The Student Room Group

Extra curricular activities for economics

Are there any good ones? I do debating but not extremely relevant...
good competitions? Only heard of the res one
should I attend those open lectures at LSE?
any advice helpful, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Attending LSE lectures would be good.

Read something - but not The Undercover Economist or Freakonomics. Well, you can read those if you like, but pick something else as well.

Target 2.0 competition.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Attending LSE lectures would be good.

Read something - but not The Undercover Economist or Freakonomics. Well, you can read those if you like, but pick something else as well.

Target 2.0 competition.

Dont worry, I read freakonomics when I was thirteen! :tongue: are those the open lectures? Is target 2.0 actually liked as I heard it was rubbish?
There are a few good podcasts online that I listened to (BBC, LSE and also a list of some others on Tim Harford's website) - at least you can listen at your leisure. I'd suggest picking out a few topics that you find interesting, then reading articles and watching documentaries around them (gets some good flow in your ps :smile: ). My own example is Keynes v Hayek - I watched the BBC2 'Masters of Money' documentary series, listened to some BBC podcasts and read an article in The Economist about China's economic policy.
Reply 4
Original post by hexagon999
Dont worry, I read freakonomics when I was thirteen! :tongue: are those the open lectures? Is target 2.0 actually liked as I heard it was rubbish?

You can't just write a list of what you did. So with anything it's more about how you talk about it. If you can talk about anything well it becomes a good thing to mention.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
You can't just write a list of what you did. So with anything it's more about how you talk about it. If you can talk about anything well it becomes a good thing to mention.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Yes, but obviously saying I attended an lse lecture is better than saying I play the kazoo, however I put it
Reply 6
Original post by hexagon999
Yes, but obviously saying I attended an lse lecture is better than saying I play the kazoo, however I put it

If you just write "I attended a lecture at LSE" then it would have no value. If you can explain what you learnt whilst playing the kazoo - like teamwork, or punctuality - it would therefore be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending