The Student Room Group

No idea what's going on with my results & What does 'X' mean on the result slip?

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good, happy results days.

I went into school to get my results slip - I open it and all I see in big letters at the top is C, X, X. I checked the individual units and did pretty badly, grades ranging from b-u. This year has been a pretty crappy year, and I was honestly not expecting great results,however last year in my A's I received BBC, and this fact had been completely ignored on my results slip - it only contained what I received in this years exam. Surely if I received a B in biology last year, and a C this year, the overall couldn't be X (I think this means unmarked/U). I have no idea what's going on, my Firm hasn't yet replied, my examination officer tried calling the exam boards to see what the problem was.

It's probably useful to point out that I moved schools this year, so did my A2's at a new place, and had issues from the start of the year regarding exam entries.

I have no idea what's going on, is it because they had not been cashed in? I don't know what to do, and I'm really panicking. I don't even understand what the problem is.

Does anyone know what's going on here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

I am not an expert but it sounds to me like there has been a communication issue between your two schools at some point:undefined:. In terms of not being able to speak with your Firm offer, are you calling that respective university's clearing hotline telephone number? All of them have one today.

If you are not, you are probably trying to call a different number that is ringing an empty office because for the majority of universities, especially today, it is a case of all hands on deck (ie., clearing). You will be able to speak to them on there no doubt.

If you have tried ringing their clearing number but not getting any joy, try emailing their course enquiries email address for example. I know for a fact that ourselves (University of Central Lancashire www.uclan.ac.uk/clearing) are regularly monitoring and responding to our email contacts today. I am sure it will be similar at your firm offer institution.

Regardless, best of luck with it. I hope you get this problem clearing up soon.
Reply 2
Original post by scanker
Hi,

I am not an expert but it sounds to me like there has been a communication issue between your two schools at some point:undefined:. In terms of not being able to speak with your Firm offer, are you calling that respective university's clearing hotline telephone number? All of them have one today.

If you are not, you are probably trying to call a different number that is ringing an empty office because for the majority of universities, especially today, it is a case of all hands on deck (ie., clearing). You will be able to speak to them on there no doubt.

If you have tried ringing their clearing number but not getting any joy, try emailing their course enquiries email address for example. I know for a fact that ourselves (University of Central Lancashire www.uclan.ac.uk/clearing) are regularly monitoring and responding to our email contacts today. I am sure it will be similar at your firm offer institution.

Regardless, best of luck with it. I hope you get this problem clearing up soon.

Thank you for the reply, and I can verify there has been ZERO communication between the 2 schools, however since I was on the same exam board I didn't think there would be an issue. And I haven't actually called anyone yet, because I don't understand my current situation and have no Idea what's going on or even how to explain this to my firm.

I'll try ringing them/ emailing them now and see where I can get with this, thank you for your response!
Reply 3
Also, does that X mean I've missed an exam? Because I sat every single one of them... :|
Reply 4
Original post by xSahar
Also, does that X mean I've missed an exam? Because I sat every single one of them... :|
In your case, I believe 'X' means "incomplete result", which would be consistent with the results from your two schools not being linked up properly.

Your examinations officer needs to help you sort this out, and quickly. You should tell your firm and insurance what's happened so that they know further information is on its way. If you have your results slip from last year you should be able to work out with your examinations officer what your actual grades should be.
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva
In your case, I believe 'X' means "incomplete result", which would be consistent with the results from your two schools not being linked up properly.

Your examinations officer needs to help you sort this out, and quickly. You should tell your firm and insurance what's happened so that they know further information is on its way. If you have your results slip from last year you should be able to work out with your examinations officer what your actual grades should be.

Thanks for your response! I found out yesterday what the issue was, my examination officer called the exam boards involved (OCR, Edexcel) and they said my 'final grades' will be sorted out by 10am today - and I let my firm know what was going on, to which they replied that they'll hold onto my offer until further info is sent to them. I'm not sure if I should let my insurance know though, since they already rejected me.

Also, I dropped an AS subject last year, but never cashed it in (what does this mean exactly?). Do I need to do anything regarding this as well?
Reply 6
Original post by xSahar
Thanks for your response! I found out yesterday what the issue was, my examination officer called the exam boards involved (OCR, Edexcel) and they said my 'final grades' will be sorted out by 10am today - and I let my firm know what was going on, to which they replied that they'll hold onto my offer until further info is sent to them. I'm not sure if I should let my insurance know though, since they already rejected me.
That's better news :smile: Let's hope the Boards keep their promise. You only need to contact your insurance if you think you might need the place - they shouldn't have rejected you on the basis of incomplete results.

Also, I dropped an AS subject last year, but never cashed it in (what does this mean exactly?). Do I need to do anything regarding this as well?
Cashing in means claiming the qualification. You do need to do this. Ask your examinations officer for advice on how to do this.
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
That's better news :smile: Let's hope the Boards keep their promise. You only need to contact your insurance if you think you might need the place - they shouldn't have rejected you on the basis of incomplete results.

Cashing in means claiming the qualification. You do need to do this. Ask your examinations officer for advice on how to do this.

Thanks for the advice! And not surprisingly, OCR hasn't come through yet :/ Pretty frustrating. And as for the cash in, would I be able to call in the exam board myself (AQA)?

Only one more question I swear - Say I had a C for a subject at AS, but a U for that subject at A2, would I not get a full A-level qualification, only an AS grade?

Thanks again!
Reply 8
Original post by xSahar
Thanks for the advice! And not surprisingly, OCR hasn't come through yet :/ Pretty frustrating. And as for the cash in, would I be able to call in the exam board myself (AQA)?

Only one more question I swear - Say I had a C for a subject at AS, but a U for that subject at A2, would I not get a full A-level qualification, only an AS grade?

Thanks again!
You would get the AS and a separate A level grade - what this would be depends how far down into U territory your marks were, and how high a C you got at AS.
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva
You would get the AS and a separate A level grade - what this would be depends how far down into U territory your marks were, and how high a C you got at AS.

Thank you for all the help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending