The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Additional Science (B2, C2, P2)

Anyone doing Edexcel for Science? :smile: Are you prepared for B2, C2 and P2, what do you think the difficulty of the papers will be?

LINK TO TRIPLE SCIENCE (B3, P3, C3) THREAD
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2711511
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I'm doing this and Triple -.- , I'm dreading B2 the most because I find it incredibly difficult, but my teacher says she actually doesn't know what will come up (which is obviously tons of help). Ah but in C2 i'm in my element (get it :wink:) and I just love it and find it really easy. Physics is alright as you get the formulas.
I'm trying to revise for B2 now but it's just confusing to me and the B2 exam clashes with my Additional Maths exam, so i'm in isolation all day as geography unit 3 is on that day too.
I hope that papers will be easier, but i'm just bricking it!! :frown:
Original post by KaylaB
Yes I'm doing this and Triple -.- , I'm dreading B2 the most because I find it incredibly difficult, but my teacher says she actually doesn't know what will come up (which is obviously tons of help). Ah but in C2 i'm in my element (get it :wink:) and I just love it and find it really easy. Physics is alright as you get the formulas.
I'm trying to revise for B2 now but it's just confusing to me and the B2 exam clashes with my Additional Maths exam, so i'm in isolation all day as geography unit 3 is on that day too.

The case studies in the 3rd paper ah my gee there are way too many
Original post by KaylaB

I'm dreading B2 too. I find a lot of it is a bit confusing. I'm alright with the basics like labeling/describing the components of animal, plant and bacteria cells but stuff like protein synthesis there's way too much to remember. C2 I hate (just not a Chemistry person) and P2 is okay but I've not learnt much of it. We kind of rushed learning P2 at the end of year 11. :tongue: I think I'm nervous for all the units. I'll probably get like a B for them although I want an A. :frown:

I have Geography Unit 3 the same time as B2 too. I've done no revision for Geog Unit 3 so here's hoping for an easy paper. I'm spending all my time learning Maths and Science and not bothering with the less important subjects like Geog.
Anyone else do Edexcel Science?

It seems everyone does AQA and OCR but barely anyone does Edexcel. :tongue: To be fair it's the worst exam board though...
Reply 5
Original post by yellowcopter
Anyone else do Edexcel Science?

It seems everyone does AQA and OCR but barely anyone does Edexcel. :tongue: To be fair it's the worst exam board though...

I do Edexcel Triple Science :biggrin: What makes it the worst...?

Are you ready for the exams? :smile:
Original post by lubsjk
I do Edexcel Triple Science :biggrin: What makes it the worst...?

Are you ready for the exams? :smile:

It just seems the hardest exam board among them all, in my opinion. :tongue: I'd much rather do AQA or OCR. My year group is the last at my school to do Edexcel, next year they're doing AQA.

I'm slightly ready, but can't say I'm confident for an A* or anything ready. I find the Additional Science topics really hard, especially B2. How about you? :smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing Triple Science and I have those exams too! :/

I've revised as much as I can and I've done past papers but I'm not doing very well in those (maybe because it's not the real thing so I'm not really bothered).

I hope the exams will be good to us :frown:
I'm honestly so scared.

How ready do you all feel?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
It just seems the hardest exam board among them all, in my opinion. :tongue: I'd much rather do AQA or OCR. My year group is the last at my school to do Edexcel, next year they're doing AQA.

I'm slightly ready, but can't say I'm confident for an A* or anything ready. I find the Additional Science topics really hard, especially B2. How about you? :smile:

Oh I didn't know that. I don't really mind Edexcel. I guess it's because I don't know anything about AQA and OCR Sciences. I try not to think about them because I'll probably frustrate me as I know othera have it easier :tongue:

I did my Chemistry ones last year so I only have Physics and Biology. I don't mind the topics. I just hate the grade boundaries. It's way too high (though P2 is always super low for some reason).

Original post by kaycana

I've revised as much as I can and I've done past papers but I'm not doing very well in those (maybe because it's not the real thing so I'm not really bothered).

I'm honestly so scared.

Don't stress yourself out! If you've revised and done many past papers then I'm sure you'll do well. Try and stay calm as the last thing you want is to panic just before the exam :smile:

I'm okay with the Additional. The Triple ones are the ones that are bothering me. Hopefully I'll get high marks in the single and additional. This means that I can get a lower grade on P3 and B3 and still get a good grade overall for them.
Original post by kaycana

I'm honestly so scared.

I feel the exact same way, I've revised loads and done past papers but I still feel like I'm getting no where and I'm not doing so great at them. :frown: I felt confident and okay for Core (B1, P1, C1) but I feel a lot less confident for Additional. Additional just seems to have this odd difficulty and harder to grasp concept that I can't really explain.

Original post by lubsjk
Oh I didn't know that. I don't really mind Edexcel. I guess it's because I don't know anything about AQA and OCR Sciences. I try not to think about them because I'll probably frustrate me as I know othera have it easier :tongue:

I did my Chemistry ones last year so I only have Physics and Biology. I don't mind the topics. I just hate the grade boundaries. It's way too high (though P2 is always super low for some reason).

I try not to think of it either. :tongue: I think P2 has low grade boundaries because people usually find it hard, eg equations. P2 in my opinion is actually awesome and my favorite unit out of GCSE Science. I did Further Additional Science last year in Year 10 (P3, B3, C3) and I'm doing Core Science and Additional Science this year. Odd I know.
Reply 10
I try not to think of it either. :tongue: I think P2 has low grade boundaries because people usually find it hard, eg equations. P2 in my opinion is actually awesome and my favorite unit out of GCSE Science. I did Further Additional Science last year in Year 10 (P3, B3, C3) and I'm doing Core Science and Additional Science this year. Odd I know.

You kind of did it all backwards :tongue: I guess the way you did it is better because you dont have to do the more difficult modules this year.
I love P2 too. It's just a bunch of calculations. If anything, P1 is harder... I do hope that the grade boundaries stay low this year though :colondollar:
Original post by lubsjk
You kind of did it all backwards :tongue: I guess the way you did it is better because you dont have to do the more difficult modules this year.
I love P2 too. It's just a bunch of calculations. If anything, P1 is harder... I do hope that the grade boundaries stay low this year though :colondollar:

Yeah I know haha. :tongue: The best thing about it is I finish my exams 13th June like all the Double Science students at my school whilst all the other Triples don't finish until way later. That's why I love P2 too, them sexy calculations. :ahee: The P1 exam this year was a b***h, I hated it. Hoping those grade boundaries/UMS will save us. :frown:
Reply 12
Yeah I know haha. :tongue: The best thing about it is I finish my exams 13th June like all the Double Science students at my school whilst all the other Triples don't finish until way later. That's why I love P2 too, them sexy calculations. :ahee: The P1 exam this year was a b***h, I hated it. Hoping those grade boundaries/UMS will save us. :frown:

The P3 exam is on the 23rd which is a week after everyone else finishes! It's so annoying :frown: P1 wasn't too bad it wasn't great either. There were two pages that I know I completely messed up though. I flopped the seismic waves one and the one with the springs and the absorbers. Ugh. Those two were awful! How'd you find B1? Everything that I didn't revise came up :angry: It wasn't a bad paper though.
Original post by lubsjk
The P3 exam is on the 23rd which is a week after everyone else finishes! It's so annoying :frown: P1 wasn't too bad it wasn't great either. There were two pages that I know I completely messed up though. I flopped the seismic waves one and the one with the springs and the absorbers. Ugh. Those two were awful! How'd you find B1? Everything that I didn't revise came up :angry: It wasn't a bad paper though.

Makes me glad I did it in Year 10. :awesome: Even though I have no idea what I got because they won't give us any GCSE results until Year 11 results day, even if you did them in Year 10 you have to wait until Year 11. They're a bit 'iffy' with it though because they gave me my Graphics exam results in the mail even though they didn't give my Further Add Sci results.

I agree about P1, and those were the two questions I messed up too. :tongue: That stupid spring coil and seismic waves section I completely f***ed up. I had only briefly revised those two topics so I was in for a shock. The other topics were okay though, the red-shift 6 marker I wasn't that great on either though and probably got something like 3/6 or 4/6.

As for B1 I found it fine, it wasn't hard or bad but it definitely wasn't the easiest B1 paper I've done. Most of the topics I revised came up. I didn't revise Plant Hormones though, but I think I just managed to bull s*** it. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by lubsjk

Don't stress yourself out! If you've revised and done many past papers then I'm sure you'll do well. Try and stay calm as the last thing you want is to panic just before the exam :smile:

I'm okay with the Additional. The Triple ones are the ones that are bothering me. Hopefully I'll get high marks in the single and additional. This means that I can get a lower grade on P3 and B3 and still get a good grade overall for them.

Haha, yeah, I know but I just can't help it!

Ah, right. I'm doing Triple next year so I'll have to wait and see.

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I feel the exact same way, I've revised loads and done past papers but I still feel like I'm getting no where and I'm not doing so great at them. :frown: I felt confident and okay for Core (B1, P1, C1) but I feel a lot less confident for Additional. Additional just seems to have this odd difficulty and harder to grasp concept that I can't really explain.

Oh man :frown: Hope you ace them!
I can't really remember much of Core because I did it last year but I think Additional is more complicated because you need to understand the materal rather than memorise it... :/
I wish we didn't have to take all three exams at the end of the year but instead have a gap between each subject.
Reply 16
Makes me glad I did it in Year 10. :awesome: Even though I have no idea what I got because they won't give us any GCSE results until Year 11 results day, even if you did them in Year 10 you have to wait until Year 11. They're a bit 'iffy' with it though because they gave me my Graphics exam results in the mail even though they didn't give my Further Add Sci results.

I agree about P1, and those were the two questions I messed up too. :tongue: That stupid spring coil and seismic waves section I completely f***ed up. I had only briefly revised those two topics so I was in for a shock. The other topics were okay though, the red-shift 6 marker I wasn't that great on either though and probably got something like 3/6 or 4/6.

As for B1 I found it fine, it wasn't hard or bad but it definitely wasn't the easiest B1 paper I've done. Most of the topics I revised came up. I didn't revise Plant Hormones though, but I think I just managed to bull s*** it. :lol:

That's strange. My school didn't want to give the Year 10s their results on results day (they wanted to give it to us in September) because their priority was the Year 11s but we just went in and got it anyway :tongue:

The red shift question was streange because although I know it quite well and I'm confident that I got quite a few marks for it, I don't understand why they made it a 6 marker. It should have been worth 4 marks! ><
Original post by kaycana
Oh man :frown: Hope you ace them!
I can't really remember much of Core because I did it last year but I think Additional is more complicated because you need to understand the materal rather than memorise it... :/
I wish we didn't have to take all three exams at the end of the year but instead have a gap between each subject.

Yeah I wish we still did Modular, that would give us so much more time to revise and learn each unit in great detail, and make it a lot easier to cope/pass. The issue with Linear is you need to learn all 3 topics in great detail and at the same time, so it's so easy to forgot whole chunks of topic, e.g. I learnt the whole of the heart and circulatory system yesterday but I'll probably forget it all by the time of the exam. The day before the exam I'll just go over the main topics. :smile:

Good luck to you too. :biggrin:

Original post by lubsjk
That's strange. My school didn't want to give the Year 10s their results on results day (they wanted to give it to us in September) because their priority was the Year 11s but we just went in and got it anyway :tongue:

The red shift question was streange because although I know it quite well and I'm confident that I got quite a few marks for it, I don't understand why they made it a 6 marker. It should have been worth 4 marks! ><

I wish I had thought of that. :tongue: Oh well, I guess I'll just wait until Year 11 results day. :ahee:

Yeah I know, you couldn't really talk about it. I think I just mentioned how red-shift is shifting to the red end of the spectrum and that shows that the universe is expanding.
Reply 18
Can anyone tell me what they find confusing about B2? Because for me, I don't it too hard. I like biology.
Original post by SL2310
Can anyone tell me what they find confusing about B2? Because for me, I don't it too hard. I like biology.

I like Biology too but I just think the concepts are much more difficult to grasp in B2 than in B1.

For example Homeostasis in B1 is no way as difficult to learn than The Heart and Circulatory System in B2!

It's not that hard but it's definitely a lot harder to remember and apply. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending