The Student Room Group

laughing at 'silly' names

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schmucks
I'd still rather have a name like that than Alan Smith (or whatever a common girl equivilant is) so don't worry. :smile:

I used to want a normal name and toyed with going by my middle name at one stage (unfortunately, I absolutely detest that name :rolleyes:) ... but now, I've got used to it and it's a part of me. I am the person with the odd name, and I don't think I could get rid of it. :dontknow:
My Dad wanted to call me Polly. That would have made me Polly Barrett, as in polly parrot. I'm glad he didn't.
Reply 62
Original post by TheSownRose
I used to want a normal name and toyed with going by my middle name at one stage (unfortunately, I absolutely detest that name :rolleyes:) ... but now, I've got used to it and it's a part of me. I am the person with the odd name, and I don't think I could get rid of it. :dontknow:

I hate my ordinary name (Alice) which is why I get everyone to call me Alix now
Reply 63
My mum used to work with a guy called Richard Swipe, and for whatever his job title was, was required to get letters to his workplace. So every morning it'd be there in the mail.

Mr. R Swipe.

True story.
when my dad went to cambridge, the college porters used to take the piss out of him because his surname is Punt... and in case you didnt know, the boats they have there are called punts.
VERY original :facepalm:
Reply 65
Original post by anna-chipie 95
when my dad went to cambridge, the college porters used to take the piss out of him because his surname is Punt... and in case you didnt know, the boats they have there are called punts.

Name like Punt, could've been worse.
Hi there.

My surname is Hickey.
Reply 67
Does anyone remember a news story that went round a couple of years back, concerning the Peacock family? A couple with the surname Peacock named their newborn son Drew. Then they decided to look Drew Peacock up online to see if there was anyone famous with this name. Google came up with "Did you mean Droopy cock?".

Call me immature, but this still brings a smile to my face.
Reply 68
The transport person for schools for my county council when I was at school was called Mrs Pickup!!!

She chose the right job for her name :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 69
Original post by JSR94
The transport person for schools for my county council when I was at school was called Mrs Pickup!!!

I once read a book that had a psychologist called Dr. Knutz :biggrin:
Original post by anna-chipie 95

I thought you said they used to TAKE HIS PISS OUT FOR HIM
..I was thinking 'omg Cambridge really is elite' haa:P
Reply 71
Original post by JamalAhmed
Insulting Mohammed is disrespectful to your (our) religion. Just tell them to shut up....s

Except they were making fun of the sound of the word not the islamic prophet or Islam. And they were kids

Even plain surnames get made fun of (although it normally stops much earlier)...my surname is mills and even i got jokes (windmills, pills, beverley hills etc...not good jokes).

Making fun of the name mills isn't making fun of millers.
And most jokes about being called mohamed (or other spellings) aren't about the prophet or religion.
Reply 72
Original post by JSR94

I had a high-school teacher called Mr. Pickup. My dad used to say 'pick-up truck' to him at Parents Evening. Bit embarrassing.

Even worse, Mr. Pickup was a Leeds United fan (like me). He knew this and belted out Leeds songs in the corridor when I saw him. This didn't go down well with the other kids in a Lancashire high-school...
Reply 73
My last name is Small and it's been the bane of my life.. the fact I'm short really increases the comedic value :rolleyes:
Original post by whyumadtho
What kind of evil parents would do that? :zomg:

I would have gone with richard :/
My surname isn't unfortunate as such, but it's forever being mis-pronounced as it's French.
Same for my first name, actually. It isn't difficult to pronounce, but it's Lara. People *always* call me Laura.

My Chemistry class in Year 12 had someone called Phil Mitchell and someone called John Mitchell (they aren't related). However, John had the nickname "Peggy" because one of his legs was slightly shorter than the other and he walked with a limp. The result? Phil and Peggy Mitchell sat next to each other.
It took us about 6 months to realise this.

When I was in Holland, I saw a book written by "Dick Swaab". Tad unfortunate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Saw a dude once whos surname was Raspberry, gotta admit ... that's pretty funny, not the guy who's name it was, just the fact it's Raspberry.
My surname is also a fairly common boys first name. However, it's spelt a completely different way.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Why do people (usually immature children) laugh at and even sometimes pick on people cos of their name? I think it's quite sad really.

Your parents picked it and changing it (and on all your accounts and licences etc) is a faff, time consuming and expensive. And would probably make any historians job in the future harder to find out about you.

I had a bit of bother, but not too much. I'm female and part Scottish. My last name is Scottish, but also a fairly common boys name. Kids I went to school with (in England) thought it was wierd that I had a boys name as a last name especially as they didn't realise it was Scottish. What didn't help was the fact that on most school registers, your surname is printed before your first name. Even in sixth form teachers still make the mistakes of calling me it occaissionally when they're not paying attention.

So I didn't get it really bad, but I can sympathise with those that do. A guy at my sixth form has the last name Sparkhall, which is pronounced Sparkle by most people. A group of guys in our class find it hilarious :sigh:

I am not a kid and I still snigger at the name of a woman I met - Teresa Green. And yes that was her name. And then a young girl called Charisma ( who was soooo plain) - I could go on.
Reply 79
When I say my surname and then my mums maiden name people do snigger.
My surname's Bramble, my mum was a Hedges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending