The Student Room Group

love is not real, if you think about it

i don't want to go anon, otherwise i would be classed as a wimp

I know lots of people are going to disagree with me, but let me know if I make sense

for example,

girl meets guy and they have a happy relationship
but something bad happens, so they break up
now they would move on and date lots people until they meet the "one" and get married and settle in
but unfortunately they might a divorce, so they'll date other people

you see, when you go out with someone you'll love them but if you break up and move on

then have a new bf/gf you'll love them as well

love shouldn't get passed on like that, it should only be with one person
so love is not real

like if i have a boyfriend, i won't stop thinking how many girls he's been with and claimed to have that "true love" with them

am i making sense?

lol :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nemogirl

I know lots of people are going to disagree with me, but let me know if I make sense

for example,

now they would move on and date lots people until they meet the "one" and get married and settle in

you see, when you go out with someone you'll love them but if you break up and move on

so love is not real

like if i have a boyfriend, i won't stop thinking how many girls he's been with and claimed to have that "true love" with them

am i making sense?

I disagree. There's no reason why you can't love more than one person.
Reply 2
People change, environments change, situations, state of mind, preferences at that time. Your celebrity crush at 11 would be different to your love for your wife at 70.

Also, if you really love chocolate, that doesn't mean you can't really love coffee. It is the exact same with relationships - except you don't eat or drink who you love.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see your point and I too have had these fears and reservations about love, but love comes in so many different forms just like happiness and sadness and there is no reason you can't love someone else in a different way.
Also as you get older you change what you love, when I was about 10 or younger I loved S-club 7 but now I have moved on, doesn't mean the love I felt for them wasn't real.
(edited 11 years ago)
We understand you but you're not making sense. Ya get me?

Love is a certain set of feelings you get when someone makes you feel a certain way. It's not impossible to love someone, fall out of love, and then someone else brings out those same feelings in you.
Reply 5
I think I understand the meaning of your post, OP.

I've always been a 'relationship cynic' from a young age and for that reason I don't really open up to women unless I think they're something really special.
I don't settle for second best in life, and I don't see why that would change with relationships considering how completely integral they are to a happy life.

For now, I'll just keep swimming 'till I find that one.
Reply 6
Original post by SherlockH
People change, environments change, situations, state of mind, preferences at that time. Your celebrity crush at 11 would be different to your love for your wife at 70.

Also, if you really love chocolate, that doesn't mean you can't really love coffee. It is the exact same with relationships - except you don't eat or drink who you love.

just laughed out loud while trying to drink and got coke all over my laptop screen.

but yeah I agree, why would you think that loving more than one person in a lifetime meant that either was less valid? Love is a feeling, emotion. You can be truly happy, miserable, angry ect on more than one occasion so why not truly in love?
Reply 7
It's not practical to say "love isn't real" as there is more than one kind of love: parent&child; relationships as being talked about here; friendship.

Just as you stop being friends with somebody (i.e stop loving them as a friend), you can stop being in love with somebody.
Just as a child can come to despise their parent, a person can hate and fall out of love with another person.

"love shouldn't get passed on like that" : it's not that it's getting "passed on" it;s that it has waned/stopped. It happens, just like somebody above gave the example of loving Sclub in the past ... obviously this isn't as big a deal as being in love with somebody.

What happens if a person's partner dies/leaves them for whatever reason, should this "deserted" (for want of a better word) person not move on and find somebody else because they have been in love with somebody else in the past?
Reply 8

for example,

so love is not real

am i making sense?

What about couples who meet, fall in love, and stay together forever?

'if you think about it'...they do exist, even if there are few of them about

> love can be real
Reply 9
In a way he's right, love doesn't have any empirical evidence supporting it apart from the increase in adrenaline and a few other hormones. But thats more attraction than "love"...
Reply 10
you just look at one form of love. (and I disagree with you on that one.) But what about a mother's love for her child. Surely this is 'real'
Reply 11
why should love only be possible with one person? there are seven billion people on this planet, if there is only one person for you statistically you will not meet them

besides, it just isn't a matter of finding a person who fits like a jigsaw. when people are in a relationship they change eachother. when you meet you may not be the kind of person they would love, and they might not person you would love, but you both change until you fit eachother.
Reply 12

for example,

so love is not real

am i making sense?

You've come to the right conclusion but for the wrong reason... well actually you've come to the wrong conclusion for the wrong reason. You see, love is very real but it's not magical, it's chemical. Love can be induced and it can be suppressed using beta blockers. Basically, love is chemical reaction. Does it make love any less authentic? Well, no. If you stop viewing love as some magical force and see it for what it really is and that is a method reproduction and maintenance of young.

for example,

so love is not real

am i making sense?

Sounds like you don't want your boyfriend to be with anyone else apart from you.
Hate to be the spec that has to say this, but love = emotion = chemical execretion. You seem to be under the impression that your body gives a damn about the do's and don't's of romance. It really doesn't. It cares about you reproducing to preserve the species; that's all love is. Nature's method of making sure we ****.
I totally understand what you are saying that's why people are made for each other, one person is made for another person. That's why in the "olden day" divorce was not as popular as it is now because they would get married straight away and usually both of them would have true love for each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea what to think of love.
It's so mysterious, so weird :moon:

Like, people don't decide whom to fall in love with, though they can sort-of influence it by using psychology on themselves ... gah it's so bizarre.
Reply 17

for example,

so love is not real

am i making sense?

I split up with my girlfriend, she cheated on me several times, and constantly treated me like ****, but not for our whole relationship. I loved who she used to be but people can change, and that's why you can fall out of love with someone.
Original post by Lawstudent321
I totally understand what you are saying that's why people are made for each other, one person is made for another person. That's why in the "olden day" divorce was not as popular as it is now because they would get married straight away and usually both of them would have true love for each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People are still made for eachother...
Original post by Purplestars1
People are still made for eachother...

Are you being romantic or serious there?
If the latter, got any evidence? :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending