The Student Room Group

I got chased last night and now I am scared... :(

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry this happened to you it's surprising how much it can affect you. A similar thing happened to me I'd got of the bus and it's also about a 5 min walk through this long badly lit road with quite a few alleyways it had never seemed frightening before and I'd done the walk many times before but that night this guy got out of the alleyway I saw him and then heard something behind me and there way another guy behind me at this point I was ****ting myself luckily a taxi driver turned into the street and started driving really slowly so I just ran. It's weird how that one incident can scare you so much I'd never been afraid of walking home at night before but now I'm always a I'm always a little paranoid and turn my headphones off when I turn into that street. The advise people gave me was to phone someone and talk to them but then your advertising that you've got an expensive phone. Maybe convince someone to go with you who can drive or if someone at the class lives near you ask if it's possible for a lift and you'll help with petrol expenses.
Original post by LillyLisaa
When I first saw him he was just stood there staring at me. Then I noticed he was walking behind me and when I started running so did he..

The exact same thing happened to me a while ago. Is the guy foreign (with an eastern eurpoean accent?). The worse thing was I was carrying milk (It was quite dark and luckily i was with my sis). We were running so much, the milk dropped and exploded. We didn't care and just kept running. He was running too and I think he stopped once he realised we were going in the house
When I first saw him he was just stood there staring at me. Then I noticed he was walking behind me and when I started running so did he..

Do you have a description of him that you could give to the relevant authority? Harassment is a crime. Unfortunately I don't have much else to suggest other than what people have already said, make sure you are not on your own. If you are in a group you will be far less vulnerable.
Original post by FudgeyMonkey
Carry a rape alarm. Both my parents were police officers so they've had dealings with paedophiles etc. Above all else the best thing you can do is scream. Pull the rape alarm. Kick up a fuss. Then run. But in this case if he shouted 'roar' then its probably just a **** being his twatish self.

What do they do?? He didn't shout it though he stared straight at me and said it in this creepy serious way..
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
If you're adamant on going to this class, you could always have someone to talk to on the phone when you get off of the bus?

Would that stop someone chasing you??
Yeah I like the idea that if you're walking from the bus, talk on your phone to your parents/friends so they know where you are and what's going on. Maybe also walk a bit faster or avoid walking through dark paths and if you see a group of people, keep close to them.

Check out TSR Movie Madness
I started a gymnastics class last night and it is from 8:30-10:30pm at night and the class is about an hour on the bus away from my house. Well last night when I got back (off the bus) it was about midnight and this man started following me so I ran and I thought he had gone but then I saw him and he stared straight at me and said something like roar. I was so scared and ran as quick as I could as I was thankfully on my street. I was so scared that I was going to get killed or something.

I really don't know what to do. I loved the class and I really want to go back but what if it happens again? I have to get the bus I as I won't be able to afford taxis twice a week when they're about £15 and I have to pay for the classes too. I'm not scared of getting the bus but I am now really scared of walking home when I get off... It is only a 5 minute walk and my street is usually pretty safe so I thought it would be fine but I can now see that it is not. If it was earlier I could probably even knock on someone's door and ask for help but I couldn't do that at that time. What should I do? I really don't want to give up my classes but I am scared.

Yeah, I'd be scared out of my wits too. I would suggest you call or text your parents or a close friend about one or two stops before you get off and make sure they know where you are, around how long it'll take for you to get home and that they know you'll definitely text or call them again when you get home. That way, if you don't call or text them again within, say, five or ten minutes, depending on how long you tell them you'll take, they'll know something is wrong - so of course, you can't forget to call them once you get home.

Other than that, I suppose you could have the emergency number on speed dial on your phone so if something does happen you can get help as soon as possible.

And of course walk (or even run) as fast as you can, though don't move too loudly otherwise you won't be able to hear your surroundings such as footsteps, etc. You could check behind you occassionally while you're walking to see if anyone is following you, and your peripheral vision should also help you to be more aware of your surroundings.

Hopefully nothing like that happens again, if it does it'd probably be a good idea to quit the class, it's not worth risking your safety...

Best of luck and take care,

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by littleangel9914
I'm sorry this happened to you it's surprising how much it can affect you. A similar thing happened to me I'd got of the bus and it's also about a 5 min walk through this long badly lit road with quite a few alleyways it had never seemed frightening before and I'd done the walk many times before but that night this guy got out of the alleyway I saw him and then heard something behind me and there way another guy behind me at this point I was ****ting myself luckily a taxi driver turned into the street and started driving really slowly so I just ran. It's weird how that one incident can scare you so much I'd never been afraid of walking home at night before but now I'm always a I'm always a little paranoid and turn my headphones off when I turn into that street. The advise people gave me was to phone someone and talk to them but then your advertising that you've got an expensive phone. Maybe convince someone to go with you who can drive or if someone at the class lives near you ask if it's possible for a lift and you'll help with petrol expenses.

It doesn't sound as scary as it is until it happens to you does it? :frown: omg really? :frown: there was more than one guy? A couple of cars drove past me but didn't stop or anything.. :/ I don't know anyone there and at that time it's just not possible... :frown: does being on the phone with someone really help? Like if someone saw you were on the phone would it make the, not go after you??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Secretnerd123
The exact same thing happened to me a while ago. Is the guy foreign (with an eastern eurpoean accent?). The worse thing was I was carrying milk (It was quite dark and luckily i was with my sis). We were running so much, the milk dropped and exploded. We didn't care and just kept running. He was running too and I think he stopped once he realised we were going in the house

I'm not sure... He was quite old? Was it night time? He chased you to your house so he knows where you live? :frown:
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Do you have a description of him that you could give to the relevant authority? Harassment is a crime. Unfortunately I don't have much else to suggest other than what people have already said, make sure you are not on your own. If you are in a group you will be far less vulnerable.

Not really... It was quite dark I do think I'd recognise him if I saw him again though... I can't really do anything about being on my own :frown:
My sister was attacked once when she was 16/17/18 (one of them). It completely (understandably) scared her from going out on her own. She was given a rape alarm thing and it makes a really loud noise to grab people's attention and her one was hard to switch off, so say someone got her, she pressed her alarm, the person wouldn't be able to turn it off straight away so in that time it would grab someone's attention. Most evil chasing, attacking people would just run at the sound of it though.
I'm not sure... He was quite old? Was it night time? He chased you to your house so he knows where you live? :frown:

No this one was young and seemed a little drunk so i doubt he remembers where we live lol

It was a very scary experience :frown: he just stared at us and when we looked back, he was walking fast towards us then started chasing us (wth?!).

I think you should try to find a yoga place near you
Thank you and I did ask my parents but they said it's too late :frown: I don't know a friend that could or would... They need to be safe too...

I don't take a key because my mum lets me in and I am thinking of running but I'm so tired if two hours of gymnastics D: if I don't look back I won't see if anyone's there though :redface:
But if I scream won't they run faster to try and make me be quite? :/ my mum knew I was on the way home.. I might ask her to stand at the door, do you think that would help?

Thank you!

:wink: Happy to help..
You said the walk is 5 minutes, running would half that time so just add 2 minute part as your warm down from the gymnastic :wink:. Yeah about the keys, if you have anything sharp ie. pen or pencil just keep that in hand for when a situation requires it.
Some do, but I would imagine attackers would want someone defenceless so if you're screaming that means you're more likely to put up a fight, and that's more hassle than its worth for them. Think about it this way if the person is really wants to get you regradless, you'd rather go down screaming so that would alert people that could help, whereas not screaming you're not giving yourself a chance to get help. Makes sense? :smile:

Oh I meant, you scream if you find that someone is actively chasing you. The other times just run.
Yes, definitely having your mum at the door would help immensely especially for your peace of mind (even hers)
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Yeah I like the idea that if you're walking from the bus, talk on your phone to your parents/friends so they know where you are and what's going on. Maybe also walk a bit faster or avoid walking through dark paths and if you see a group of people, keep close to them.

Check out TSR Movie Madness

I don't really know what being on the phone would do to stop someone chasing you but I do get how it could mark me feel safer if I'm just walking home.
Not really... It was quite dark I do think I'd recognise him if I saw him again though... I can't really do anything about being on my own :frown:

Is there any possibility you could get a lift with a friend and perhaps stay over that day? It might be a big ask, but some people can be very accommodating if you tell them your reasons. Are you old enough to drive? That is another option, and is a good reason to get insurance. If you really have to walk down on your own at night, then try walking by a busy, well lit road and don't wear headphones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by happysmile
Yeah, I'd be scared out of my wits too. I would suggest you call or text your parents or a close friend about one or two stops before you get off and make sure they know where you are, around how long it'll take for you to get home and that they know you'll definitely text or call again when you get home. That way, if you don't text again within, say, five or ten minutes, they'll know something is wrong - so of course, you can't forget to call them once you get home.

Well my parents will be home already so I wouldn't need to tell them when I'm home but I think I'm going to try and get them to be on the phone with me when I get off the bus
Reply 36
I started a gymnastics class last night and it is from 8:30-10:30pm at night and the class is about an hour on the bus away from my house. Well last night when I got back (off the bus) it was about midnight and this man started following me so I ran and I thought he had gone but then I saw him and he stared straight at me and said something like roar. I was so scared and ran as quick as I could as I was thankfully on my street. I was so scared that I was going to get killed or something.

I really don't know what to do. I loved the class and I really want to go back but what if it happens again? I have to get the bus I as I won't be able to afford taxis twice a week when they're about £15 and I have to pay for the classes too. I'm not scared of getting the bus but I am now really scared of walking home when I get off... It is only a 5 minute walk and my street is usually pretty safe so I thought it would be fine but I can now see that it is not. If it was earlier I could probably even knock on someone's door and ask for help but I couldn't do that at that time. What should I do? I really don't want to give up my classes but I am scared.

I'm really sorry. That was me... I didn't mean to scare you. I needed some money for a bus home.
I had a bad headache and just wanted to catch you so I could ask for some money but you kept running away :s-smilie:
Original post by Annaleigh_B
My sister was attacked once when she was 16/17/18 (one of them). It completely (understandably) scared her from going out on her own. She was given a rape alarm thing and it makes a really loud noise to grab people's attention and her one was hard to switch off, so say someone got her, she pressed her alarm, the person wouldn't be able to turn it off straight away so in that time it would grab someone's attention. Most evil chasing, attacking people would just run at the sound of it though.

Really? :frown: where do you get them? They sound quite helpful if they'd get peoples attention...
Original post by Secretnerd123
No this one was young and seemed a little drunk so i doubt he remembers where we live lol

It was a very scary experience :frown: he just stared at us and when we looked back, he was walking fast towards us then started chasing us (wth?!).

I think you should try to find a yoga place near you

That's a good thing at least!!

I don't understand why people do things like this.. :frown:

Yoga??
I don't really know what being on the phone would do to stop someone chasing you but I do get how it could mark me feel safer if I'm just walking home.

The benefits of having a phone;
1) Someone would know you're in trouble and would be in a position to help before it gets too late
2) Technology will show your geographical location (if enabled on phone) and so in a dire situation help can get to you, and they can use it against whoever attacks as evidence. The Emergency services have access to all these amazing technologies nowadays. Not forgetting CCTV too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending