The Student Room Group

Is prescription -0.50 low enough to wear glasses full time?

So I had an eye test and found out I'm myopic in both eyes with a prescription of -0.50 and an astigmatism in my left eye.

My glasses arrived today and I really like them. They really clear things up, but I'm incredibly afraid to where them in public or in front of my friends!

Does anyone else with a prescription similar to mine wear them full-time as well? How did you find wearing them I front of friends/public for he first time?

These are the ones I got by the way: http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/modern/tb1142-1/

PS - Contacts are not an option.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My prescription's since increased, but when I was first tested and found out I was short-sighted, I didn't want to wear them all the time and only put them on in class when I had to look at the board. But then it became a pain to keep on taking them on and off so I eventually graduated to wearing them all the time- no one really made a comment about my gradual transition to glasses (although about nine months after I got glasses I did switch to contacts, but I will still wear my glasses to school/out of the house on occasion).

Two of my friends recently had to start wearing glasses and they absolutely refuse to wear them unless absolutely necessary (also short-sighted) but it's really not that bad!
Also, your glasses are nice, don't worry :')
Reply 3
If you need them to see what's the problem? Who cares what your friends think? If they're really going to go ape at you for daring to correct your vision then they're not your friends. And members of the public aren't going to point and stare at you, glasses are actually common now...

If you like them and they help you: wear them. Nothing else should matter.
My eyesight is now a lot worse but I used to wear them all the time else I put them in my pocket and sit on them.... If they make things clearer then go for it, if you strain your eyes all the time it can make it worse...
Wear them if you want; who cares what people think?!

Although your prescription isn't strong enough for you to need to wear them all the time if you don't want to.
Reply 6
Don't wear them all the time if you don't need them would be my advice - you will become forever dependent on them, and it can lead to your eyesight getting worse.

This is from my personal experience - take it as you want.
(edited 11 years ago)
I used to be -0.5 exactly, but it bothered me really badly that I couldn't see so I wore them a lot. If you can't see you can't see, no point straining your eyes by squinting when it'll probably just make it worse

edit- although it's equally pointless using them for like reading a book, when if we're similar then it's like whiteboards and thing that are the problem
I'd definitely recommend wearing them most of the time, if not all. I think my first prescription wasn't too dissimilar, but I never bothered wearing them.

Now I think my eyes are about 5-10x worse.. :colonhash:

Although, that wasn't purely because I didn't wear my glasses then, I didn't wear them much even after my prescription got stronger.

Edit: I wouldn't be too worried about wearing them. I have glasses pretty similar to that and some people say I look better with them on. It's just a case of personal preference, really.

The only thing that I hate about glasses is how dirty they get! And how easily they get dirty! Annoys me so much, which is why I prefer (and wear) contact lenses. But hey, being able to see is worth putting up with a slight inconvenience. My glasses are undoubtedly better for vision than my contacts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by benpearson1
I'd definitely recommend wearing them most of the time, if not all. I think my first prescription wasn't too dissimilar, but I never bothered wearing them.

Now I think my eyes are about 5-10x worse.. :colonhash:

Although, that wasn't purely because I didn't wear my glasses then, I didn't wear them much even after my prescription got stronger.

Same, in a year I've budged from -0.5 to -2, my sister is an optician and frustrated by me haha. Just happens
Original post by randomguy786
So I had an eye test and found out I'm myopic in both eyes with a prescription of -0.50 and an astigmatism in my left eye.

My glasses arrived today and I really like them. They really clear things up, but I'm incredibly afraid to where them in public or in front of my friends!

Does anyone else with a prescription similar to mine wear them full-time as well? How did you find wearing them I front of friends/public for he first time?

These are the ones I got by the way: http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/modern/tb1142-1/

I'm -1.0 and I don't wear my glasses all the time, only if I need to read something far away like slides on a ppt. I've had mine for a year now and some people are only just noticing that I have glasses :laugh:. They do really help when I'm just walking about, but I don't really want to wear them all the time.
Original post by roseroserose.
Same, in a year I've budged from -0.5 to -2, my sister is an optician and frustrated by me haha. Just happens

I know! Especially with the first pair of glasses I had :facepalm:

Typical 'dorky' looking thin frames with some stupid pattern I think, I have no idea why they (or my family) expected me to wear them. :rolleyes:

A bit like the OP, I've never really liked wearing them outdoors. Happy to wear them inside, but never really liked to outside. Which is why I got contacts :biggrin:
Reply 12
I´m -3 in one eye and -2.5 in the other and I don´t wear them all the time, only when absolutely necessary.
Original post by AeroLB
Don't wear them all the time if you don't need them would be my advice - you will become forever dependent on them, and it can lead to your eyesight getting worse.

:facepalm2:

Please don't take this advice; wear them whenever you need to. Even if you're on a walk (for example) it's definitely beneficial because a) You can see things better. Even though it seems insignificant with a -0.5/-1, there is a difference and b) You won't strain your eyes at all and thus won't struggle when you don't have your glasses, like me.

Basically, do the opposite of what this moron told you and you shouldn't have any problems :h:

A neg for advice.. lovely. Don't worry, as of tomorrow I am a subscriber so needless to say I will find you and neg you to hell and back. Even if I have to make multiple accounts.. I will do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fuero
I´m -3 in one eye and -2.5 in the other and I don´t wear them all the time, only when absolutely necessary.

Again, not wanting to advise everyone but you definitely should be wearing them more often. If you don't like them, then get contacts.

I guarantee if you need to wear them (which you do with your prescription) and don't enough, your eyesight will deteriorate and then you will need to wear them all the time. You won't have any choice of luxury whatsoever.

My mum did this and now can barely see someone's face in the same room.
Reply 15
I didn't start wearing mine full time until about -2, but then I really wondered what had took me so long. It's just really nice to be able to see all the time! I do spend about half the time in contact lenses though.
I've only got a mild prescription and I wear mine all the time. I only got glasses last year. I only /need/ them for concentrating on something over 2m away, but I've now got so used to having good vision with them that when I don't wear them everything seems blurry and a bit scary :/

Those glasses you've chosen are really cute, I might get some like that next time. Mine are blue at the moment.
Reply 17
Original post by randomguy786

Original post by benpearson1
Again, not wanting to advise everyone but you definitely should be wearing them more often. If you don't like them, then get contacts.

I guarantee if you need to wear them (which you do with your prescription) and don't enough, your eyesight will deteriorate and then you will need to wear them all the time. You won't have any choice of luxury whatsoever.

My mum did this and now can barely see someone's face in the same room.

I only wear my glasses part time (which is rare haha) and my vision has improved from -3 in both eyes to -1.5 and -1.25 in each eye so I don't think it really matters if you wear them full time. I find wearing mine all the time my eyes become dependant on them which can probably cause my vision to get worse so I only wear them when vital. :tongue:
I can't think that's right, although I don't profess to be an expert on the matter so I could be wrong. I'm only going on what both of my opticians have told me.

I'd say it's just your eyes adjusting to the prescription, which is obviously what your eyes need (otherwise you wouldn't have that prescription.

I'd say to everyone just follow your opticians advice, but if your eyesight is -3 or below I'd think you need to wear your glasses most of the time. Why the hell would any optician in their right mind give you glasses that would make your vision worse?!
I think the fact I started wearing mine all the time made my vision slightly worse. Nowadays I could just about get by without wearing them but seeing writing from a distance I can't do. I just take mine off for being on the computer and reading as I don't need them for doing them and it becomes a bit of a hindrance wearing them.

Quick Reply

Latest