The Student Room Group

REAPPLYING HELP: Maths A Level, UCAS Reference!?

Hi All!

I just received my A level grades of AAAA, very pleased.

I wanna do the course PHILOSOPHY AND ECONOMICS which requires a level maths (which I do not have) therefore I want to independently study for a Maths A Level in it.

Would unis "laugh" at me because I am planning to do a FULL maths a level without sixth form/college help??? My teacher (Whose meant to write my reference) thinks so and is actually refusing to support my application!

He also suggests that the absolute last teacher who has taught me has to write my reference... Therefore if I see a weekly maths tutor ... HE would have to write my reference!? Having not even known me for a few months! (Applying to universities in which October fifteenth deadlines exist!!!!)

Please can you guys confirm whether prestigious universities such as LSE or Oxford would reject you on the basis of self studying a Maths A level... I just need to convince my teacher to help me and I'm set!

(I do have a strong work ethic, and I would devote as much time needed to it. I have GCSE MAths A grade)

Thank you all for your help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by britters
Hi All!

I wanna do the course PHILOSOPHY AND ECONOMICS which requires a level maths (which I do not have) therefore I want to independently study for a Maths A Level in it.

Would unis "laugh" at me because I am planning to do a FULL maths a level without sixth form/college help??? My teacher (Whose meant to write my reference) thinks so and is actually refusing to support my application!

He also suggests that the absolute last teacher who has taught me has to write my reference... Therefore if I see a weekly maths tutor ... HE would have to write my reference!? Having not even known me for a few months! (Applying to universities in which October fifteenth deadlines exist!!!!)

Please can you guys confirm whether prestigious universities such as LSE or Oxford would reject you on the basis of self studying a Maths A level... I just need to convince my teacher to help me and I'm set!

(I do have a strong work ethic, and I would devote as much time needed to it. I have GCSE MAths A grade)

Whilst a teacher from school would be able to write you a reference for UCAS I can fully understand them refusing to predict a grade for the A Level - that would have to come from your tutor

Will school allow you to sit the papers there - are they allowing you to be a school applicant rather than an independent
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Whilst a teacher from school would be able to write you a reference for UCAS I can fully understand them refusing to predict a grade for the A Level - that would have to come from your tutor

Will school allow you to sit the papers there - are they allowing you to be a school applicant rather than an independent

Thanks for your reply!

My GCSE Maths teacher has confirmed he would be able to predict me an A Grade in Maths, but I would hardly know my maths tutor for him to predict me a grade.

The school are allowing my to be an external candidate, (i.e. to sit the papers at the school, yes)

Can anyone provide any information as to how the UNIs would react to this approach?

Thank you!
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply!

My GCSE Maths teacher has confirmed he would be able to predict me an A Grade in Maths, but I would hardly know my maths tutor for him to predict me a grade.

The school are allowing my to be an external candidate, (i.e. to sit the papers at the school, yes)

All good then

Can anyone provide any information as to how the UNIs would react to this approach?

Well - they will not accept you without the maths so doing the maths this way can only improve your chances :smile:

I would suggest calling admissions at the universities of interest and discussing this with them

Do have some idea about what you will be doing as well as studying maths during this gap year
Reply 4
All good then

Well - they will not accept you without the maths so doing the maths this way can only improve your chances :smile:

I would suggest calling admissions at the universities of interest and discussing this with them

Do have some idea about what you will be doing as well as studying maths during this gap year

Seems all good, but my teacher is refusing to write my reference! :frown:

I wrote in to the unis in attempts to get him to change his mind .... but, thank you for your advice! :smile:

I wrote in to the unis in attempts to get him to change his mind .... but, thank you for your advice! :smile:

If your teacher is not teaching you for your maths, it's not appropriate for him to give you an academic reference for the subject. He can't comment on your progress/aptitude. Your tutor is the one who is in possession of the information and he will be the one who forecasts your grade.
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If your teacher is not teaching you for your maths, it's not appropriate for him to give you an academic reference for the subject. He can't comment on your progress/aptitude. Your tutor is the one who is in possession of the information and he will be the one who forecasts your grade.

Thanks for you reply!

However, I'm not asking him to write me a reference for maths. I am applying for philosophy and economics, not pure maths. UCAS ask for a reference on the student's overall aptitude and attitude to learning, and he himself knows he is best positioned to comment on it.

As for the maths grade prediction, I understand completely that it should come from a maths teacher if not my tutor.

As a reapplicant, my teacher has ALREADY written me a reference, and all I am asking is that its tweaked for the reapplication process.

It seems a little weird because I can understand where he is coming from in terms of being unsure as to whether the unis would take me, but then again I feel as though I am being left in the dark with no reference from my head of sixth!
Thanks for you reply!

However, I'm not asking him to write me a reference for maths. I am applying for philosophy and economics, not pure maths. UCAS ask for a reference on the student's overall aptitude and attitude to learning, and he himself knows he is best positioned to comment on it.

As for the maths grade prediction, I understand completely that it should come from a maths teacher if not my tutor.

As a reapplicant, my teacher has ALREADY written me a reference, and all I am asking is that its tweaked for the reapplication process.

It seems a little weird because I can understand where he is coming from in terms of being unsure as to whether the unis would take me, but then again I feel as though I am being left in the dark with no reference from my head of sixth!

I see. I'm sorry, I'm flitting about between too many threads to retain the right information. I am surprised by his stance in this case, as it is standard practice at my school to keep the reference on file and tweak it if needed a year on. It's also standard practice for all your subject teachers to have an input. I am unsure why he has taken this position and wonder if there are more facts than we are in possession of. It seems unduly harsh. I am always reluctant to suggest going over the head of a fellow professional, but perhaps your parents might have a chat with the head to find out why you are not being supported?
Hi All!

I understand LSE but why do you need maths A level for PPE at Oxford?
Reply 9
I see. I'm sorry, I'm flitting about between too many threads to retain the right information. I am surprised by his stance in this case, as it is standard practice at my school to keep the reference on file and tweak it if needed a year on. It's also standard practice for all your subject teachers to have an input. I am unsure why he has taken this position and wonder if there are more facts than we are in possession of. It seems unduly harsh. I am always reluctant to suggest going over the head of a fellow professional, but perhaps your parents might have a chat with the head to find out why you are not being supported?

Its completely fine haha. I'm quite surprised too, but he has a very credible reputation and I think he doesn't want it damaged by the prospect of me wasting his time or not getting in.

I've emailed the unis telling them my full situation though, and I am awaiting their reply. Hopefully it lets him change his mind!

Yes, he himself is interested in talking to my parents. That would be a last resort haha.

But thank you for replying, I appreciate getting a students advice! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by nulli tertius
I understand LSE but why do you need maths A level for PPE at Oxford?

Its considered "useful", and Philosophy and Economics is the only variant of PPE (in London) which requires A Level Maths. The way I see it helps both my Oxford application AND deems me eligible to apply for LSE.
Its completely fine haha. I'm quite surprised too, but he has a very credible reputation and I think he doesn't want it damaged by the prospect of me wasting his time or not getting in.

I've emailed the unis telling them my full situation though, and I am awaiting their reply. Hopefully it lets him change his mind!

Yes, he himself is interested in talking to my parents. That would be a last resort haha.

But thank you for replying, I appreciate getting a students advice! :smile:

It's been a long time since I was that. I'm a sixth form tutor, hence my interest in this.

If there is already a reference in school you could use that - or did you apply for something different this year
Reply 13
It's been a long time since I was that. I'm a sixth form tutor, hence my interest in this.

My apologies! Ah, well thank you for your advice regardless.
My apologies! Ah, well thank you for your advice regardless.

No prob. I'm of an age where being mistaken for a student in real life is an impossible dream, so it was a bit of a boost!
Reply 15
If there is already a reference in school you could use that - or did you apply for something different this year

I applied for two courses this year, which is (presumably) why I didn't get any of my preferred unis. I can't take the reference and use it myself, it would have to be authorised by my head of sixth. Really not trying to get into his bad books haha
I applied for two courses this year, which is (presumably) why I didn't get any of my preferred unis. I can't take the reference and use it myself, it would have to be authorised by my head of sixth. Really not trying to get into his bad books haha

No, I mean, they could simply add it again unless it is no good
Reply 17
No prob. I'm of an age where being mistaken for a student in real life is an impossible dream, so it was a bit of a boost!

Haha, my pleasure :smile:
Reply 18
No, I mean, they could simply add it again unless it is no good

My point exactly actually. It seems as though he's opposed to my studying of maths. Hopefully the unis responses can convince him.
My point exactly actually. It seems as though he's opposed to my studying of maths. Hopefully the unis responses can convince him.

Is this your head of sixth?

Would the reference be suitable without change

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending