The Student Room Group

MA in Drama&Theatre

Hi people!
Is there anyone from the MA Drama&Theatre at Kent,MA Drama at Exeter or MA Drama and Theatre at Royal Holloway? I need some information and advice about this programme
(edited 10 years ago)
Why do you want to do a Masters?
Reply 2
Original post by sisyphusss
Hi people!
Is there anyone from the MA Drama&Theatre at Kent,MA Drama at Exeter or MA Drama and Theatre at Royal Holloway? I need some information and advice about this programme

Hi! I'm applying for Drama & Theatre at Kent and Drama at Exeter, too! I'm looking to gain more experience from the masters in order to strengthen my technique and hopefully pursue an acting career. I'm also looking for some more information about both schools, so any information from anyone would be helpful... :smile:
An MA at a University is an academic degree, it is not vocational practical training to be a performer.

If that is your aim, then you need to do a post-grad course in Acting at a recognised Drama School - example http://www.cssd.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/masters/ma-acting
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
An MA at a University is an academic degree, it is not vocational practical training to be a performer.

If that is your aim, then you need to do a post-grad course in Acting at a recognised Drama School - example http://www.cssd.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/masters/ma-acting

Thanks for the clarification. I guess each of the universities has a different view of what an MA is used for, since Essex has an MA for Acting.
Original post by cytja_0288
Thanks for the clarification. I guess each of the universities has a different view of what an MA is used for, since Essex has an MA for Acting.

It isnt what they think 'an MA' is used for - its that a coursein 'Acting' is profoundly different to a course in Drama. They aren't given different titles just for fun. The course at Essex is actually run at East 15 Drama School - a well established, well known and respected Drama School that trains actors, not academics. I think you need to look at little deeper into this that just degree titles and assuming its just a trifling semantic difference.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
It isnt what they think 'an MA' is used for - its that a coursein 'Acting' is profoundly different to a course in Drama. They aren't given different titles just for fun. The course at Essex is actually run at East 15 Drama School - a well established, well known and respected Drama School that trains actors, not academics. I think you need to look at little deeper into this that just degree titles and assuming its just a trifling semantic difference.

I might have to do that. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending