The Student Room Group

Is Law at uni a jump into the dark?

Hi everyone,
I currently take A2 Maths (year early), AS History, AS Physics and AS Economics. I am now looking around at universities, and the two courses I am really interested in are Economics and Law (And a combining course in a select few universities). I was wondering, if anyone who takes Law could tell me what it enrolls, what they took at A levels, and whether based on what I take whether I would make it in the course or find it too hard.
Cheers
Simsy
Original post by Simsy96
Hi everyone,
I currently take A2 Maths (year early), AS History, AS Physics and AS Economics. I am now looking around at universities, and the two courses I am really interested in are Economics and Law (And a combining course in a select few universities). I was wondering, if anyone who takes Law could tell me what it enrolls, what they took at A levels, and whether based on what I take whether I would make it in the course or find it too hard.
Cheers
Simsy

Hiya, I am doing Law at university. I did an Access to HE course which involved History, Psychology, Sociology, IT, English and Maths and A Level equivalent.

With Law it's the kind of subject you really need to enjoy doing. If you want to be a solicitor or barrister you have to sit seven compulsory modules, which are quite different from each other. Some of them have lots of concepts and can be a total bore. So if you aren't committed to a career in Law, or to completing your degree etc you could run in to some problems, as it's easy to slack and once you do, it's pretty hard to get back on track. It does involve a LOT of reading too.

With all that said, if you can find interesting points in each module etc you'll be fine. Also if you're able to read something a few times and memorise it and regurgitate it in an examination you'll also be fine. If you can get in to mooting etc you'll find you enjoy the lectures more as it gives studying that practical element. I really enjoy studying Law and find it fascinating.

If you're into history, you'll enjoy Law, as Law involves quite a bit of history, in the respect of old laws and how the law has evolved and such. The A Levels you have chosen seem to be a good fit for Law - especially the history A Level.

I hope this has helped!
Well i know most of the people in my flat here do Law and never come out of their rooms. This other guy I talk to is switching to Law and philosophy because he found Law too intense. Lol.
If you want to find out more about the woes of being a student then check out http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/eyesofimi/
Law is very 'reading heavy' as a University subject. For some people that is great, for others really hard work. Also be aware that a combined degree will not qualify you for working in the Law as an appropriate single subject LLB Law degree would.

Lots of useful info at : http://studyinglaw.co.uk/law-at-university/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending