The Student Room Group

Why do people ignore their friends/partners/people who message them?

I don't know why people ignore the messgaes they get from others... I.e someone's friend/partner has annoyed them but instead of talking about the issue they ignore them... I think that's very rude of the person... The person who is being ignored would feel hurt from being ignored... I got ignored by someone on a website... This is how it went:
Me: Hello, how are you?
TEN DAYS LATER...
Me: I don't know why you ignored my message, just becuase I said "Hello, how are you?" it doesn't mean you can be rude and not reply, I was just doing what people do, saying hello and asking how the person is.
Person:
Wooow youre so sensitive. Cool your tits man.
Me:
I'm not sensitive, I'm just a person trying to use this site as it was intended to be used, to make friends. I'm not someone who goes around ignoring someone, I regard that as being extremely rude.
Person:
I regard you as being extremely rude. Now please, stop messaging me.
Me
How am I being rude? You didn't reply for 10 days.
Person:I dont reply to every message sent to me. I dony have to. Its not being rude. I dont like messaging people.
Me:Yes, it is rude to ignore someone's message, it's more polite to tell the person not to talk to them.

I don't understand how someone can just not reply to a message.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's easy. No-one is obliged to reply to someone, if they don't want to message you back they don't have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should've just moved on instead of engaging the person. :no:
Reply 3
Original post by Odd socks
It's easy. No-one is obliged to reply to someone, if they don't want to message you back they don't have to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it's easy!

That's what OPs saying people just cop out and can't be arsed. He can't understand why they don't just make the effort to say I don't know why you're messaging me please don't or reply in the ordinary way.

After all sayng Hey, how are you? Is only friendly...
Reply 4
Original post by Ebony19
Of course it's easy!

That's what OPs saying people just cop out and can't be arsed. He can't understand why they don't just make the effort to say I don't know why you're messaging me please don't or reply in the ordinary way.

After all sayng Hey, how are you? Is only friendly...

Well, speaking from experience, if I got a message I didn't feel comfortable or know how to reply to, it's easier to just ignore the message. Instead of replying and having to say 'I don't want you to message me, I find the things you're saying to be weird and they make me uncomfortable' and get drawn into a conversation with them anyway.

'Hey how are you?' Is just being friendly, and we have no idea why this person didn't reply, but they must have had their reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it's being rude, they're not thinking about the other person... I wouldn't ever ignore someone, then again I've never had a reason to.
Reply 6
Well, speaking from experience, if I got a message I didn't feel comfortable or know how to reply to, it's easier to just ignore the message. Instead of replying and having to say 'I don't want you to message me, I find the things you're saying to be weird and they make me uncomfortable' and get drawn into a conversation with them anyway.

'Hey how are you?' Is just being friendly, and we have no idea why this person didn't reply, but they must have had their reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, true say...
Reply 7
Original post by MylittlePlusle
But it's being rude, they're not thinking about the other person... I wouldn't ever ignore someone, then again I've never had a reason to.

Didn't you say on another thread that if someone was speaking to you and you didn't want them to, you'd tell them to go away? This is similar to that, people don't like telling others to go away, and when you're not speaking face to face, it's less awkward to just ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't you say on another thread that if someone was speaking to you and you didn't want them to, you'd tell them to go away? This is similar to that, people don't like telling others to go away, and when you're not speaking face to face, it's less awkward to just ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, yes, it's the same thing, they should tell the person to stop message/talking to them! It's the polite thing to do rather then ignore them/keep them around them.
They were probably too busy to start a conversation at the time they received the message and then they forgot that they got it so didn't reply. Or they don't know you too well so they found it odd that you messaged them and so didn't message back. Either way isn't really rude, the first is just forgetting and the second is that they don't have a desire to chat to you which is only an insult if you're a bit full of yourself.
I did, yes, it's the same thing, they should tell the person to stop message/talking to them! It's the polite thing to do rather then ignore them/keep them around them.

Well remember what people said in that thread, just because you would tell them, the majority of folk wouldn't be that upfront because it's seen as ruder to tell someone to go away

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't want to talk to people just say so, it hurts them more for you to ignore them. It's even worse when they get bored of the conversation and stop talking altogether for long periods of time with no reason why...
Reply 12
o.p., you come across as rather neurotic.

if they don't want to reply, for whatever reason, they're under no obligation to do so.
I would be more offended if someone told me not to message them again than if they just ignored my message. Like, either way I would get the gist of what they were saying, but if they've ignored it then there's the possibility that they just didn't see it.
Reply 14
The fact that someone is not obligated to do something doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it anyway. I really hate when it is suggested that because we don't owe anything to other people we shouldn't be honest and and polite with each other. Ignoring someone is definitely rude (and can be very hurtful if you are close with the other person) and you are fooling yourselves if you think otherwise. Of course, if you just forget to answer or there is another valid reason it is a different case. There is always a nice way to tell someone to stop messaging you and personally I prefer it when people are honest with me instead of acting like immature children.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SecretDuck
You should've just moved on instead of engaging the person. :no:

I don't do that, I keep talking to the person, I don't want to be rude.
What about people who ignore their partners/friends?
What about people who ignore their partners/friends?

Yeah, that's just childish. If you've just had an argument or something I suppose it'd be okay to want a few days apart but otherwise it's a greedy short term solution to any problem.
I don't do that, I keep talking to the person, I don't want to be rude.

I think it's rude to bother her... :dontknow:
Original post by SecretDuck
I think it's rude to bother her... :dontknow:

She was being rude by ignoring my message for 10 days...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending