The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by North Irelandman
'Student Satisfaction' as a measure (of teaching, feedback etc) is subject to a lot of variables, even things like time of day, whether the student just got back a good / bad essay, but also the student's perception of the university before they arrived.

For a student attending one of the higher ranked universities they may expect, say "10/10" teaching quality; if they ended up receiving "8/10" quality they would be dissatisfied and the NSS would show this as low satisfaction and consequently a lower overall score. For a student attending a lower ranked university, they may not expect just the same high quality of teaching, but if they receive the same "8/10" teaching quality they will be (perhaps more than) satisfied, and so their university receives a high NSS score and consequently a higher overall score.

I think there is a non-sequitur there.

Why should someone at a lower ranked university necessarily expect a lower quality of teaching? This has got nothing to do with the complexity of the subject matter. This is about turning up, explaining concepts coherently, being available when one is supposed to be available, marking the work timeously, delivering feedback and delivering constructive feedback.

Furthermore, why should someone who was basically paid to deliver elementary instruction to undergraduates be expected to be worse at doing so than someone who was basically hired because of their research capability but is nevertheless required to deliver elementary instruction to undergraduates?
Original post by Aquinas
Cheers. Realised that I missed out Sheffield but that's firmly in Tier 2 anyway, most people would agree I'm sure.

I think the thing about the Guardian's table is that it's inherently biased toward Universities with smaller intakes - smaller, campus universities often have higher student satisfaction (probably because they can sleep a bit longer before lectures), and the Guardian also tweeted me (hah) saying that another heavy basis for the rankings is 'face time' (face-to-face interaction with academics i'm assuming? not sure how they'd work that out exactly, apart from timetabled allotments) which is also biased to universities whose intakes are smaller and have a smaller student/staff ratio.

Neither is a solid methodology for ranking - clearly there's a lot of mitigating factors.

The biases you are identifying are biases that can reasonably (but not necessarily) be described as making a university "better". It is a bit like saying that we shouldn't count Connolly leather and walnut trim in deciding which are the best cars.
Reply 2582
Original post by nulli tertius
The biases you are identifying are biases that can reasonably (but not necessarily) be described as making a university "better". It is a bit like saying that we shouldn't count Connolly leather and walnut trim in deciding which are the best cars.

Fair enough, but it's not what makes a University better; rather it's what makes the university 'experience' better. There's a difference in my opinion. You could have had an awful experience at Oxford or Cambridge but does that detract from the quality of those universities? Not one bit.
I think there is a non-sequitur there.

Why should someone at a lower ranked university necessarily expect a lower quality of teaching? This has got nothing to do with the complexity of the subject matter. This is about turning up, explaining concepts coherently, being available when one is supposed to be available, marking the work timeously, delivering feedback and delivering constructive feedback.

Furthermore, why should someone who was basically paid to deliver elementary instruction to undergraduates be expected to be worse at doing so than someone who was basically hired because of their research capability but is nevertheless required to deliver elementary instruction to undergraduates?

I think you are missing my point; I am not commenting on the standard of undergraduate teaching being proportional to university ranking. Students attending higher ranked unis will in general have greater expectations of the teaching quality. They most likely have used the league tables and believe that the teaching they receive should be of a high standard due to the difficulty in receiving and meeting the offer; high demand for the course would suggest it.

This is not as much about students going to lower ranked unis expecting less as it is about students going to higher ranked unis expecting more. They have high, perhaps unrealistic expectations, and if these are not met then they are likely to speak up about it.
Reply 2584
Original post by Rancorous
No
Warwick is ranked within the top 200 - around 150
Even if it did not, there is no reason why it should because it depends on the quality of universities worldwide in terms of the criteria - and since there are only 20-25 universities from the UK in the top 200, UK universities are still is a relatively good position, i.e. Bath is ranked around 225-250.

Yes... I was referring, in that particular incidence, to the previous year's ranking - in which Warwick didn't make the top 200. But Warwick should absolutely be a top-10 university; it's top-10 for research and for pretty much everything else, and for a research-based table such as THE, there's no reason that it should be outside of the UK top 10.

Liverpool John Moores is not ranked higher than Loughborough - it falls outside the top 200, and so data is withheld - all we can approximate is that they both lie between 350-400. No inference can be reasonably made which
one ranks higher because the data is withheld - the listing is alphabetical, not in terms of data.

My mistake - I know that LJM is ranked similarly to Loughborough, although was aware it wasn't necessarily higher. I was thinking of other universities (see below), but had also been considering its similar ranking to LJM at the time, so wrote that by accident. The ranking of these two universities is incredibly ludicrous all the same, considering the gulf in research (and teaching) quality.

But perhaps you can explain to me why universities such as Aberystwyth, Stirling and Keele, amongst others, are ranked in a league above Loughborough even though Loughborough's research ranking is considerably higher? And what about Leicester - a top-200 university in spite of barely being in the top 50 in the UK for research. Or Surrey - well within the top 100 in spite of not being in the top 30 in the UK for research, and behind Bath and Loughborough, neither of which are in the top 200. The THE rankings really are quite retarded.

Despite some of the relatively pedantic points, the second point is not; even if you may not agree with the ranking, it doesn't matter - the point is that the Times Higher rankings are based on more credible criteria - teaching, research and citations, and not student surveys. You cannot pick and choose the table which makes more sense to you based on the results it generates.

Valid point, and I tend to agree with you. That is, until you realise that the THE rankings don't actually correlate at all well with the actual proven quality of the research at each university, or the proven quality in other areas such as teaching. This is what makes these rankings retarded.
(edited 11 years ago)
I just use the ave tariff column on the tables (you can click on it to rank unis based on it alone), the rest of it either doesnt hold much weight or is complete BS.
Original post by North Irelandman
I think you are missing my point; I am not commenting on the standard of undergraduate teaching being proportional to university ranking. Students attending higher ranked unis will in general have greater expectations of the teaching quality. They most likely have used the league tables and believe that the teaching they receive should be of a high standard due to the difficulty in receiving and meeting the offer; high demand for the course would suggest it.

This is not as much about students going to lower ranked unis expecting less as it is about students going to higher ranked unis expecting more. They have high, perhaps unrealistic expectations, and if these are not met then they are likely to speak up about it.

I now understand the point you are making but do not accept it. The statement that applicants to higher ranking universities "will" have greater expectations is plucked from thin air with no evidence base behind it. Moreover it is not really born out by the results with the research universities scoring consistently higher than the post-92s. It is simply that some (but by no means all) of the highest ranking research universities do very poorly. All of the posts that in some way discount student satisfaction contribute to the next generation of students at any of these places also receiving a raw deal.
Original post by Aquinas
Fair enough, but it's not what makes a University better; rather it's what makes the university 'experience' better. There's a difference in my opinion. You could have had an awful experience at Oxford or Cambridge but does that detract from the quality of those universities? Not one bit.

But if such an awful experience was the norm, that would detract from the quality (not the research quality but the quality none the less) of those places.
Original post by mc1000

Valid point, and I tend to agree with you. That is, until you realise that the THE rankings don't actually correlate at all well with the actual proven quality of the research at each university, or the proven quality in other areas such as teaching. This is what makes these rankings retarded.

The way THES looks at research quality, it has a bias towards the hard sciences. Moreover, it tends to favour universities with one or two world class departments over a good but not outstanding all rounder.

Two entire disciplines were virtually created at Leicester, DNA fingerprinting and local history and I suspect that is responsible for their high score. I don't know what LJMU does, but I suspect you will find a single subject where it is entirely dominant
Original post by littlecreatures
I just use the ave tariff column on the tables (you can click on it to rank unis based on it alone), the rest of it either doesnt hold much weight or is complete BS.

Somewhere, someone always returns to this.

Teenagers with good A level scores want everything in life to be ranked by A level score.

I am afraid the real world isn't like that and tariff is directly proportional to geographical convenience and quality of the local nightclubs.
Reply 2590
I can never understand why people should expect a league table to reinforce their existing perceptions of where universities 'should' rank, perceptions which are based on..., as it happens, other league tables.

The guardian league table isn't 'wrong', it has just produced an outcome using a range of inputs, that many people disagree with based on what they deem to be correct, which then kind of defeats the point of using such ranking tables.
Out of curiosity if everyone were to compile their own top 20 - based purely on opinion of prestige, job prospects and academic research what would they be?

I'd go for (and bare in mind this is an extremely rough list not intended to insult anyone's institution)

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) LSE
6) Imperial
7) Edinburgh
8) St Andrews
9) Bristol
10) Warwick
11) Kings
12) Nottingham
13) Manchester
14) Leeds
15) York
16) Sheffield
17) Exeter
18) Newcastle
19) Lancaster
20) Bath

Again many could go up one or two places but what would everyone else's be - purely out of curiosity. Don't get upset by this if your uni isn't mention, just correct me.
Original post by rodcarter
Out of curiosity if everyone were to compile their own top 20 - based purely on opinion of prestige, job prospects and academic research what would they be?

I'd go for (and bare in mind this is an extremely rough list not intended to insult anyone's institution)

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) LSE
6) Imperial
7) Edinburgh
8) St Andrews
9) Bristol
10) Warwick
11) Kings
12) Nottingham
13) Manchester
14) Leeds
15) York
16) Sheffield
17) Exeter
18) Newcastle
19) Lancaster
20) Bath

Again many could go up one or two places but what would everyone else's be - purely out of curiosity. Don't get upset by this if your uni isn't mention, just correct me.

Interesting question :smile:

I would honestly use the same universities as you but tweak them a bit.

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Imperial
5) LSE
6) Durham
7) Warwick
8) St Andrews
9) Edinburgh
10) Bristol
11) Kings
12) Lancaster (might be a bit bias since I have firmed :lol: )
13) Nottingham
14) Sheffield
15) Newcastle
16) Leeds
17) Exeter
18) Manchester
19) York
20) Bath
Somewhere, someone always returns to this.

Teenagers with good A level scores want everything in life to be ranked by A level score.

I am afraid the real world isn't like that and tariff is directly proportional to geographical convenience and quality of the local nightclubs.

a uni is only as good as its students though?
and although exam results arent perfect indicators for how clever someone is there's at least a trend imo

The use of entry grades implies that students with the strongest qualifications will go to the university that is best for their subject
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by funkydee
a uni is only as good as its students though?

Well is it?

A lot of research universities would consider the quality or even presence of students to be irrelevant to what they are.

The THES ranking, which is closest to academics' chosen method of ranking only takes into account two metrics relating to students; the proportion of postgrads to undergrads and the number of different nationalities amongst students.

Once one accepts that students are at the core of what a university is, then it is not going much further to say that those students should be satisfied.
Given the Guardian's guide is supposed to help students choose universities, surely it's important to plan to few years ahead to work out what one might do upon graduating, ie postgraduate studies / research or work outside academia?

Therefore, instead of having so much bearing on student satisfaction alone, there ought to have been a category illustrating employers' perception / satisfaction of graduates.
Original post by dugdugdug
Given the Guardian's guide is supposed to help students choose universities, surely it's important to plan to few years ahead to work out what one might do upon graduating, ie postgraduate studies / research or work outside academia?

Therefore, instead of having so much bearing on student satisfaction alone, there ought to have been a category illustrating employers' perception / satisfaction of graduates.

Did you not notice the career after 6 month column?
Reply 2597

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) LSE
6) Imperial
7) Edinburgh
8) St Andrews
9) Bristol
10) Warwick
11) Kings
12) Nottingham
13) Manchester
14) Leeds
15) York
16) Sheffield
17) Exeter
18) Newcastle
19) Lancaster
20) Bath

I'd be inclined to agree with most of that, and probably move a few of them around; think I'd take Lancaster out of it - good uni but it isn't particularly prestigious as far as I'm aware. Would move Bath up and probably introduce Glasgow/Birmingham into the mix. They both deserve to be in there. A top 25 would probably be more accurate. There's not a huge difference between the universities that take up ~5-25 anyway in my opinion. (Edit) Also forgot Southampton.
(edited 11 years ago)

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) LSE
6) Imperial
7) Edinburgh
8) St Andrews
9) Bristol
10) Warwick
11) Kings
12) Nottingham
13) Manchester
14) Leeds
15) York
16) Sheffield
17) Exeter
18) Newcastle
19) Lancaster
20) Bath

Bath, York and Exeter should be above Leeds if we are going by the typical notion of 'prestige' and current reputation. I would like to hear the thinking behind this table, seems you've gone for two of the best multi-faculty universities after Oxbridge, in the next two spots and chucked in a few Scottish universities for good measure.

Durham doesn't fare too well on academic research in comparison to other 'top universities' yet you have it in 4th place despite this being one of your specified criteria.
LSE and Imperial take the 1st and 2nd spots for graduate prospects and are research powerhouses second only to Oxbridge and considerably above Durham and UCL yet you have them in 5th and 6th, despite them coming above those two in almost every tangible criteria including 'research, job prospects and arguably prestige. St Andrews lags behind in graduate prospects and research in comparison to Warwick. Judging by the criteria you listed, your ranking doesn't add up. Fair enough to have your own personal 'top 20' but don't bother saying that is based on 'prestige, job prospects and academic research' when you clearly haven't looked at any figures and it is likely to be based purely on your notion of prestige.
(edited 11 years ago)
why is manchester so **** i feel like dropping out !

Latest

Trending

Trending