The Student Room Group

I am always tired or lethargic is there anyway to stop this?

I've been feeling like this for the past 2 years.
I'm always really tired and I always seem to crash in the afternoon and just want to sleep. I find the only thing that will energise me is exercise I go to the gym 3 times a week but it's only been once or twice for a while with the tiredness. But the days I don't go I am tired and lethargic.
I've already been tested for anemia and everything else like diabetes or thyroid etc.
I got told I was healthy and didn't have any of those.
I was thinking of possibly cutting wheat out of my diet and as I want to eat healthier anyway and see if that makes a difference to my energy levels.
Is this a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what are you eating at the moment and how long do you sleep for
Reply 2
Original post by jjaammster
what are you eating at the moment and how long do you sleep for

Generally I don't really eat much sweets or crisps only occasionally . I eat things like pasta,bread,cereal, processed food like pizza , chips, pies etc (I want to cut this out) potatoes, meat then veg like carrots , tomato, cucumber ,lettuce and some fruits but need to add more in. and try a wheat free diet and see if my energy levels are different and eat more healthily.

I sleep for 8hours nearly everyday and I never wake up during the night once I'm asleep.
Do you tend to have large meals?
Have you been tested for food intolerance e.g. coeliac disease?
Are you feeling low in yourself?
Are you getting a good enough sleep at night?
Maybe consider going back to your doctor. There could be an underlying health problem. 8 hours is generally plenty of sleep, even if you're the sort of person who needs a lot. You could try sleeping for 9, I guess, but I really would seek advice if it's so bad that it's affecting your lifestyle.
Reply 5
Omg I know EXACTLY how you feel. Although you said you've been feeling like this for 2 years, I've been having the same symptoms for about 5 months now. Recently this month it's been getting much worse but I haven't told anyone as I don't wanna worry them or bcos they'll just think I'm not getting enough sleep. Like you I feel lethargic and tired every single day, no matter if I get 11 or 5 hours of sleep. Can't concentrate, struggle to walk to college and even work which is like 8 min walk from my house, worried I might have diabetes, thyroid or something else. As a result I haven't been able to revise a great deal bcos I wanna knock out into next year every single time I sit down. After reading your post defo time to see my doc ahhhh!
Reply 6
Anyway I do think you should go back to see your GP surely they can do some other tests?? But I would have presumed anemia and diabetes as a core cause for this..
Lack of motivation? Find a new hobby. Wake up one morning, clear everything planned and go someplace new every so often (just make sure you have money to get home later - speaking from experience).
Reply 8
Original post by Wild_Precious_Life
Do you tend to have large meals?
Have you been tested for food intolerance e.g. coeliac disease?
Are you feeling low in yourself?
Are you getting a good enough sleep at night?

I have been low for a while I do sometimes sleep more than 8 sometimes 10.
I haven't gotten a food test and I always have a good sleep at night.
Reply 9
I dont know, ive been having around 10-11 hours sleep a day for the last two/three years and feel tired all the time as well and i spend a lot of time in bed, usually an hour when i wake and about three hours before i go to bed and feel tired and lethargic. then again, im completely depressed have anxiety and no motivation for anything what so ever.
Reply 10
I got tested last year I thought I was anemic but the doctor run other tests along with that to check everything but he just said I was healthy afterwards and that was that. And I just got back to the gym and felt energised and just assumed maybe it was because I weren't going to the gym. The tiredness does go after going but I'm just always drained in the afternoon that can't be normal and I just feel like sleeping and in the afternoon lectures it's hard to stay awake.

I don't want to go to the doctor again as I have the same symptoms as the last time and i feel like an idiot going and then just getting told I'm fine then it just makes me think maybe I'm just psychologically tired or something I know I should be happy that I'm told I'm healthy it's only because it just means I'm stuck with the symptoms still. And I hate blood tests. So I was thinking of just cutting out wheat as at lunch I would normally eat bread or cereal in the morning and they're supposed to make your insulin levels high. Maybe if I just try this for a month and see if it makes a difference and write a food diary.
Reply 11
And wheat is in so many foods that I eat and I would be eating them everyday
List of wheat foods http://www.3fatchicks.com/20-common-foods-containing-wheat/

And even if I'm not wheat intolerant I've heard people do feel more energised .
Reply 12
I've done loads of research and gluten or processed food might be the reason for tiredness.
Like I just have low energy all the time even if I don't do anything.
Reply 13
CHANGE YOUR DIET!!
I used to be tired all the time, I would get in from college and fall asleep u till tea time and I used to eat big breakfast and big lunch.
Then I changed to maybe 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and a tuna salad for lunch and I'm always awake and full of energy now them meat and veg for tea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
While exercising clearly uses up energy, it seems to actually, in the end, increase overall energy levels. So, a good way to combat lethargy is to force yourself to exercise, even if it's something small like a short walk, each day.
Reply 15
I do exercise but like I do in the afternoon at say 3 but before that if I have lectures I find it impossible to stay awake and my head would nearly be on the table. I assumed maybe everyone is like that and the lectures were just boring. I just can't concentrate easier. And my next semesters modules I have a day which it is 9-5 there is no way I'll be able to handle that long of a day if I'm so tired in the afternoon. I don't want to live on red bull or energy drinks.
I've noticed after checking this food diary thing my diet has basically been all carbs and very little fat or protein. So possibly it's either too much carbs or wheat thats making me tired? if it's not blood related.

I'm starting the gluten free diet tomorrow and that basically eliminates everything and I'm cutting out junk food anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
I've been feeling like this for the past 2 years.
I'm always really tired and I always seem to crash in the afternoon and just want to sleep. I find the only thing that will energise me is exercise I go to the gym 3 times a week but it's only been once or twice for a while with the tiredness. But the days I don't go I am tired and lethargic.
I've already been tested for anemia and everything else like diabetes or thyroid etc.
I got told I was healthy and didn't have any of those.
I was thinking of possibly cutting wheat out of my diet and as I want to eat healthier anyway and see if that makes a difference to my energy levels.
Is this a good idea?

have you checked your vitamin D levels?Had the same problem and it was due to vitamin D deficiency
Reply 17
Original post by anatolia3
have you checked your vitamin D levels?Had the same problem and it was due to vitamin D deficiency

Not sure but the doctor checked for all of the possible things like anemia I could have I know he tested about 5 different things and they call came back fine. And when he got the results . He just said blood pressure seemed a little high and did that again and then said if I'm tired go for a walk that it's normal to feel tired :s-smilie:. And I did ask if it was maybe allergy related he said it can't be.
It was a different doctor to my usual doctor. And I went another time but the usual doctor I had just gave me a asthma pump :s-smilie:.
Reply 18
Oh yeah I also feel the cold a lot and my hands are always cold.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure but the doctor checked for all of the possible things like anemia I could have I know he tested about 5 different things and they call came back fine. And when he got the results . He just said blood pressure seemed a little high and did that again and then said if I'm tired go for a walk that it's normal to feel tired :s-smilie:. And I did ask if it was maybe allergy related he said it can't be.
It was a different doctor to my usual doctor. And I went another time but the usual doctor I had just gave me a asthma pump :s-smilie:.

you can ask.I was feeling tired all the time and had terrible muscle nad back pains.

Quick Reply

Latest