The Student Room Group

My chemistry tutor added me on facebook

Scroll to see replies

You're lucky, I wish my chemistry tutor added me on facebook. I seriously would be badgering him about chemistry ALL the freaking time.

If you're young, let your mom know so if anything freaky happens, she'll sort it out.

If not it's no big deal, I added my french teacher on facebook, he's probably just adding you if you need to ask him anything quickly.

If you're uncomfortable, then yeah limit what he can see but he's probably most likely just adding you for academic purposes.

Edit: It's a she? Well just replace everything I said with "she", sorry I'm a little stereotypical I guess, that and I misread your post.
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought it's against the rule for teacher and student become friend on fb.
Original post by _beccawalker
Out of school, he comes to my house. He used to go to the same school as me and had the same chemistry teacher as me before uni (and shes only in her thirties I think). He is probably just being nice and that but I dont feel it appropriate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just tell your mum, I don't see anything wrong with it tbh.
If he's young he might just see you as a good friend, that was the case with my chemistry teacher when he followed my instagram anyhow.
Otherwise, just don't accept and say "I'll add you after my exams"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
It seems fairly unprofessional of him, especially since, if you don't accept him, you'll both know it when in a lesson and it could be a bit awkward. The problem is, he probably did it to seem friendly and 'approachable' but it really is quite inappropriate.
Reply 24
unfriend. seriously it could get him (and possibly you) in a lot of trouble. having worked with children as a mentor/supervisor I know there are lots of rules what not to do and this is most definitely on the list. It was irresponsible of him to send the request and i'd suggest to your friend as well. the whole concept of private messaging throws you right into the danger zone. Okay you must think im really pessimistic but i just think to be on the safe side...!
Why don't you stalk his Facebook, see if there's anything fishy on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
My chemistry tutor added me on facebook. This might sound weird but isnt that crossing the line between being a teacher and a friend? I dont know but there's 4 of us that get him in my year and there's a photo of us 4 and I can just imagine him snooping through my photos and seeing it and stuff. He added one of his other students (my friend) and she accepted so I will probably have to accept cause if not he will ask why I didnt at the next lesson. He is really nice and friendly but a couple of times I felt like he is flirting with me and he is young, he left uni recently. I dont know I just find it creepy that he might look through my photos or whatever and feel like it's crossing a line. Maybe if he added me after I stopped getting him or something but I dont feel its appropriate. Am I being an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're uncomfortable with it just decline his friend request. If he asks you just say you feel uncomfortable about it and you wouldn't be able to post silly posts anymore knowing he'd be reading them too. Or you could costumise your pictures and block him from seeing them :smile: That's possible on facebook- you should know that :smile:

But personally I don't think it's a problem. I was given TEACHERS private numbers and I was fine with that. In fact many of us at our school have at least one private number. I texted my maths teacher randomly not necessarily about school. I think it really comes down to your age.
Reply 27
Original post by Olympiad
Why don't you stalk his Facebook, see if there's anything fishy on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah this actually made me laugh put loud! Yeah I just did that but I could only see his profile picture and cover photo without accepting him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Noble.
It seems fairly unprofessional of him, especially since, if you don't accept him, you'll both know it when in a lesson and it could be a bit awkward. The problem is, he probably did it to seem friendly and 'approachable' but it really is quite inappropriate.

Yeah I feel kind of forced to accept cause he's the type of person that will bring it up if I don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Member731
If you're uncomfortable with it just decline his friend request. If he asks you just say you feel uncomfortable about it and you wouldn't be able to post silly posts anymore knowing he'd be reading them too. Or you could costumise your pictures and block him from seeing them :smile: That's possible on facebook- you should know that :smile:

But personally I don't think it's a problem. I was given TEACHERS private numbers and I was fine with that. In fact many of us at our school have at least one private number. I texted my maths teacher randomly not necessarily about school. I think it really comes down to your age.

Although age is one factor, there are other reasons why it's inappropriate to have contact with teachers outside of school. What age were you when you were texting your maths teacher about non-school related things?
Reply 30
Yeah I feel kind of forced to accept cause he's the type of person that will bring it up if I don't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't accept him, and if he brings it up, just say you haven't been on Facebook for a while so wouldn't know.
Hahah this actually made me laugh put loud! Yeah I just did that but I could only see his profile picture and cover photo without accepting him

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOL. Does his name start with J by any chance?:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Although age is one factor, there are other reasons why it's inappropriate to have contact with teachers outside of school. What age were you when you were texting your maths teacher about non-school related things?

This isn't a teacher teaching in school, it is a tutor - outside of school btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right ... so it is not a teacher

Still do not accept

If he asks then say that you do not want to as he is your tutor
My chemistry tutor added me on facebook. This might sound weird but isnt that crossing the line between being a teacher and a friend? I dont know but there's 4 of us that get him in my year and there's a photo of us 4 and I can just imagine him snooping through my photos and seeing it and stuff. He added one of his other students (my friend) and she accepted so I will probably have to accept cause if not he will ask why I didnt at the next lesson. He is really nice and friendly but a couple of times I felt like he is flirting with me and he is young, he left uni recently. I dont know I just find it creepy that he might look through my photos or whatever and feel like it's crossing a line. Maybe if he added me after I stopped getting him or something but I dont feel its appropriate. Am I being an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's against my school rules for us to have teachers on any form of social networks. I wanted to follow my psychology teacher on twitter but I thought it would be best to ask permission and she said that social networks is 'crossing the line' between teacher-student relationships as it's not monitored by the school.

My Geography teacher also got in alot of trouble because he was emailing my home account with work etc (no big deal, just here's your homework you missed).

It's probably against your school code too. Think about it this way: Why should a teacher in his twenties want a teenager on his facebook? It's unprofessional incase a friend tagged a drunken picture of him or he expresses political beliefs.

Just say to him if he asks 'My parents aren't comfortable me having men on my facebook.. they're so over protective' and make it into a joke so it's not awkward.

Once you leave it's nice to have teachers on facebook (I've got a couple from my old school) as it's nice to catch up; they all seem pretty interested what i'm doing at uni.
Reply 35
My bio tutor added me on FB. Nothing wrong with it..
Reply 36
Original post by Olympiad
LOOL. Does his name start with J by any chance?:P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no, starts with a B!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh noes a forbidden student-Teacher relationship is inevitable, kyaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I probably am just being an idiot, I just feel a bitty creeped out that a twenty year old has added a teenage girl on fb and we do know who the other is but not well. I know thst obviously not everyone one my fb knows me well but I feel creeped out by this for some reason
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're reading too much into it. It's not creepy, at all. :confused: a tutor adds you and Facebook and you think there must be some sinister motive?
Reply 39
Original post by pandabird
I think you're reading too much into it. It's not creepy, at all. :confused: a tutor adds you and Facebook and you think there must be some sinister motive?

It's still inappropriate. It was bad enough hearing about one of my teacher's vineyards in class, I didn't also need to be inundated with their score on Candy Crush Saga and pictures of them on a slutty weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending