The Student Room Group

can i have the honest truth

i've actually googled this for hints and searched uni websites thoroughly but none seem to mention it. if you're overweight and potentially obese, do you have a really low chance of getting into medical school?
i want the honest answer because i'm pretty sure i'll be disadvantaged with this, i am currently trying to work on my weight and i would like to know if this will or will not be an important factor in my application so i don't end up wasting my time applying. i would be so grateful if anyone replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

yep, they rejected me for medicine last year. i got the vibe that it was because of my fatness.
Reply 2
First I thought that shouldn't be any kind of factor, then I noticed that for a doctor it has to be quite difficult to convince a patient of losing weight (due to Diabetes, cardiovascular diseases etc.) if said person is fat himself/herself :redface: This said, I have never seen only one really overweight doctor - they are all rather slim, maybe due to the stress level.
Reply 3
ahh thanks, i'm guessing it should be rather obvious that you should be a healthy weight then :/ i don't know if i should even bother, i was thinking they might not mind so much as you could end up being a medical researcher or something not really related to the health of the body, especially as i'm more interested in psychiatry... it would help if they mentioned it outright so you know if you have a shot or not.
Reply 4
No. They can't reject you because of this, it's discrimination. Unless you physically couldn't participate in the course.
Reply 5
Original post by Girl.
No. They can't reject you because of this, it's discrimination. Unless you physically couldn't participate in the course.

are you sure, cos it seems like it would make more sense, and no one would know if they did it anyway since they reject a lot of people as it is.
Reply 6
Original post by lazershus
ahh thanks, i'm guessing it should be rather obvious that you should be a healthy weight then :/ i don't know if i should even bother, i was thinking they might not mind so much as you could end up being a medical researcher or something not really related to the health of the body, especially as i'm more interested in psychiatry... it would help if they mentioned it outright so you know if you have a shot or not.

The great thing is: it's all in your hands. Lose weight weight and no one will bother - you can even mention it in your interview to show your determination.

I know it's easier said than done, but nothing in life comes for free (don't know how to translate that German saying).
Reply 7
Original post by Girl.

Unfortunately that's not how it works :wink: Officially they can't do it, but as it's all based on a complicated application process including an interview they can just tell you you didn't perform well at your interview or whatever else. If they want to reject someone for some reason, they can do it and no one can find out.
i've actually googled this for hints and searched uni websites thoroughly but none seem to mention it. if you're overweight and potentially obese, do you have a really low chance of getting into medical school?
i want the honest answer because i'm pretty sure i'll be disadvantaged with this, i am currently trying to work on my weight and i would like to know if this will or will not be an important factor in my application so i don't end up wasting my time applying. i would be so grateful if anyone replies :smile:

Errr.... no. Not at all. Unless you were unable to stand then there is no basis for it at all. There are plenty of obese med students. A med student was on supersize versus superskinny and she was the supersize. If nothing else it gives the individual a chance to learn about what affect their weight has along the way. Also, some places don't interview so how would they know? It's not like they're going to start putting it on the UKCAS form!!
Original post by Girl.

Yes, if the world was a perfect place then this would apply. However, real life is a little different, discrimination occurs all the time.
The other year a girl in my school got rejected, and she was, if there is one, a perfect candidate. Straight A*. Awesome extra curriculars. Really nice personality, good personal statement. High UKCAT score. She got four rejections post interview. It can happen to anyone due to bad luck, but she was also quite overweight.
Maybe people wouldn't consciously discriminate, but maybe subconsciously....
Still, you have two months before the first interview dates, and many aren't until after christmas. You have plenty of time to lose weight if that's what you want.
Reply 11
Original post by Sir Fox
Unfortunately that's not how it works :wink: Officially they can't do it, but as it's all based on a complicated application process including an interview they can just tell you you didn't perform well at your interview or whatever else. If they want to reject someone for some reason, they can do it and no one can find out.

lol exactly what i was thinking, but thanks for that saying, you've given me more motivation i'm definitely going to try and work at it but the application process is starting soon and i can't loose weight that quickly without practically starving myself! ughhh it's all so confusing, i'll just love to meet an overweight person who got in!
So your not the woman in your avatar? :eek: :frown:
Original post by HopefullyMedic
The other year a girl in my school got rejected, and she was, if there is one, a perfect candidate. Straight A*. Awesome extra curriculars. Really nice personality, good personal statement. High UKCAT score. She got four rejections post interview. It can happen to anyone due to bad luck, but she was also quite overweight.
Still, you have two months before the first interview dates, and many aren't until after christmas. You have plenty of time to lose weight if that's what you want.

I have a friend exactly like that too except she is a very fit/healthy person. It's just the way things go sometimes.
Reply 14
Original post by BethaneyJ
Errr.... no. Not at all. Unless you were unable to stand then there is no basis for it at all. There are plenty of obese med students. A med student was on supersize versus superskinny and she was the supersize. If nothing else it gives the individual a chance to learn about what affect their weight has along the way. Also, some places don't interview so how would they know? It's not like they're going to start putting it on the UKCAS form!!

ahahaaa, this just made me laugh, not sure why :P but thanks, gives me a little hope now :smile:

Original post by HopefullyMedic

thankss, this is what i mean, and i'm definitely not the perfect candidate so my chances are looking a bit slim (which is a pretty ironic word now i think about it, pun was not intended!!) i'll definitely try and lose as much weight as i can in a healthy way though, worth the try i guess.

This girl (on the left) is a medical student. She had an interview.

She is absolutely wonderful and is doing really well losing weight. <3

But there you go. Perfect example.

lol exactly what i was thinking, but thanks for that saying, you've given me more motivation i'm definitely going to try and work at it but the application process is starting soon and i can't loose weight that quickly without practically starving myself! ughhh it's all so confusing, i'll just love to meet an overweight person who got in!
Reply 16
Just lose the weight.
Reply 17
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
So your not the woman in your avatar? :eek: :frown:

omg no, sorry to disappoint! i should really change my avatar, someone else thought it was me too and tried chatting me up, was quite funny tbh :') just in case you're wondering why i have a random person as my avatar, it's a celeb i like!
Reply 18
Original post by BethaneyJ

This girl (on the left) is a medical student. She had an interview.

She is absolutely wonderful and is doing really well losing weight. <3

But there you go. Perfect example.

:eek: well i'm not that big so if she can get in then i guess i could too with a lot of effort! :biggrin:
omg no, sorry to disappoint! i should really change my avatar, someone else thought it was me too and tried chatting me up, was quite funny tbh :') just in case you're wondering why i have a random person as my avatar, it's a celeb i like!

Oh okay, I can see why someone tried chatting you up with an avatar like that :biggrin: Good luck getting into med school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending