The Student Room Group

Have you ever been insulted about your looks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x-Sophie-x
My eyes used to change colour a lot when I was younger (now not so much), so kids used to say I looked 'abnormal' and that I was 'weird and belonged on another planet'. It was pretty horrible as a child, because at that time I didn't know any better than to listen to them.

Some people out there can be pretty cruel! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda sounds cool tbh. I'd love to have that but I'm stuck with boring brown eyes.
When I was at school, I used to have acne in Year 8 and Year 9. I remember once that some guy in my class shouted out at me during a silent moment (where everyone could see and hear him)...."IKB, don't you wash!!!???!!!1"

I could have died in that moment. I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

Fortunately my acne cleared up in Year 10, and have been sleeping around ever since. :wink:
My cousin likes to often bring up that my nose is big and that it has a "ball" on the end of it. I've been made fun of for being skinny for many years, and been called anorexic, like a boy, lanky, a stick etc. But the worst was when my uncle exclaimed at a big family gathering "wow, look at you! I know you've always been skinny but you've got even worse, you need to eat more." Also I remember someone commenting on a photo of me on facebook and saying I looked bulimic, and again needed to eat something. That was a friend, who was "fraped". How it's 'acceptable' in society to say these things to someone, when you'd NEVER be able to say that to someone who was fat, I'll never understand.

Since then, I've stopped exercising, force fed myself and put on more weight, I've been told that I look healthier. It's annoying because I never had an eating problem but I now care and obsess over my weight and measurements. It's damaged my confidence and self-worth and it will take a lot for me to stop looking in the mirror and believing that there's something wrong with me and that my body is ugly.
Three brothers and going to a childminder from age 7 to 11 makes the answer an unquestionable yes. A few times stick out, one of the most embarrassing was on the bus home from school. I was 12 and my brother's (they were 16/17) friend was dared for MANPOINTS to come and kiss me (I didn't realise) so the group was cackling at the back of the bus as the boy shuffled up beside me making gagging noises, leaning in and muttering insults under his breath. I was confused as to what was going on. He gave up and a different boy came up and did it instead. Completely mortified, they were all heckling, peeing themselves with laughter and he walked away calling me fat/gross/ugly. Similarly, I overheard a girl insulting my nose in the lunch queue and when the group realised I was standing right there I swear I melted into the ground in complete humiliation.

In the past I suffered some anxiety and disordered eating and I think my brother feels some guilt for the comments about my weight (I went through a puppy fat phase before puberty) and found my sudden weightloss quite upsetting. When I was at my lowest weight, I walked in on some 30-40 year old ladies in the changing room at the gym talking about me and how sick I looked. A woman also told me I looked painfully -said with such emphasis- thin and a wrinkled nose for added conviction. I already hated myself so much, I really didn't care.
Physical appearance... pfft.

Would it be wrong to suggest that good looks are entirely dependent on health? We all have the potential to be healthy, right? People talk about genetics and that but I'm not so sure, I don't think I've seen an optimally healthy person who I don't consider to be extremely attractive, in the grand scheme of things. I guess that's just me.

Regardless, health certainly becomes a much bigger influence in physical attractiveness as you get older - so my message to any young "ugly" people out there, just look after your health and your time will come!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mindgames7
Physical appearance... pfft.

Would it be wrong to suggest that good looks are entirely dependent on health? We all have the potential to be healthy, right? People talk about genetics and that but I'm not so sure, I don't think I've seen an optimally healthy person who I don't consider to be extremely attractive, in the grand scheme of things. I guess that's just me.

Regardless, health certainly becomes a much bigger influence in physical attractiveness as you get older - so my message to any young "ugly" people out there, just look after your health and your time will come!

Yes it would be completely and utterly wrong. So many illnesses are hereditary, skin conditions and deformities for example directly impact someone's deemed attractiveness and can cause insults based on looks. Noses are hereditary, and one of the most common features to be insulted. And that's ignoring those in accidents such as burn victims.

Also, health means something different for EVERYONE. Do you know how many people on the planet are living with a chronic condition? A lifelong illness which may/may not be medicated. Does that make them ugly?

Health as the decider of attractiveness is a) discriminatory and b) ignores the vast number of cases when someone has no control over their appearance and gets bullied because of it.
Reply 166
Original post by Captain Haddock
I have hair down to the small of my back. It's been a while since I've been told to get a haircut but I get the occasional obligatory 'Jesus' remark and girls being all 'omg how long have you been growing your hair what products do you use do you straighten it can I plait it my hair will never be that long I wish I could have hair like yours.'

Spoiler

Jokes on them, they can't tell my hairline's receding.

Jesus was awesome so I'd take that as a compliment.

OP: When I had long hair (clean shaven), I was sitting silently with my father in a doctor's office when a middle aged woman asked him "is this your daughter?"

Not cool. She obviously didn't do it to hurt my feelings though.
Reply 167
Original post by Anonymous
Been insulted about looks pretty much all my life , its hard to deal with knowing that the odds are no one will ever find you attractive and wherever you go people are probably thinking what an ugly guy he is , but Ive reached a point where Ive just stopped caring , was majorly depressed from about 11-16 though , would come home and just play video games / watch tv shows (until I had to sleep)to drown out all the insults that I would get and stop brooding about how hideous I am . I don't know what I would do without my current friends , might have attempted something.

Throughout the late stages of primary school and most of secondary school I was picked on because I have a abnormally large and funny shaped head , its not something you can cover up . I also have a large bulbous nose , fat thick lips , bulgy out eyes . But basically people would often just make me feel so **** and low by insulting me whenever they saw fit to . Whenever I got into arguments with people and things got personal , they would always bring up my aesthetic and it just crushed my confidence.

Girls ive liked have told me pretty nasty things also

Wow. Who can take on a man who has gone through so much?

Don't you see? You need to channel this negativity - the negativity of those who ruthlessly have put you down and use it to improve yourself.

Focus firstly on what you can change:

> Get into a body-building work out routine.
> Get good facial skin, use creams, Bio-oil ect
> Grow out your hair and experiment with hair-styles
> Facial hair can truly help as well, experiment with styles till you find one that suits you

The poem "If" By Kipling speaks volumes for this. I will paraphrase a line.

If you can rebuild your life with worn-out tools, and never breath a word about your loss.

Like i said, a man like you must have drive. Must in the sense you have gone through hell. You have the chance to live a truly exciting life mate. A life where you beat all the odds through concentration and utter self-improvement.

So off you go. Be patient, and when you come out of this, boy oh boy, will they eat their words. Will they curse themselves for what they have said to you.

You define yourself. History needs to remember you. You will write your own praises. And no-one has a right to tell you who you are.

How do i know any of this?

I've been to a similar hell and i garuentee you, either i die , or i claw out of hell , lie on the ground, exhausted physically, but mentally so vibrant, so fresh, exhilerated by my self determination and sacrifice to tell even nature "You may put me off to a bad start, my own sentient human beings may be ruthless, but i had the strength to beat all of you. Thanks to you, i realised my true strength"

While they talk, you work

While they mock, you smile

Beat them as a human being with virtues in the inside, and physically on the outside to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odRFaz4HblQ
(edited 11 years ago)
My height, Im 4'9 and as Im a size 6 petite its emphasised even more
Also, my hairs quite thin and fine :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In secondary school, for being dark skin, by other black people would you believe.

But I'm beautiful now and swim in pussy, so I'm over it.
Original post by JinxedOut
Yes it would be completely and utterly wrong. So many illnesses are hereditary, skin conditions and deformities for example directly impact someone's deemed attractiveness and can cause insults based on looks. Noses are hereditary, and one of the most common features to be insulted. And that's ignoring those in accidents such as burn victims.

Also, health means something different for EVERYONE. Do you know how many people on the planet are living with a chronic condition? A lifelong illness which may/may not be medicated. Does that make them ugly?

Health as the decider of attractiveness is a) discriminatory and b) ignores the vast number of cases when someone has no control over their appearance and gets bullied because of it.

Couldn't agree more :rolleyes:

Reading the comments on here makes me sad. People shouldn't be made to feel this way & no one should feel that they have to post anonymously 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
Many times
Reply 172
Yeah all the time but not anymore. Some girl that I still hate to this day told me I was fat for like 5 years when I really wasn't but I just chose to ignore her, I said I maybe fat but you'll always be hideous to look at.
When I was 13ish, this group of boys at school said I looked like a man. Got so bad I literally had NO confidence for years. I believed it in the end and never wanted to try to look pretty, I thought well there's no point because I'm so ugly....I got older and I believed that no guy would EVER want to go out with me because I truly believed I looked like a man. I felt like I wasn't a proper female. I had councelling and went on anti-depressants for it.

It took me years to get over it, I still feel a little insecure now although I am considered attractive by some people (apparently). I can never talk about it to people , it's too painful
Original post by Manitude
I experience all of this! I'm coming up to 5 years without trimming this july, but it's been growing for more like 6 for me. Mine ends just below the small of my back - touches the top of my jeans. My hair's also thinning at the front, I sometimes wear a hat to conceal it when it bothers me.
It's got a point where it looks epic when headbanging, but I can't headbang properly because the weight of my hair is so much :rolleyes:
A couple of years ago I used to get a sore neck after a night out, now I get a sore back/abs instead because I have to commit my entire torso to rocking out. Like this, in fact:

Spoiler

I just wanted to say,I love your hair! Although I'm a sucker for long haired rock/metal guys so I'm biased :wink:
I've had many put downs and comments on myself since I was 5, won't detail what, it varies. Not so much nowadays and I try to be positive, but my confidence is pretty much shattered.
Original post by OddThings
I just wanted to say,I love your hair! Although I'm a sucker for long haired rock/metal guys so I'm biased :wink:

Thanks I guess :colondollar:
People often mistake me for a ten year old. Happened again yesterday. I'm 18 and 5ft 3 which isn't THAT short, but for some reason I look like a small child :c
Original post by civilstudent
Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.

I've often been described as resembling Penguin Man. I've been compared to all sorts of beastly mammals in my time too.
Original post by CD2112
Your name is Killer Whale?

No, that's what the bullies used to call me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending