The Student Room Group

What are my options? QUB/Edinburgh/Bristol/RVC.

I graduated from the University of Michigan with a 2:1 bachelor's degree in Neuroscience. I've applied to animal behavior and welfare postgraduate taught programs in the UK and just received an offer from Queen's University Belfast. I have to accept or decline within two weeks, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top three choices (University of Edinburgh, University of Bristol, and Royal Veterinary College). This may not happen until February or March. Am I likely to receive an offer from any of these? I haven't been able to find information on how competitive this particular field is. Should I take a risk and decline the offer at QUB if I have to? Any advice regarding this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
Original post by alaaelah
I graduated from the University of Michigan with a 2:1 bachelor's degree in Neuroscience. I've applied to animal behavior and welfare postgraduate taught programs in the UK and just received an offer from Queen's University Belfast. I have to accept or decline within two weeks, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top three choices (University of Edinburgh, University of Bristol, and Royal Veterinary College). This may not happen until February or March. Am I likely to receive an offer from any of these? I haven't been able to find information on how competitive this particular field is. Should I take a risk and decline the offer at QUB if I have to? Any advice regarding this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Does QUB require a deposit? If not you can accept, and if you get an offer from one of your preferred unis later you can then withdraw your acceptance. This seems to be relatively common practice. (If you have to pay a deposit with your acceptance you will probably lose it if you withdraw your acceptance later.)

I can't comment on the competitiveness of your application compared with the rest of the applicant cohort for these degrees, but it is my understanding that Bristol is the standout place for animal welfare research in the UK and has a very strong global standing in that area.

As above, it is perfectly normal to accept postgrad offers and then reject them subsequently when your final decision is made. If a university expects a decision to be absolute, then they ask for a deposit.
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies.

sj27: Their website states that they provide the facility to make a deposit towards tuition, so it sounds like it's optional.

threeportdrift: Do you know what Edinburgh's standing is in that department?
I'm taking out loans for tuition and it's significantly cheaper there - and I keep reading negative things about Bristol (the city). Thoughts?
Reply 4
If no deposit, then you are in the clear to accept and wait for your top3. Veterinary Science in Bristol works closely with the zoo. the city is mixed, you have the genteel part with smart Georgian houses and then you have the rough part with council estates/project housing. But in general, living cost is lower and it is closer to Ann Arbor then Belfast or Edinburgh. But no college football, Go Blue! What RVC campus is your course located, Camden or Hertfordshire?
Reply 5
There are constant riots in Belfast. Not one of the safest places to live!

I'd also suggest that you ask current students and alumni for teaching quality at QUB. You may be surprised.
Thank you for the replies.

sj27: Their website states that they provide the facility to make a deposit towards tuition, so it sounds like it's optional.

threeportdrift: Do you know what Edinburgh's standing is in that department?
I'm taking out loans for tuition and it's significantly cheaper there - and I keep reading negative things about Bristol (the city). Thoughts?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Edinburgh Vets.

I'm surprised you've heard negative things about Bristol. First of all most people seem to think its a brilliant city. I've seen the detail of the National Students Survey and Bristol students rave on about how great their experience of the city has been.

Second, check out how much of your course is in the Faculty of Medical and Veterinary Science and how much is in the Vet School. The Vet School isn't even in Bristol, so if a lot of your course is out at Langford, it's all green fields and cows!
Reply 7
Thanks OxLo. That was one of my qualms regarding Belfast. I've accepted as there was no deposit but hopefully will get into one of my top three soon.

Tcannon: I'll be happy to be rid of college football! I think Camden but I'm not 100% clear on that, wasn't able to find the information on the site.

threeportdrift: Thanks for the advice, I'll find out. It was surprising to me too, because one of my friends absolutely loves Bristol. It's what I found on the internet that worried me about my liking the city.

Thanks again everyone! (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Bristol receives good reviews from students for living quality and at 250,000 residents, it has a good size with plenty history. Plenty things to do and the uni has active student societies in music and theatre. There are worse uni dumps in other towns with high crime rate.

Camden for RVC: You will be bang in London, it is popular among musicians, tourists and artists. But is overrated and rent is sky high in Camden. Try to get into uni housing early. You pay £4.20 for a beer in pub. Hertfordshire campus is more relaxed.

Edinburgh: My neighbour is a Cambridge educated vet and applied to Edinburgh when he was at high school. It is one of the most established vet science departments with plenty electives in later stages. But learning style is more formal and emphasis on theory in year 1-2. He reckoned that Glasgow has better balanced teaching style with more practice and students get early exposure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending