The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Obviously there are lonzenges, and pain killers, but also try a little bit of hot water and lots of honey and lemon (real pure honey and real fresh lemons) drink it while its hot and that should soothe it a little... hope this helps! (I get sore throats all the time it's the only way I'm ill)
In my experience, the best thing for a sore throat is to crush up an aspirin tablet and mix it in a glass with a tiny bit of water and gargle it for about 30 seconds.

If you Google 'Gargle Aspirin' I'm sure you'll find loads of hits, it's quite a common technique and as aforementioned, has always proved very effective for me personally.
Reply 3
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
In my experience, the best thing for a sore throat is to crush up an aspirin tablet and mix it in a glass with a tiny bit of water and gargle it for about 30 seconds.

If you Google 'Gargle Aspirin' I'm sure you'll find loads of hits, it's quite a common technique and as aforementioned, has always proved very effective for me personally.

I'd try but I tried gargling some mouthwash just to try and kill whatever off and I can't gargle its just not doing it, I normally have no issues :/
ice cream or tea
Original post by smudge_moon
I'd try but I tried gargling some mouthwash just to try and kill whatever off and I can't gargle its just not doing it, I normally have no issues :/

Oops!

In that case you can only swallow a good dose of Aspirin ~900mg or Ibuprofen ~600mg for their anti-inflammatory properties. Hopefully, they'll help to reduce some inflammation and swelling and provide some pain relief. You can also take 1,000mg of Paracetamol up to 4x per day to help kill some pain. Alternatively you can purchase Co-codamol tablets from a pharmacy which is a mixture of Paracetamol and a small dose of Codeine which may provide slightly more power in killing the pain.

Other than that, sucking on ice cubes helps numb the pain, or ice cream if you wanna treat yourself! Or there are some throat sprays that have some pretty good local anaesthetics in them which will really help to numb the pain.

Keep your throat moist and keep hydrated!
gargle with hot salty water every 2 hrs 2-3 times, it should take care of the sore throat
Strepsils usually work for me, failing that a tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
Reply 8
A bit of an old home remedy but boil crushed ginger with sugar. Once you see that most of the water has evaporated off (not all) then leave it to cool a little and drink it down. It will burn. Alot. But it's really affective for colds and sore throats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone has already said, warm lemon water with honey is very effective. For the pain, I find eating smooth chocolate helps a lot.
Reply 10
Really??I heard we are not suppose to eat ice cream while having sore throat
Gargle with salty water after that apply honey inside your mouth means eat it.
I'm closing this thread cos it's old and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss anything similar please feel free to make a new thread. :smile:

Latest