The Student Room Group

How important is sandwich year?

I just want I just wanted to know how important a sandwich year is? does experience actually help you after you graduate?
Reason I ask is because I applied for two courses One is a mid ranked Uni that is offering a sandwich year as part of the course,the other is a higher ranked uni and is not offering a sandwich year as part of the course.
Because of this I'm not sure which to go for. Ultimately if the sandwich year is much more helpful I would go for it even though its lower ranked than the other. Else I would opt to go for the higher uni which does not offer a sandwich year.

What would u recommend?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

if you perform well in your sandwich year they company that you worked for a likely to offer you a job, if not a job a good reference, obviously a job is the more ideal, but a reference is also useful. That is the only real reason for having a sandwich year, to help aid the transition into work, if you are not to bothered about that, or have got good references already, it may not be for you
Reply 2
Original post by amberjenkins
if you perform well in your sandwich year they company that you worked for a likely to offer you a job, if not a job a good reference, obviously a job is the more ideal, but a reference is also useful. That is the only real reason for having a sandwich year, to help aid the transition into work, if you are not to bothered about that, or have got good references already, it may not be for you

Thanks for that... I don't have any references or experience so think might be useful.
What would you do? Would u take the sandwich year or take the higher uni

Reply 3
Getting a job in the current economic climate will be hard. Whether you get your degree from a high ranked Uni or a mid ranked Uni, will not matter in the eyes of an Employer. Experience is crucial when applying for a job so i would personally go for the Mid ranked Uni with Sandwich year.
Which unis are you considering? If the difference between them is not that great, than the Sandwich year is a good option, but it depends on how well you master the theoretical notions before starting your work experience, so being better, academically is also very important.
Reply 5
Sandwich years are good. You will find out what a job in your area is about. Lectures are pointless.
Reply 6
Original post by mujahid_e3
I just want I just wanted to know how important a sandwich year is? does experience actually help you after you graduate?
Reason I ask is because I applied for two courses One is a mid ranked Uni that is offering a sandwich year as part of the course,the other is a higher ranked uni and is not offering a sandwich year as part of the course.
Because of this I'm not sure which to go for. Ultimately if the sandwich year is much more helpful I would go for it even though its lower ranked than the other. Else I would opt to go for the higher uni which does not offer a sandwich year.

What would u recommend?

What unis have you applied for? And to study what?
Reply 7
Original post by Aklima(:
What unis have you applied for? And to study what?

The ones im considering are kings (high ranked) city (mid ranked with placement) studying computer science
Reply 8
Original post by sharp910sh
Sandwich years are good. You will find out what a job in your area is about. Lectures are pointless.

hmm im sure you will need the knowledge from lectures before you can go and work... So i take it you encourage taking the sandwich year
Reply 9
Original post by SakuraBlossom
Which unis are you considering? If the difference between them is not that great, than the Sandwich year is a good option, but it depends on how well you master the theoretical notions before starting your work experience, so being better, academically is also very important.

considering between kings London and city uni according to the league table there is big gap so thats why im confused on what to do? Even though people saying the experience is much more important
Reply 10
Original post by Enginerd.
Getting a job in the current economic climate will be hard. Whether you get your degree from a high ranked Uni or a mid ranked Uni, will not matter in the eyes of an Employer. Experience is crucial when applying for a job so i would personally go for the Mid ranked Uni with Sandwich year.

yeah your right about it being hard to find a job and the experience will count in that sense it's better to have the mid rank uni, but wouldnt people look down after a few years (when economy gets better) on the uni you went?
Reply 11
yeah your right about it being hard to find a job and the experience will count in that sense it's better to have the mid rank uni, but wouldnt people look down after a few years (when economy gets better) on the uni you went?

Of course not. No one 'looks down' on someone for not going to the best uni.
By then you'll probably have a job thanks to your industry experience anyway.
considering between kings London and city uni according to the league table there is big gap so thats why im confused on what to do? Even though people saying the experience is much more important

If you're worried about employment, I'd look at the university tables and sort the unis after the Computer Science and Prospects categories. I can't tell you how much that year in industry will help, but King's has higher prospects for employment. Not saying experience isn't important, but it's necessary to know all the facts before deciding.
Reply 13
hmm im sure you will need the knowledge from lectures before you can go and work... So i take it you encourage taking the sandwich year

Well you will be surprised dude. The real world and university are completely different.

Also you can go to the higher uni and take a placement year if you wish. Just postpone your studies for a year. No harm done. You will just have to notify the university. I have many friends who do this at other unis.

City is a good university, my friend is earning £25k on a placement year doing forensics science at one of the big four accountancy firms.

Experience is the only way you can get a job. My cv looks much better with my practical experience.
Reply 14
Original post by SakuraBlossom
If you're worried about employment, I'd look at the university tables and sort the unis after the Computer Science and Prospects categories. I can't tell you how much that year in industry will help, but King's has higher prospects for employment. Not saying experience isn't important, but it's necessary to know all the facts before deciding.

yh have sorted it out according to subject and kings is much higher and dont offer the experience. Thats why im slightly lost on what to go for
Reply 15
Original post by sharp910sh
Well you will be surprised dude. The real world and university are completely different.

Also you can go to the higher uni and take a placement year if you wish. Just postpone your studies for a year. No harm done. You will just have to notify the university. I have many friends who do this at other unis.

City is a good university, my friend is earning £25k on a placement year doing forensics science at one of the big four accountancy firms.

Experience is the only way you can get a job. My cv looks much better with my practical experience.

The higher uni dont provide the experience i phoned them and asked, they said once i graduate i can go an find myself a placement.. And true on what you said about real world and university.
Reply 16
Original post by Pinkhead
Of course not. No one 'looks down' on someone for not going to the best uni.
By then you'll probably have a job thanks to your industry experience anyway.

Hope that the experience will be much more beneficial if i go for it.
Reply 17
Free sandwiches for a year? Can't go wrong tbh.
Reply 18
The higher uni dont provide the experience i phoned them and asked, they said once i graduate i can go an find myself a placement.. And true on what you said about real world and university.

You could always just take a year out. It won't count towards your degree but it's still a year in industry. Lots of companies offer industrial placement programmes and you just need to apply for them and take an intercalated year at King's.

Alternatively, you could just go to KCL and and not do a placement year. A summer internship also gives you the chance of getting some experience and then receiving an offer for a graduate job after.
Reply 19
Original post by KPCN
You could always just take a year out. It won't count towards your degree but it's still a year in industry. Lots of companies offer industrial placement programmes and you just need to apply for them and take an intercalated year at King's.

Alternatively, you could just go to KCL and and not do a placement year. A summer internship also gives you the chance of getting some experience and then receiving an offer for a graduate job after.

yh good point but wouldnt a year long placement been more useful than a few months internship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending