The Student Room Group

Will my grades get me into a good university such as Oxbridge?

Hi, I'm a GCSE student, and I was wondering that if what I get in my GCSE's would matter if I could get into a good university? For example, I like Oxbridge or the university of London, and in my GCSE's, I've predicted I would get;
5 A*'s, 1 A and 5 B's OR 4 A*'s, 1 A and 6 B's.

The 2 A*'s would come from a Double Business BTEC course I am doing, and the 3rd would come from an ICT GCSE which has no exams, its an OCR qualification.

Basically, I really messed up my first year of GCSE's so I won't do as good as I expected to, you know like mostly A's and like 3 B's etc.

But in my A-levels, I expect to do good, like get all A's. In my school we do this essay thing for an AS grade, plus 4 A-levels. However, I am also thinking of doing an applied A-level to boost my UCAS points up.

So considering my GCSE grades, and IF i get the A-level grades I wish to, do you think I could get into a good university in the UK?

My main concern is, if my GCSE grades will matter a lot in if I get to go to a uni, thank you for reading and if you answer!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Oxford looks closely at your GCSE's so you will struggle. Cambridge focuses more on your AS results and how high your actual marks are. The University of London is made up of different institutions, each of which has its own admissions standards.
Reply 2
They aren't all that bad, but if you mess up your GCSEs then strong AS performance will outweigh the weak GCSEs (except medicine.)
Your grades would be on the weaker end of the spectrum for Oxbridge - particularly Oxford, which places more weight on GCSEs (Cambridge are interested in UMS %), historically.

However, average GCSEs grades show correlations more than relationships, in my view. You will find that a higher proportion of excellent student that get into Oxbridge HAPPEN to have excellent GCSEs, but the excellent GCSEs are not what makes the student excellent, if you catch my drift?

You will need to compensate for those grades at A-level, you will have to perform brilliantly in an interview and have a stellar personal statement and reference, but you can still manage.

Saying that, remember that Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all of academic achievement. Their prestige is certainly rivaled and arguably surpassed by other institutions in some areas, and other strong RG universities are largely similar in any respects.
Reply 4
You also mentioned London universities. Depending on your course, UCL or Imperial could rival oxbridge.

I think you need to get a great p/s, reference, do great things to show drive and personal ambition, on top of getting GOOD a/s results, and acing entrance exams.

Your GCSE'S are good, maybe average for top institutions though. However, it's all still in your hands.

Oxford = more weight on gcse's

Cambridge = ums

UCL / Imperial = mixed.

(for medicine)
Reply 5
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Your grades would be on the weaker end of the spectrum for Oxbridge - particularly Oxford, which places more weight on GCSEs (Cambridge are interested in UMS %), historically.

However, average GCSEs grades show correlations more than relationships, in my view. You will find that a higher proportion of excellent student that get into Oxbridge HAPPEN to have excellent GCSEs, but the excellent GCSEs are not what makes the student excellent, if you catch my drift?

You will need to compensate for those grades at A-level, you will have to perform brilliantly in an interview and have a stellar personal statement and reference, but you can still manage.

Saying that, remember that Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all of academic achievement. Their prestige is certainly rivaled and arguably surpassed by other institutions in some areas, and other strong RG universities are largely similar in any respects.

thank you for your help:smile: i guess it also depends on what course you are doing, and i'm looking more towards the maths/economics side. Oxbridge was just an example. Could you please give me your view on my chances at well known universities such as, london school of economics, exeter, ucl, kings college london, warick etc.
Reply 6
in my opinion, if you get good as/a level grades then gcses arent as important. just concentrate on working really hard for your a levels and doing the best that you can! also try to do taster courses/RELEVANT work experience which will look really good on your personal statement! a*s, as and bs are all really good gcse grades so don't worry!
Reply 7
Does an individual with a C, 6 Bs, 4 As an A* but straight As in a-level with great work experience shadowing barristers at London, mock trial etc have any chance in getting into Oxford?
-Amrit
Reply 8
Original post by rjrehman97
thank you for your help:smile: i guess it also depends on what course you are doing, and i'm looking more towards the maths/economics side. Oxbridge was just an example. Could you please give me your view on my chances at well known universities such as, london school of economics, exeter, ucl, kings college london, warick etc.

Erm I had 3A's, 4C's and around 6B's and received offers from Russell Groups such as Exeter for law. Gcse's aren't the be all and end all, AS results are way more important. even then you can redo the year, resit, gap years etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm a GCSE student, and I was wondering that if what I get in my GCSE's would matter if I could get into a good university? For example, I like Oxbridge or the university of London, and in my GCSE's, I've predicted I would get;

The 2 A*'s would come from a Double Business BTEC course I am doing, and the 3rd would come from an ICT GCSE which has no exams, its an OCR qualification.

Basically, I really messed up my first year of GCSE's so I won't do as good as I expected to, you know like mostly A's and like 3 B's etc.

But in my A-levels, I expect to do good, like get all A's. In my school we do this essay thing for an AS grade, plus 4 A-levels. However, I am also thinking of doing an applied A-level to boost my UCAS points up.

So considering my GCSE grades, and IF i get the A-level grades I wish to, do you think I could get into a good university in the UK?

My main concern is, if my GCSE grades will matter a lot in if I get to go to a uni, thank you for reading and if you answer!:smile:

Oxford and some Medicine courses - no.
Other top-unis and courses, yes.
Original post by 212575
Does an individual with a C, 6 Bs, 4 As an A* but straight As in a-level with great work experience shadowing barristers at London, mock trial etc have any chance in getting into Oxford?
-Amrit

No, they don't care about work experience or ECs at all.
At Oxford, your chances are very slim. Unless you had problems at school such as illness or some other disadvantage. Oxford applicants will have straight As at AS-level and 6-7 A*s minimum. Law is very competitive.

Cambridge, if you get 95%+ in UMS at AS, you might have a chance if you get an interview and perform very well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by amineamine2
No, they don't care about work experience or ECs at all.
At Oxford, your chances are very slim. Unless you had problems at school such as illness or some other disadvantage. Oxford applicants will have straight As at AS-level and 6-7 A*s minimum. Law is very competitive.

Cambridge, if you get 95%+ in UMS at AS, you might have a chance if you get an interview and perform very well.

Okaay just wanted to see...thanks very much :smile:
What unis would you recommend for me?
Original post by 212575
Okaay just wanted to see...thanks very much :smile:
What unis would you recommend for me?

If you do get very high UMS then Cambridge?
If not, strong AS and a really good personal statement and LNAT score for the LNAT asking unis then many top unis are open for you. Redbricks, Nottingham, Exeter, maybeee Warwick as they aren't too fussed about GCSEs. LSE are a bit harsh on GCSEs for Law and I suspect UCL is too.
Reply 13
If you do get very high UMS then Cambridge?
If not, strong AS and a really good personal statement and LNAT score for the LNAT asking unis then many top unis are open for you. Redbricks, Nottingham, Exeter, maybeee Warwick as they aren't too fussed about GCSEs. LSE are a bit harsh on GCSEs for Law and I suspect UCL is too.

Okay thats great thanks for helping me out :biggrin: I appreciate it...one last question if I dont do so well in my a-levels and get something like BBB are unis like BPP and uni of hertfordshire good? will law firms in London still take me on aslong as I achieve a 1st or a 2:1 even if I dont go to the best uni?
Original post by 212575
Okay thats great thanks for helping me out :biggrin: I appreciate it...one last question if I dont do so well in my a-levels and get something like BBB are unis like BPP and uni of hertfordshire good? will law firms in London still take me on aslong as I achieve a 1st or a 2:1 even if I dont go to the best uni?

with Bs at AS you could still work hard at A2 to get AAA and apply to good unis. BBP/Hert are ok but city firms usually go for top uni graduates.
If you don't do as well at AS why dont you apply for something like politics at a good uni (LSE, Warwick etc) and do a law conversion? Do you know what that is?
You're welcome :smile:
Reply 15
If your A*'s at GCSE are only in BTEC subjects and the rest of your subject grades are B's then I'm not really sure you could - it all depends on your A level UMS scores though.
I can't really give you a straight answer on this. I applied to Oxford with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB at GCSE (the A and B were in General Studies and Music respectively, so I did well in the core subjects), got AAAAA at AS, and am predicted A*A*A*A*A at A2, with an additional A in AS Further Maths, which I picked up this year. However, I had to do an admission test for Oxford, messed it up, and didn't even get an interview! I know others that did different admissions tests at Oxford for other subjects, and got in with much lower GCSE and AS results. So just go for it if you want to go there, because grades aren't everything (I'm not sure about Cambridge though...)
Reply 17
with Bs at AS you could still work hard at A2 to get AAA and apply to good unis. BBP/Hert are ok but city firms usually go for top uni graduates.
If you don't do as well at AS why dont you apply for something like politics at a good uni (LSE, Warwick etc) and do a law conversion? Do you know what that is?
You're welcome :smile:

Yeah I have heard of conversion courses...will definitely consider when applying to university!
And again thanks for the great advice...always great to get a second opinion :smile:
Best wishes Amrit.
Reply 18

For Oxford your GCSE's will matter, but Cambridge count your UMS score. The double BTEC you have will give you a Distinction, not an A*, same goes with your ICT ( I do the same qualifiation)
Reply 19
Original post by Haque95
If your A*'s at GCSE are only in BTEC subjects and the rest of your subject grades are B's then I'm not really sure you could - it all depends on your A level UMS scores though.

haha thanks for your help:smile: and no its not just BTEC. The ICT course doesn't stand for BTEC as most schools do it, its just business studies:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending