The Student Room Group

I'd like a girlfriend. Never had one. I'm 19.

Hi! I'm 19.

Never in my life have I had a girlfriend. I like... love all of my mates, they're the funnest, caring, kindest people, but my best friend often brings his girlfriend along at Uni if we're working or wandering about. I don't mind it at all, but all i'll say, he isn't shy of kissing her loads in public haha.

I've never had a girlfriend. I look around and see couples, him doing that, and I just feel a bit low.

I've been told i'm good looking? but no-one seems interested, and I just feel too shy. I'd love to have someone where i'd run to get an hourly bus home to see someone like he does.

I'm 19 and although i think it's because i'm a bit shy around girls for some reason, I act a bit, well not childish, but silly? at times. I make people laugh but I think some times I just laugh about everything. There was an older couple on that 24 Hours in A&E programme. They said they laugh about everything. The man in it had to have a prosthetic leg. They were both laughing about it and saying "we named it... Stumpy". I'd love to be like that!

Also I look a bit younger than my age. I'm only 5'8" too which doesn't help, and Christmas 2010, I couldn't even buy happy gilmore on DVD in HMV :frown:

But I just feel a bit lonely really. My friends are great but i'd just like someone too. They've all got pictures on their phones background of them all smiling and happy together.

I can be serious but I just do laugh a lot.

Scroll to see replies

It's a numbers game, pal
Reply 2
Awww, don't worry about it. I've never had a proper boyfriend either, had a couple of 'almost' occasions but they never worked out and I'm really not bothered. It will all fall into place at the same time and you'll meet someone who you just know is perfect for you :smile:
Reply 3
Well you said yourself that people have told you that your good looking, which is always a positive. And I wouldn't change your personality at all, you sound really nice. I also laugh a lot.
You dont mention whether there is anyone that has caught your eye
Original post by heirloom
Well you said yourself that people have told you that your good looking, which is always a positive. And I wouldn't change your personality at all, you sound really nice. I also laugh a lot.
You dont mention whether there is anyone that has caught your eye

There is. From looks she seemed nice, but after I heard her talking to someone, she seemed a bit bossy and rude. Maybe not! :frown:

No one in particular at the moment :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by timmy-scott
There is. From looks she seemed nice, but after I heard her talking to someone, she seemed a bit bossy and rude. Maybe not! :frown:

No one in particular at the moment :frown:

Well just keep you eye out, there is no point it being in a relationship with someone you are not 100% sure about. Thats why I've never had a boyfriend, I'm 19 also. You just have to stay positive and be confident. I'm always drawn to confidence in a man, even if they are average in terms of looks
Well just keep you eye out, there is no point it being in a relationship with someone you are not 100% sure about. Thats why I've never had a boyfriend, I'm 19 also. You just have to stay positive and be confident. I'm always drawn to confidence in a man, even if they are average in terms of looks

I'd say i'm confident... just not with dating. Aha :frown:
Reply 7
I'd say i'm confident... just not with dating. Aha :frown:

I know people always say this but you have to fake it till you make it. I never used to be confident around boys but this year things changed. I got my first job so it forced me to talk to people that I didnt know and now I feel fine talking to new people and casual flirting. Its actually fun
I know people always say this but you have to fake it till you make it. I never used to be confident around boys but this year things changed. I got my first job so it forced me to talk to people that I didnt know and now I feel fine talking to new people and casual flirting. Its actually fun

That's what got my more confident! Talking to people in my first job which I got last year :smile:

I think I get worried about rejection. When I shouldn't!
Reply 9
That's what got my more confident! Talking to people in my first job which I got last year :smile:

What area do you work in?

Customer services?
Reply 10

Yeah just stop worrying and go with the flow, honestly when it comes to me and all of my girl friends we are drawn to confidence like a moth to a flame
Reply 11
Hi! I'm 19.

Never in my life have I had a girlfriend. I like... love all of my mates, they're the funnest, caring, kindest people, but my best friend often brings his girlfriend along at Uni if we're working or wandering about. I don't mind it at all, but all i'll say, he isn't shy of kissing her loads in public haha.

I've never had a girlfriend. I look around and see couples, him doing that, and I just feel a bit low.

I've been told i'm good looking? but no-one seems interested, and I just feel too shy. I'd love to have someone where i'd run to get an hourly bus home to see someone like he does.

I'm 19 and although i think it's because i'm a bit shy around girls for some reason, I act a bit, well not childish, but silly? at times. I make people laugh but I think some times I just laugh about everything. There was an older couple on that 24 Hours in A&E programme. They said they laugh about everything. The man in it had to have a prosthetic leg. They were both laughing about it and saying "we named it... Stumpy". I'd love to be like that!

Also I look a bit younger than my age. I'm only 5'8" too which doesn't help, and Christmas 2010, I couldn't even buy happy gilmore on DVD in HMV :frown:

But I just feel a bit lonely really. My friends are great but i'd just like someone too. They've all got pictures on their phones background of them all smiling and happy together.

I can be serious but I just do laugh a lot.

I haven't had one either (I'm 19 too) - but I've seen so many people in relationships break up so messily

Because to be honest it's highly unlikely for a relationship to last at this age tbh- unless you get married

I say that cause I don't want the hassle of investing in a relationship and seeing it all wasted lol -seeing how it affected my friends has made me wary and picky!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
It's a numbers game, pal

Yeah, like give loads of girls your number.
Reply 13
You sound like me. I'm the same height, and felt the same. I got a girlfriend though, and the relationship lasted for more than a year. I'll tell the truth, it was good at the start. But really, she didn't really suit me to be honest. If I knew her as a friend I probably wouldn't be friends with her due to a lack of common interests, so this led to generally a lack of interest at the end. She was/is a nice person to talk to, just I don't have much particularly in common with her.

The lesson here is don't just get anyone so you can have a girlfriend. Make sure it's someone you would actually like if she didn't have the prospect of being your girlfriend! Just ask yourself: could you be friends with her if she wasn't your girlfriend?
Reply 14
Ive been in same position as this guy, same height, girls have complimented on me being good looking all that bs decent dress sense etc and yet nothing. I went out one night looking like crap, met this amazing girl and haven't looked back and that was not until I was 21. so dont worry, only worry if you start getting older than 21 lol.

I know how you feel, you see all these couples etc, I no the pain most guys do. Girls should think themselves lucky, they can stay focused do there work like good girls as they dont have high levels of testosterone to deal with, us guys are constantly fighting against nature. fight the power! sorry public enemy was in my head.
Reply 15
Ignore what these people say, oh your short your fat etc. Just be yourself im 5 "7/8" im far from being a ripped meat head and ive done ok, atleast your not a midget, and yes i have my share of missed opps. Girls these days(not all) through the media like magazines and programs like the only way is essex are expecting you to be 6ft + huge muscles the perfect dress sense, its a joke! If they dont like you for who you are there not worth being with.

Ok if your dress sense is a little bad, she will know that can be fixed, ok if you have a ugly face, then try become a meat head. Also its supply and demand you know like financial analysis, the ratio Male:Female is normally always in the females favour, so explore un-tapped resource for example: I like to ice skate and ive met girls through that, more girls more chance, less competition from guys who just spend time in the gym and shopping at All Saints etc. I could do a final year project on this bs so ill stop.

be yourself, take the half chances, get eye contact with girls, prepare for rejection because there will be and just as one guy said it is a numbers game. I tell ya ive seized some opportunities before and even though it ended up going sour, I gave myself a pat on the back for moving in quick. Dont leave it too long, girls always have guys snooping, especially the good looking ones.
Reply 16
You shouldn't feel pressurized into having a girlfriend.

I am 23 and have never had a girlfriend, but I do not let people mock me or pressurize me into it. There is no shame in maintaining your independence from women if you so please.
Reply 17
Original post by tr1101
Ive been in same position as this guy, same height, girls have complimented on me being good looking all that bs decent dress sense etc and yet nothing. I went out one night looking like crap, met this amazing girl and haven't looked back and that was not until I was 21. so dont worry, only worry if you start getting older than 21 lol.

I know how you feel, you see all these couples etc, I no the pain most guys do. Girls should think themselves lucky, they can stay focused do there work like good girls as they dont have high levels of testosterone to deal with, us guys are constantly fighting against nature. fight the power! sorry public enemy was in my head.

Speak for yourself. There are significant numbers of men who do not feel the need to be pressurized into having a girlfriend since for many (particularly those who work long hours, or who work internationally) it is not beneficial and not practical
Reply 18
Perhaps you lack testosterone.
You have to be pro active- that is, talk to people. Just go over, on your own, and say "hi, are you alright?". The goal is to build your confidence, not to get laid or get a girlfriend, so don't worry about the outcome. Rejection is a horrible feeling, but that fear is something you have to overcome. It can be easiest talking to girls you don't even fancy at first.

Latest

Trending

Trending