The Student Room Group

Trouble while choosing "firm" choice

Good evening,

My name is Luke, currently a student from Lithuania. I am having trouble choosing my "firm" (and,consequently, "insurance")choice and therefore I would like to hear your opinions/facts or any other kind of information that could help me make up my mind. Here are the approximate predictions for my exams which might help when choosing the university: 95+(English)/90+(Maths)/80+(Native language). Universities, courses and chances of me fulfilling the offer:

1. University of Exeter, Economics and Finance(LN13). This may be my insurance choice because I will fulfill the conditions without a doubt. Yet I am unsure which is relatively better, for example Exeter or York (having in mind my specific course) therefore I am unable to make this decision.
2. University of York, Economics and Finance (L112). In order to join, I must pass 3 exams each more than 85%(out of 100%) which is a quite decent requirement, I believe that I might fulfill it.
3. University of Glasgow, Economics/Business&Management (LN12). I must achieve 90% in all 3 of my exams which is quite hard having in mind my predictions.
4. University of St. Andrews, Financial Economics (L161). Yes, the offer is far far away from my reach (average 95% in all exams) but I still include this uni into the list just to hear your thoughts - maybe you'll convince me to take the risk and make this my firm choice .

I am truly desperate regarding this matter.
:s-smilie: Therefore I would appreciate your extensive and opinionated answers.:colondollar:

Thanks in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ldarguzas
Good evening,

My name is Luke, currently a student from Lithuania. I am having trouble choosing my "firm" (and,consequently, "insurance")choice and therefore I would like to hear your opinions/facts or any other kind of information that could help me make up my mind. Here are the approximate predictions for my exams which might help when choosing the university: 95+(English)/90+(Maths)/80+(Native language). Universities, courses and chances of me fulfilling the offer:

1. University of Exeter, Economics and Finance(LN13). This may be my insurance choice because I will fulfill the conditions without a doubt. Yet I am unsure which is relatively better, for example Exeter or York (having in mind my specific course) therefore I am unable to make this decision.
2. University of York, Economics and Finance (L112). In order to join, I must pass 3 exams each more than 85%(out of 100%) which is a quite decent requirement, I believe that I might fulfill it.
3. University of Glasgow, Economics/Business&Management (LN12). I must achieve 90% in all 3 of my exams which is quite hard having in mind my predictions.
4. University of St. Andrews, Financial Economics (L161). Yes, the offer is far far away from my reach (average 95% in all exams) but I still include this uni into the list just to hear your thoughts - maybe you'll convince me to take the risk and make this my firm choice .

I am truly desperate regarding this matter.
:s-smilie: Therefore I would appreciate your extensive and opinionated answers.:colondollar:

Thanks in advance!

Okay, first I would advise you to research the cities that the universities are in and see if you would be happy living there. All four of those cities are very different and as you will be moving to them you should factor this in. Research the modules on each of the courses and see which ones you prefer. This will also help you make your decision.

There is little difference between Exeter and York in terms of how good the unis are.
Reply 2
I shall try that, thank you. What about the universities themselves? Which one is the best (not having in mind St.Andrews) from my list? Which one you would choose last? I'm having trouble sorting them by how good they are in academic terms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending