The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplemind
Doesn't sound too bad (I know there will be many more people who are not on TSR) but where would be the "fun" if there was no competition? :smile:

Exactly, a bit of competition is always good! But I do hope one of the four get into King's. All of us have been hanging round this thread for a while, it'd just be nice if you know what I mean?
Original post by NedStark
Exactly, a bit of competition is always good! But I do hope one of the four get into King's. All of us have been hanging round this thread for a while, it'd just be nice if you know what I mean?

I know what you mean. I think it would be really nice if we could at least meet at the interview. :biggrin:
There's me, you, Epic Flawless, Giant and Giant says there are a few people from his school. I'm predicting King's will be the second most competitive after Trinity.

Just because it's the most popular on an internet forum doesn't mean it's going to be the second most competitive :tongue:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Just because it's the most popular on an internet forum doesn't mean it's going to be the second most competitive :tongue:

That's true, but I'm not basing my guess on that. Last year King's was the second most competitive so I'm predicting it'll be the same again.
Have people received emails from universities saying they're now considering their application? If so when did you apply?
That's true, but I'm not basing my guess on that. Last year King's was the second most competitive so I'm predicting it'll be the same again.

Fair shout. Was it always gonna be Kings or did you also consider other colleges?
Original post by Bloxorus
Is it just me or does it seem like there are very few (if any) Oxford E&M applicants on this thread?

I haven't applied to Oxford, I just noticed it and thought it was a little odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am since I basically live in Cambridge already. I doubt I'll get in but I felt as though it was worth a shot since I've done well in all the TSA papers I have done
How lenient are Sheffield on econ?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Fair shout. Was it always gonna be Kings or did you also consider other colleges?

As in did I consider other colleges to apply to? I attended one of their outreach programmes and I was assigned to an Economist at King's, loved it there so I was pretty dead set on applying there. I thought of St. Johns recently since I wanted to try the TSA given my less than stellar AS performance but knowing that I got rejected by King's will let me sleep peacefully since I at least tried. :smile:

Did I consider other colleges for 2nd most competitive? Not really, no. I thought St. Johns might since they gave a lot of Econ offers last year so people may try the numbers game but I doubt it.

Original post by robin1125
I am since I basically live in Cambridge already. I doubt I'll get in but I felt as though it was worth a shot since I've done well in all the TSA papers I have done

Lucky! I'd love to live there, the city just looks so good!
just about ready to Pay&Send now. just finer tweeks to my personal statement then hopefully clicking the button on Saturday/Sunday ! school should then get it off to UCAS before the end of half-term so that should be good :smile:

anyone know anything about how good you need to be for Bath ? i know ive asked this question before , but my Careers teacher at school told me Bath would be a " hard to sell " option ( basically it would be difficult ) that said he did also say that you need A2 Further Maths for Warwick , and apparently they dont put further maths at any advantage over any other A-level ? so if hes wrong about that , he could be wrong about the Bath thing too.
TSR's acting up today, it shows you've replied but not letting me see your messages :s-smilie:

Lucky! I'd love to live there, the city just looks so good!

It's a great city to have as my local city whilst growing up (I live about twenty minutes drive from the city center), but since my parents are there every other weekend I don't think I'd be able to deal with being at university and being so close to home.

Also, having lived so near to Cambridge for nearly 18 years it's just become normal to me and landmarks that might be considered impressive such as Trinity College or Kings College Chapel just seem normal to me now...
Original post by Fas
just about ready to Pay&Send now. just finer tweeks to my personal statement then hopefully clicking the button on Saturday/Sunday ! school should then get it off to UCAS before the end of half-term so that should be good :smile:

anyone know anything about how good you need to be for Bath ? i know ive asked this question before , but my Careers teacher at school told me Bath would be a " hard to sell " option ( basically it would be difficult ) that said he did also say that you need A2 Further Maths for Warwick , and apparently they dont put further maths at any advantage over any other A-level ? so if hes wrong about that , he could be wrong about the Bath thing too.

I know a guy who got BBBB at AS, 7A* 3A at GCSE but got an offer from Bath and his personal statement with good, but not amazing. He probably had extenuating circumstances as well though, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Although, if you're still don't want to apply to Warwick, since you're parents are forcing you and all that, you could use that to your advantage and just say my careers teacher highly advises against it. Just an idea, but might as well give both a go. :wink:
Original post by robin1125
It's a great city to have as my local city whilst growing up (I live about twenty minutes drive from the city center), but since my parents are there every other weekend I don't think I'd be able to deal with being at university and being so close to home.

Also, having lived so near to Cambridge for nearly 18 years it's just become normal to me and landmarks that might be considered impressive such as Trinity College or Kings College Chapel just seem normal to me now...

So were are you hoping to go? (City-wise)
So were are you hoping to go? (City-wise)

Bristol or Durham, with Durham edging it due to the colleges (but I loved Bristol as a city) and Birmingham as my back up (even though I liked it about as much as Bristol)
I know a guy who got BBBB at AS, 7A* 3A at GCSE but got an offer from Bath and his personal statement with good, but not amazing. He probably had extenuating circumstances as well though, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Although, if you're still don't want to apply to Warwick, since you're parents are forcing you and all that, you could use that to your advantage and just say my careers teacher highly advises against it. Just an idea, but might as well give both a go. :wink:

oooh thats slightly reassuring. according to the Which? university guide , 49% of applicants to Bath for Economics recieved offers so hopefully i should be in that but who knows :smile:

haha yeah told them about it and they're first reaction was " HE'S WRONG !! " so that was a fun conversation :tongue:

although ive managed to turn them from " Warwick the one and only " to " maybe durham to warwick " and besides im the one sending the form so they basically said to have a real think before deciding not to apply to warwick

hows your application going ?
Original post by Fas
oooh thats slightly reassuring. according to the Which? university guide , 49% of applicants to Bath for Economics recieved offers so hopefully i should be in that but who knows :smile:

haha yeah told them about it and they're first reaction was " HE'S WRONG !! " so that was a fun conversation :tongue:

although ive managed to turn them from " Warwick the one and only " to " maybe durham to warwick " and besides im the one sending the form so they basically said to have a real think before deciding not to apply to warwick

hows your application going ?

Imagine if you did choose Warwick and got the offer? We can guess who best parents of the year award goes to.

I've sent it to my teacher, and she sent it back due to little admin stuff since I entered my year 11 BTECs wrong but it's back with her now. Should be sent off tomorrow or Monday. Can't wait!
Reply 1377
Original post by purplemind
I know what you mean. I think it would be really nice if we could at least meet at the interview. :biggrin:

x

Original post by Epic Flawless
x

We should definitely organise a meet of some sort if possible if we have the same dates for interview!

By the way the provisional dates for interview for King's are the 9th-13th of December

Source: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/undergraduate/provisional-interview-dates-for-candidates.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1378
Which 3 would you pick out of:
exeter
leeds
manchester
edinburgh
nottingham
reading

i'm already applying to oxford and bristol
i have AABB at AS 2A* 7A 2B GCSE and A*AA A2 predictions (maths a* chem+bio a)
Original post by Giant
We should definitely organise a meet of some sort if possible if we have the same dates for interview!

By the way the provisional dates for interview for King's are the 9th-13th of December

Source: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/undergraduate/provisional-interview-dates-for-candidates.pdf

Great idea. :smile: Always good to meet some new people.
I hope it's not 13th December. I have a flight booked for the afternoon. :biggrin: Good that you reminded me before I sent my SAQ, I will mention it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending