.php)

I don't think cambridge care about GCSE's much, as they have the AS UMS to look at. I think the obessesion with students thinking applicants need atleast 2-3A*'s and no B's and C's is due to the average GCSE's of an applicant being 5A*'s. Students then misinterpret this as you must have outstanding GCSE's to get an offer from cambridge; whereas I believe it is due to the majority of students who get GCSE's like mine (and to an extent yours aswell) don't go on to get a 90% average at AS, and therefore pushes the average GCSE's an offer holder gets up.
Original post by Silkysam
I think Cast.Iron is a law student.

You probably already know this but if you get asked to an interview it looks like you will have to take the Cambridge Law Test (http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/cambridge-law-test.php)

I don't think cambridge care about GCSE's much, as they have the AS UMS to look at. I think the obessesion with students thinking applicants need atleast 2-3A*'s and no B's and C's is due to the average GCSE's of an applicant being 5A*'s. Students then misinterpret this as you must have outstanding GCSE's to get an offer from cambridge; whereas I believe it is due to the majority of students who get GCSE's like mine (and to an extent yours aswell) don't go on to get a 90% average at AS, and therefore pushes the average GCSE's an offer holder gets up.

Indeed. I completely understand your last section. Well, what were your UMS %'s then?

Latest

Trending

Trending