The Student Room Group

Commuting vs Moving away

I chose a university closer to home because I thought it would be better to commute, mainly cost saving and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to move away.

Now though, I'm starting to think I have made the wrong choice, and I don't want to miss out on the 'university experience'. I'm 20, and the majority of my friends have moved away and seem to be having the best times of their lives. I didn't qualify for halls as I live too close to the university #45 mins train#, and I've left it too late to try and find people to share a house with.

Has anyone that has previously commuted got any advice or tips on getting involved? Like joining a society etc. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I started uni at 20 and also stayed at home, I just finished my first year and didn't feel like I missed out on the university experience at all. I managed to make loads of friends, and actually made sure they were real friendships rather than just being friends with someone because you're forced to live with them, or just bickering because you see them so often. I went to a lot of the freshers events during the day which meant I met people when they were sober rather than becoming drunk bffs with people on nights out. My uni also had an event for local students/stay at home students to meet one another prior to freshers week.
I met my closest friends on facebook during the summer before uni started though. There was a facebook freshers group and I met a few course mates on there, they've been my best friends ever since.

You'll find a lot of people will say they feel sorry for you not being in halls and missing out on the uni lifestyle, but when you're actually there, a lot of people will wish they were in your shoes. Able to go home and sleep in their own bed and eat real food. Not having to put up with hundreds of loud students when you're trying to sleep or study, not having to put up with 7 other people's kitchen mess etc. There are no cons to living at home, in my eyes. Plus, I've managed to save a huge chunk of the amount I'm trying to save for a deposit. I couldn't have done that in halls.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I started uni at 20 and also stayed at home, I just finished my first year and didn't feel like I missed out on the university experience at all. I managed to make loads of friends, and actually made sure they were real friendships rather than just being friends with someone because you're forced to live with them, or just bickering because you see them so often. I went to a lot of the freshers events during the day which meant I met people when they were sober rather than becoming drunk bffs with people on nights out. My uni also had an event for local students/stay at home students to meet one another prior to freshers week.
I met my closest friends on facebook during the summer before uni started though. There was a facebook freshers group and I met a few course mates on there, they've been my best friends ever since.

You'll find a lot of people will say they feel sorry for you not being in halls and missing out on the uni lifestyle, but when you're actually there, a lot of people will wish they were in your shoes. Able to go home and sleep in their own bed and eat real food. Not having to put up with hundreds of loud students when you're trying to sleep or study, not having to put up with 7 other people's kitchen mess etc. There are no cons to living at home, in my eyes. Plus, I've managed to save a huge chunk of the amount I'm trying to save for a deposit. I couldn't have done that in halls.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Sleep in your own bed' what? You don't share bunks in uni mate. 'Eat real food' huh? 20 years old is too old to still be relying on mammy to cook proper food for ya. And as for the noise... If you have siblings under 10 under 15 of any age you'll understand me when I say halls is a monastery compared to home.

Combine that with an hour's commute and assured decrease in social life... Boggles the mind why anyone would willingly stay at home during uni. "Oh but I'll save money for a deposit"- CHRIST man lay off the werther's.
Reply 4

Thank you! It's good to hear it from people that aren't my friends! Not so worried now!
Reply 5
Original post by howdoyoudo
'Sleep in your own bed' what? You don't share bunks in uni mate. 'Eat real food' huh? 20 years old is too old to still be relying on mammy to cook proper food for ya. And as for the noise... If you have siblings under 10 under 15 of any age you'll understand me when I say halls is a monastery compared to home.

Combine that with an hour's commute and assured decrease in social life... Boggles the mind why anyone would willingly stay at home during uni. "Oh but I'll save money for a deposit"- CHRIST man lay off the werther's.

I think when I'm paying pretty much the same at home for rent, as I would at halls, I get a much better deal. Reliable washing machine, better food and a double bed. I'm only thinking about the first year living at home anyway, a lot of people have lived at home in the first year and moved out to the uni once they've made friends.
Original post by Hazel1203
I think when I'm paying pretty much the same at home for rent, as I would at halls, I get a much better deal. Reliable washing machine, better food and a double bed. I'm only thinking about the first year living at home anyway, a lot of people have lived at home in the first year and moved out to the uni once they've made friends.

Never heard of an unreliable washing machine in uni halls because you have mechanics on the end of the phone literally 24/7. It also broke far less than my parents washing machine.

Better food - clearly you are just bad at cooking. My parents picked me off with a lit of their recipes its hardly difficult.

Plenty of halls have double beds. Plus, sureley at home its not like you get to utilise it in the same way.

Seems to me you have created nonexistent downsides to living in halls to justify your situation to yourself.

OP you are where you are so have to make the most of it, just put extra effort into making friends and being as sociable as possible and you should be OK.
Reply 7
Original post by redferry
Never heard of an unreliable washing machine in uni halls because you have mechanics on the end of the phone literally 24/7. It also broke far less than my parents washing machine.

