The Student Room Group

Is the mirror or camera more accurate?

I had some passport photos taken today in a photo booth. I thought I'd made myself look 'nice' in the mirror before I had the photos done. The photos made me look a lot worse than I thought I'd looked when I saw myself in the mirror. What I saw in the mirror wasn't what I saw in the photos.

Is the mirror or camera more accurate? Do people see me like the mirror or camera?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mirror.

Cameras don't have unlimited resolution.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
When you look in a mirror, you see a mirror image of yourself. What everyone else sees when they look at you in person, is the opposite, i.e. right and left flipped.

Therefore on that basis, a picture taken by a camera is a more accurate representation of what people see when they look at you.

This is also why if you look at the reflection of a friend etc. in a mirror, they look weird to you but normal to themselves.
Camera. Your eyes cannot see what a high resolution camera can.

People see you in the same perspective as a camera does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho

So surely no-one else's eyes can?
Reply 5
Camera.

Your brain actually messes you up when you look in the mirror, screws with your perception and stuff. A picture is a truer representation of what you look like.
Reply 6
In a way camera, but then again in the mirror your eyes see the true resolution and depth field of your face.
Camera because as people saying looking at a mirror image ISN'T actually you. Your mirror image may be more attractive than you or vice versa.

Try double-mirroring :tongue:
Original post by manchesterunited15
So surely no-one else's eyes can?
Not without zooming in. Eyes have other advantages, such as being able to handle different exposures better and being able to see in the dark more effectively.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by whyumadtho

Actually the human eye has a much much much higher resolution than an HD camera - I think you'll find. :wink:
Original post by Tycho
Actually the human eye has a much much much higher resolution than an HD camera - I think you'll find. :wink:

+1 .

I'd say Mirror
But why is it then you look good in some mirrors and cameras but terrible in others?
Reply 12
Original post by undiscovered_
But why is it then you look good in some mirrors and cameras but terrible in others?

Lighting etc
It depends on lighting, angles etc.
Video camera, surely? As it catches your face in motion and it's not flipped like the reflection in a mirror.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Tycho
It depends on how high the resolution is.
Original post by Thin Dump
Lighting etc

So how do we know what we truly look like..if we're the terrible reflection or the nice one.. :confused:
Original post by Megaross
Mirror.

Cameras don't have unlimited resolution.

Nor does the eye.
Reply 18
Original post by undiscovered_
So how do we know what we truly look like..if we're the terrible reflection or the nice one.. :confused:

pictures from cameras, not mirrors, you dont look like your mirror reflection do you? thats an inverted image
Reply 19
What if you take a picture infront of a mirror with a camera?

Latest

Trending

Trending