The Student Room Group

One front deltoid bigger than the other

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could recommend some workouts for the front deltoid. My left anterior deltoid is much larger than my right one and it is now quite visible to me.

The plan is to work on my right front deltoid a lot more than i do on my left, but i just wanted to know if anyone could recommend some good workouts and maybe a routine that means i can make the smaller front deltoid catch up.
Reply 1
Could just be how your body is. People aren't suppose to be symmetrical even the best bodybuilders. Although it could also be that if your using dumbells then your technique/form differs on one side to the other. Try watching yourself in front of a mirror, or using a barbell for the exercise
Reply 2
Try to avoid only working on one side. You'll end up with a really nasty imbalance, much worse than what it is right now. As you get bigger, they'll both tend to even out anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by Maxima
Try to avoid only working on one side. You'll end up with a really nasty imbalance, much worse than what it is right now. As you get bigger, they'll both tend to even out anyway.

you think? i was planning on doing my normal workout, but adding burn sets to my right side, the difference is quite large , yet the smaller side is even stronger.:confused:
Reply 4
Aye don't just work 1 side more than the other. Do what I said. What exercises you doing anyway
Reply 5
Original post by rattyryan
Aye don't just work 1 side more than the other. Do what I said. What exercises you doing anyway

shoulder press, delt raises , standing military press, lateral raises, and shrugs to hit my traps
Reply 6
I'd drop military press if your doing shoulder press tbh. Then just check your form for the rest in a mirror or film it on cam n watch it back. Shoulder blades pinned back for rear n lat raise n elbows flared on shoulder press. I'd drop shrugs too depending on what you do on your other days. But theres plenty of compounds that hit traps.
Just realised your on about front delt. Check your form for your bench too. Shoulders pinned back elbows tight for barbell.
Theres lots of stuff. Just make sure form is perfect for everything. Doesn't matter how much weight is on the bar form is more important
Reply 7
Avoid using machines

I also read that you should continue training as normal, as the weaker side often works harder to keep
Up with the stronger side, and thus the asymmetry corrects itself
Reply 8
I would keep doing your normal training plan, but maybe add 3x10 front raises on the small side. Don't compromise on the two shoulder exercises like ohp though.

Edit: wth with the negs? This is just for size, the compound movements like OHP I hope OP is doing anyway will keep strength balanced on both sides.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Raja1988
Avoid using machines

I also read that you should continue training as normal, as the weaker side often works harder to keep
Up with the stronger side, and thus the asymmetry corrects itself

Why should you avoid using machines? The only argument not to use machines is that it takes away the natural motion of the exercise which could cause injury such as squatting on the smith machine. Other than that the majority are fine.
Reply 10
Original post by rattyryan
Why should you avoid using machines? The only argument not to use machines is that it takes away the natural motion of the exercise which could cause injury such as squatting on the smith machine. Other than that the majority are fine.

I meant avoid them in training delts. Say for instance on a shoulder press machine the stronger side will do most of the work, meaning the imbalance isn't corrected and maybe worsened.

Shoulder pressing with dumbbells obviously he'd be using the same dumbbell on both sides, training each side separately.
Reply 11
thanks for the advice, ill try to implement them and see where i'm going wrong
Try working on the mind muscle connection more when working the smaller side, I have this problem with me left delt, has a knock on effect as my left pec is bigger due to it having to work more when training chest because the right is stronger etc.

Just work on feeling the contraction of the muscle you are working out and of course avoid machines as someone said!

Quick Reply

Latest