Better food - clearly you are just bad at cooking. My parents picked me off with a lit of their recipes its hardly difficult.

Plenty of halls have double beds. Plus, sureley at home its not like you get to utilise it in the same way.

Seems to me you have created nonexistent downsides to living in halls to justify your situation to yourself.

OP you are where you are so have to make the most of it, just put extra effort into making friends and being as sociable as possible and you should be OK.

I didn't get halls because I live too close anyway... Don't know if I'd be able to change student finance, as I can't afford to move out otherwise
I didn't get halls because I live too close anyway... Don't know if I'd be able to change student finance, as I can't afford to move out otherwise

That's what I mean, you are where you are, it doesn't matter if you made a mistake or not, you just have to make the best of it :smile:

Is there any provision for students out of halls in fresher's week?
Reply 9
Original post by redferry
That's what I mean, you are where you are, it doesn't matter if you made a mistake or not, you just have to make the best of it :smile:

Is there any provision for students out of halls in fresher's week?

Tbh, I haven't checked. I will now though!
Leaving home for uni is honestly one of the best things I've ever done.

and I've left it too late to try and find people to share a house with.

Nah, there will still be spare rooms available. Rooms come up for all sorts of reasons - people who drop out, estate agents who do a special offer on a house with an extra bedroom, and groups that fall in love with a house that's just that bit bigger than they really need. Indeed, I'm now onto my third year of house sharing and I've never not had a spare bedroom at the start of the year.
Tbh, I haven't checked. I will now though!

If there are, get involved with that :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
Leaving home for uni is honestly one of the best things I've ever done.

Nah, there will still be spare rooms available. Rooms come up for all sorts of reasons - people who drop out, estate agents who do a special offer on a house with an extra bedroom, and groups that fall in love with a house that's just that bit bigger than they really need. Indeed, I'm now onto my third year of house sharing and I've never not had a spare bedroom at the start of the year.

Oh really? I'll definitely have to have a look! Just need to see if I can change my student finance :smile:
Oh really? I'll definitely have to have a look! Just need to see if I can change my student finance :smile:

Really! You just need to contact SFE and let them know that you'll be living away from home :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by howdoyoudo

Mammy cooks my food? I don't think so. I've cooked my own food since I was 12 years old because I hate the foods my parents eat. I just have the freedom to eat decent food rather than survive on cheap vodka and noodles like most of my friends in halls.

You're telling me that your bed in halls is more comfortable than your bed at home? Man, you must have luxury accommodation. My friends in halls CONSTANTLY talk about how excited they are to get home to sleep in their own bed and not the crappy thing they're given in halls.

Some people place more importance on saving money for a deposit than living in filth with strangers that you may, or may not get on with. I live in comfort at home, can save my money for the future and still get to enjoy my social life. Woe is me. What a hard life I have.
Reply 15
Mammy cooks my food? I don't think so. I've cooked my own food since I was 12 years old because I hate the foods my parents eat. I just have the freedom to eat decent food rather than survive on cheap vodka and noodles like most of my friends in halls.

You're telling me that your bed in halls is more comfortable than your bed at home? Man, you must have luxury accommodation. My friends in halls CONSTANTLY talk about how excited they are to get home to sleep in their own bed and not the crappy thing they're given in halls.

Some people place more importance on saving money for a deposit than living in filth with strangers that you may, or may not get on with. I live in comfort at home, can save my money for the future and still get to enjoy my social life. Woe is me. What a hard life I have.

So much truth in this post. My friends have all said the same about their beds at home, and many have piss poor diets because they choose alcohol over decent food.
I've lived at home for the 1st year and it's been great. Basically you get the best of both worlds by commuting - if push comes to shove and you want to go on a night out, crash at a friend's place.

I have a 25 minute journey each way and it works out really well. Commuting meant that I had enough money to buy a new car, so if I was going to stay late for whatever reason I could drive into uni instead of taking the train as trains stop running back to where I live at 21:30.

I reckon you've made the right decision staying at home, why slum it when you can be comfortable at home?
Reply 17
I also commuted for first year and all together it was an hour there and back and although it did have it's moments, it just added to my own uni experience in a weird way. I didn't feel like I missed at all- I've made really really good friends, though there was two cons and it's mainly due to the bus timetables of the bus I take but I'm hoping they change it so it's more frequent. One thing I regret is not actually taking part in societies or becoming more 'involved'. I could've done but I was just lazy as I didn't want to travel to uni five days a week- I wanted to have my Wednesdays off. But yeah, I'd still commute.
Reply 18
It's a tough decision to make, that is for sure.
Reply 19
I was considering commuting to and from University for my first year but ended up moving into university accomodation. I can honestly say that I think i'd have dropped out had I ended up commuting. Obviously this isn't the case 100% of the time and if you'd rather commute then that might be better for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending