The Student Room Group

Subject suggestions???

Hey so I'm in year 13 and unfortunately i've got no offers for Medicine.

I'm taking a gap year and am gonna try again, but if it doesnt work out second time around then i guess i'm gonna have to move on and try something else.

So i'm asking for suggestions for possible Degrees to study?

Im currently doing A2-level Chem, Bio and Maths, and dropped my AS in Economics

I'm confident in getting AAAb and with a streeetch poossssibly maybe an A* in Bio

Mainly im looking for something with a high employment rate, with a good chance of me gettin a career with a good salary potential

I was thinking Chemical Engineering? The other Engineering types interest me, but my lack of Physics makes it hard.

Law interests me, but it doesnt seem to have the job guaranteee engineering has unless u get into Oxbridge, LSE etc. which is out my reach i think.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
A lil bump
Reply 2
I urge you not to reapply for Medicine. You will almost definitely be disappointed and find that it was a waste of time. But if you really want to, go for it. That's just my opinion, forged from the experience of those I know.

My friend Ezra applied for Medicine last year, at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. He had high expectations, and unfortunately didn't get in anywhere. He applied for his insurance of Biomedical Science at Warwick, and they rejected him as soon as they received his application, because he was applying for medicine, so they weren't going to consider him for biomed. While he was rejected, he put it down to his weak BMAT score. He earned A*A*A*A* at A level, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
This year, he applied for Mathematics instead, applying to the same universities, but Oxford instead of Cambridge, and Glasgow instead of his second Warwick option. He received all his offers. He is so much more satisfied now, having a full set of offers from amazing universities, for a course he has now realised he really wants to do.

So I would urge you to seek something other than medicine. Not getting into a medical school is NOT the be all and end all.

I would also advise against Chemical Engineering, and consider something more directly linked to medicine (if that's the field you ultimately wish to work in)
Examples of courses include:
Pharmacy
Pharmacology
Biomedical Science
Medical Physics

I hope this helps somewhat
Law is extremely competitive and frankly there's way too many graduates and too little positions; finding work after qualifying as a solicitor/barrister is another difficulty, let alone getting the funding to train up and get experience behind you! That said, it's pretty much the same for most degrees nowadays, I do psychology so the market is equally, if not more highly saturated in that field.

If you don't get into medicine the second time round, you could always go for biochemistry/biomedical science or a related area to this? Research positions and jobs in that area are supposed to be quite high in demand as with other STEM subjects, but you'll have to do some research into the different degrees and whether or not they would suit you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chapmouse
I urge you not to reapply for Medicine. You will almost definitely be disappointed and find that it was a waste of time. But if you really want to, go for it. That's just my opinion, forged from the experience of those I know.

My friend Ezra applied for Medicine last year, at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. He had high expectations, and unfortunately didn't get in anywhere. He applied for his insurance of Biomedical Science at Warwick, and they rejected him as soon as they received his application, because he was applying for medicine, so they weren't going to consider him for biomed. While he was rejected, he put it down to his weak BMAT score. He earned A*A*A*A* at A level, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
This year, he applied for Mathematics instead, applying to the same universities, but Oxford instead of Cambridge, and Glasgow instead of his second Warwick option. He received all his offers. He is so much more satisfied now, having a full set of offers from amazing universities, for a course he has now realised he really wants to do.

So I would urge you to seek something other than medicine. Not getting into a medical school is NOT the be all and end all.

I would also advise against Chemical Engineering, and consider something more directly linked to medicine (if that's the field you ultimately wish to work in)
Examples of courses include:
Pharmacy
Pharmacology
Biomedical Science
Medical Physics

I hope this helps somewhat

Thanks for the advice, to be honest the only career in a medical field that i would want to do is to be a doctor, the other careers , such as biomed dnt really appeal to me.

If its not medicine then i wanna go into a different field
Reply 5
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Law is extremely competitive and frankly there's way too many graduates and too little positions; finding work after qualifying as a solicitor/barrister is another difficulty, let alone getting the funding to train up and get experience behind you! That said, it's pretty much the same for most degrees nowadays, I do psychology so the market is equally, if not more highly saturated in that field.

If you don't get into medicine the second time round, you could always go for biochemistry/biomedical science or a related area to this? Research positions and jobs in that area are supposed to be quite high in demand as with other STEM subjects, but you'll have to do some research into the different degrees and whether or not they would suit you.

Yhh i know Law isnt the best option. I was thinking Chem Eng, and just now i stumbled across patent law, which requires Science/engineering backgrounds which looks interesting
Reply 6
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Thanks for the advice, to be honest the only career in a medical field that i would want to do is to be a doctor, the other careers , such as biomed dnt really appeal to me.

If its not medicine then i wanna go into a different field

Contrary to previous advice given, I would say reapply for Medicine if your heart is really set on it. You would be joining many many other reapplicants, and you can make your application stronger through gaining the right work experience, and working on the admissions tests, which you have now done once already. Someone from my school actually applied 3 times before getting an offer!
Reply 7
Original post by Mathaddict
Contrary to previous advice given, I would say reapply for Medicine if your heart is really set on it. You would be joining many many other reapplicants, and you can make your application stronger through gaining the right work experience, and working on the admissions tests, which you have now done once already. Someone from my school actually applied 3 times before getting an offer!

Yhhh thats my plan, i kno i have to try again once atleast, but my 5th option is going to be something different for if i dnt get medicine, or i'll get summink through clearing/extra

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending