The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hemzo
Which university would you guys recommend out of Bath or Bristol if I wanted to go abroad for a few years to work? I think Bristol is probably better known internationally, but some UK companies provide opportunities to work abroad for a fixed period, so I guess Bath wouldn't do much harm either. What would you guys recommend? I would probably like to work in Germany, Portugal/Spain, Japan and a few other European countries. I know I won't get the same opportunities as someone from LSE/Oxbridge, but I'm sure there are some opportunities out there from studying at Bath or Bristol :tongue:

Bath. Try and get your work placement abroad. Sorted :colone:
Reply 9801
Original post by zxh800
I need an A* in Further Maths. :emo: But, I need Ds in my final Economics and History exams to get an A so I guess that evens things out. Having said that, I can't let myself get a D I just can't and so I find myself irrationally devoting a larger than necessary of my revision time to those two subjects :doh:. I hope I don't regret it.

I'm exactly the same!
Reply 9802
Original post by nightmare91
I don't know my Abitur average yet since I still have my Economics oral. But I think I'll end up with a 1.2 where 1.0 is the best you can achieve. We only have percentage numbers in the exams but in order to get the average you have to use a weird formula :biggrin: Germans are weird I suppose... My Warwick offer is a 1.3 :smile:
I haven't applied for accomodation yet. I think you can apply from the 7th May on. I do have a certain hall in mind though :cool: Have you applied for en suite? Warwick's en suite halls are quite expensive :frown:

Ah sounds confusing, well done though! I did go for en suite in the end, I did quite well out of student finance grants so decided to treat myself. Saying that, it is my first preference so I might end up not getting it, that's no big deal though :smile:
Reply 9803
Original post by Hemzo
Which university would you guys recommend out of Bath or Bristol if I wanted to go abroad for a few years to work? I think Bristol is probably better known internationally, but some UK companies provide opportunities to work abroad for a fixed period, so I guess Bath wouldn't do much harm either. What would you guys recommend? I would probably like to work in Germany, Portugal/Spain, Japan and a few other European countries. I know I won't get the same opportunities as someone from LSE/Oxbridge, but I'm sure there are some opportunities out there from studying at Bath or Bristol :tongue:

They are both so even that I think going with Bath will give you the opportunity to get in with the big companies which are likely to have opportunities abroad.
Original post by zxh800
I need an A* in Further Maths. :emo: But, I need Ds in my final Economics and History exams to get an A so I guess that evens things out. Having said that, I can't let myself get a D I just can't and so I find myself irrationally devoting a larger than necessary amount of revision time to those two subjects :doh:. I hope I don't regret it.

Cambridge specified the A* in FM?

:lol: that isn't irrational though... you've thought about the costs and benefits

I need a U in all my subjects :colone:

jk haven't decided where I'm going yet.
Original post by Brand New Eyes

Well placed :P
Original post by tooambitious

:yep:

decided where you're applying yet?

:lol: oh got an email from Warwick to remind me to book the open day... awwwwkward
Reply 9807

Doesn't look like you're having as much fun on the 2013 thread. You decided where to apply yet? :biggrin:
:yep:

decided where you're applying yet?

:lol: oh got an email from Warwick to remind me to book the open day... awwwwkward

Original post by Tateco
Doesn't look like you're having as much fun on the 2013 thread. You decided where to apply yet? :biggrin:

i know, the 2013 thread is seriously dead :s-smilie:, hopefully it'll pick up after exams!
Yes :smile:, well i think so: Oxford, UCL (L101), LSE, Warwick and Bristol: i went t a UCAS convention and the guy said that my offer would be AAA because i do FM, i have yo apply to another AAA (school policy) and ive heard great things about Bristol :biggrin:, i think i might do the same as Tat' and some others on here and apply for gap year schemes, in case things go 'belly up' this year :P
i know, the 2013 thread is seriously dead :s-smilie:, hopefully it'll pick up after exams!
Yes :smile:, well i think so: Oxford, UCL (L101), LSE, Warwick and Bristol: i went t a UCAS convention and the guy said that my offer would be AAA because i do FM, i have yo apply to another AAA (school policy) and ive heard great things about Bristol :biggrin:, i think i might do the same as Tat' and some others on here and apply for gap year schemes, in case things go 'belly up' this year :P

Do NOT tailor your PS towards Economics and Management for Oxford, it isn't really a significant factor towards getting a place/interview as everyone pretty much says the same thing :tongue: so erm if UCL is your second choice tailor it towards them.

Think that's all the advice I have. Oh and the TSA will make or break you for Oxford :tongue: but everyone already knows that and read around management! People always seem to neglect it.
Do NOT tailor your PS towards Economics and Management for Oxford, it isn't really a significant factor towards getting a place/interview as everyone pretty much says the same thing :tongue: so erm if UCL is your second choice tailor it towards them.

Think that's all the advice I have. Oh and the TSA will make or break you for Oxford :tongue: but everyone already knows that and read around management! People always seem to neglect it.

Thanks :smile:, yeah ive heard how important the TSA is, which makes it even more daunting, hopefully it'll be ok though :smile:
Reply 9811

I best keep quiet then. :ahee:
Thanks :smile:, yeah ive heard how important the TSA is, which makes it even more daunting, hopefully it'll be ok though :smile:

The Problem Solving side of things is also slightly more weighted so concentrate more on those :wink: the spatial awareness/net ones always got me but everything is pretty straightforward I guess.

It really does pay to be too ambitious, oh and game theory in general comes up quite a bit across most colleges.

Original post by Groat
I best keep quiet then. :ahee:

:h: I was only kidding. Tabbers eh :rolleyes: Although I'm pretty sure most people on this thread are in a similar position so
(edited 12 years ago)
The Problem Solving side of things is also slightly more weighted so concentrate more on those :wink: the spatial awareness/net ones always got me but everything is pretty straightforward I guess.

It really does pay to be too ambitious

:angry:,same! Except for those i quite enjoy normal prblem solving types of questions and in fact critical thinking (here's hoping the actual TSA is the same) i see what you did there :wink: :cool:
Reply 9814

I would bet lots of money on you getting one of your top four, especially with your high GCSEs, they really do make a difference :smile:
Original post by Tateco
I would bet lots of money on you getting one of your top four, especially with your high GCSEs, they really do make a difference :smile:

i'm hoping so, although it can of course be very hit and miss, i just thinnk its a problem wth the process, whem we move to appying post A2 i think it'll be much better, i just cant believe that some universities seem to weigh GCSEs so highly :eek:
i'm hoping so, although it can of course be very hit and miss, i just thinnk its a problem wth the process, whem we move to appying post A2 i think it'll be much better, i just cant believe that some universities seem to weigh GCSEs so highly :eek:

LSE is one of them so you're lucky, it supposedly shows your commitment and dedication to academia according to the admissions tutor.
Reply 9817

I know, I think it's a big mistake as well but we can't have it all! Just don't set your hopes on Oxford because although you have a chance that really is a lottery and all of your choices are fantastic :smile:
LSE is one of them so you're lucky, it supposedly shows your commitment and dedication to academia according to the admissions tutor.

pfff :rolleyes:, some people are just lucky enough to hae teacherss who ram this importance down their throat i suppose
Original post by Tateco
I know, I think it's a big mistake as well but we can't have it all! Just don't set your hopes on Oxford because although you have a chance that really is a lottery and all of your choices are fantastic :smile:

definitely! id be luck to go to any of them to be honest :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending