The Student Room Group

adult nursing with a d grade in maths?! advice please

Hi,

I already had a D Grade in GCSE Maths when I applied to study Adult Nursing in September 2014, however I knew I needed a C grade and above so I decided to re-take the Maths, after re-taking it i'm still quite sure I've failed. again.

My question is - Does anybody reckon from their experiences or advice, would I be able to get accepted in Adult Nursing with a D Grade through clearing??
Has anybody else had this sort of problem before?? Or any advice given would be helpful!
If it is very unlikely that I'd get accepted in clearing, would anybody recommend me to re-take it again for a third time and re-apply for next year??

Any other options or suggestions available, feel free to comment! I just need some advice haha

thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by conniesmith
Hi,

I already had a D Grade in GCSE Maths when I applied to study Adult Nursing in September 2014, however I knew I needed a C grade and above so I decided to re-take the Maths, after re-taking it i'm still quite sure I've failed. again.

My question is - Does anybody reckon from their experiences or advice, would I be able to get accepted in Adult Nursing with a D Grade through clearing??
Has anybody else had this sort of problem before?? Or any advice given would be helpful!
If it is very unlikely that I'd get accepted in clearing, would anybody recommend me to re-take it again for a third time and re-apply for next year??

Any other options or suggestions available, feel free to comment! I just need some advice haha

thank you!

You can take Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths instead. I received D twice in GCSE so decided for that option instead and I have an offer. Good luck!
As it's through clearing I think they would tell you to apply next year and retake.

If you can get L2 functional skills it may be an acceptable equivalent. But it depends on the university whether they do.

I'm in a similar situation I have a conditional offer for mental health nursing. But it's conditional based on getting the C in maths, I don't think I'm going to get the C and the uni doesn't accept equivalents.

I must of passed the maths test at the assessment as I got an offer, so it will suck if they take away my place due to the GCSE. When parts of the curriculum (that I struggle with) aren't used at all in Nursing. :frown:

I think I'll be redoing maths, and hoping I get an offer for a place again.
Reply 3
Original post by roachesandratsx
You can take Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths instead. I received D twice in GCSE so decided for that option instead and I have an offer. Good luck!

How long does functional skills take to complete?! And did you find it easier than what GCSE Maths was?? Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by ScottMcCall
As it's through clearing I think they would tell you to apply next year and retake.

If you can get L2 functional skills it may be an acceptable equivalent. But it depends on the university whether they do.

I'm in a similar situation I have a conditional offer for mental health nursing. But it's conditional based on getting the C in maths, I don't think I'm going to get the C and the uni doesn't accept equivalents.

I must of passed the maths test at the assessment as I got an offer, so it will suck if they take away my place due to the GCSE. When parts of the curriculum (that I struggle with) aren't used at all in Nursing. :frown:

I think I'll be redoing maths, and hoping I get an offer for a place again.

I'm really hoping they consider me within Clearing or that's another year of my life wasted :frown: hopefully all I can do is ring up and see what they say!
If not I think functional skills might have to be given ago, I'm so fed up of taking gcse and failing by such little marks! Ah

I'm sure you'll do fine though (: fingers crossed anyways! If not hopefully they will take your assessment instead! Good luck (: X
Reply 5
How long does functional skills take to complete?! And did you find it easier than what GCSE Maths was?? Thank you!

Hi I have also completed my L2 Functional skills I found it easier than GCSE Maths x
Reply 6
It didn't take me long at all I revised for 2 weeks then took the test x
Original post by Polly209
It didn't take me long at all I revised for 2 weeks then took the test x

How do you take the test? :smile:

A lot easier! It is taught in a different way and I got a lot of support. I did mine with LearnDirect for a week, everyday for 7 (long) hours but I got 92% in the exam. Definitely worth it. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ScottMcCall
How do you take the test? :smile:

I done it with best choice training (in birmingham) but my friend done hers at college I also heard learn direct is also good , it's defo a lot easier it's worth doing x
A lot easier! It is taught in a different way and I got a lot of support. I did mine with LearnDirect for a week, everyday for 7 (long) hours but I got 92% in the exam. Definitely worth it. :smile:

Ah so it isn't a year long course like how GCSE is?! How does learndirect work?? And how much are fee costs do you know?? (as ill be 19/20 at the time) Definitely going to have to consider it if I don't get my maths but fingers crossed (: x
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah so it isn't a year long course like how GCSE is?! How does learndirect work?? And how much are fee costs do you know?? (as ill be 19/20 at the time) Definitely going to have to consider it if I don't get my maths but fingers crossed (: x

Nope! It's basically as long as you need it to be :smile: They give you an assessment when you arrive to see your level and they take it from there. I'm pretty sure it's free, check their site.

I just read they no longer have an exam at the end though, I took one. Ring universities first to see if they accept City & Guilds still x
Nope! It's basically as long as you need it to be :smile: They give you an assessment when you arrive to see your level and they take it from there. I'm pretty sure it's free, check their site.

I just read they no longer have an exam at the end though, I took one. Ring universities first to see if they accept City & Guilds still x

Ah do you think they'll be more than likely to accept city and guilds?? Hopefully it doesn't matter longs its equivalent (: x
Hi Connie! Most unis accept City & Guilds as long as you study Functional Skills Level 2 in English/Math at LearnDirect. This is equivalent to GCSE. It is free when you are 16 or over and have passport or right visa.

Google the LearnDirect nearest to you and give them a call to book an appointment.

They will give you a test and if you're level 1 or 2 they can enrol you for the course.

Good luck!

-Ann
Reply 14
Original post by withLOVExx
Hi Connie! Most unis accept City & Guilds as long as you study Functional Skills Level 2 in English/Math at LearnDirect. This is equivalent to GCSE. It is free when you are 16 or over and have passport or right visa.

Google the LearnDirect nearest to you and give them a call to book an appointment.

I got through with Functional Skills Level 2. The local college did a once a week 2 hourly lesson and then entered me when they thought I was ready... 4 weeks for me, exams available every two weeks, very simple questions, and they can enter you as many times as it takes :-) I had also got a D in Maths!

Good luck x

They will give you a test and if you're level 1 or 2 they can enrol you for the course.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Hiya, sorry to butt in here but iv got a conditional offer for adult nursing at Sheffield Hallam based on me passing my maths gcse*sigh
Anyway iv took the exam but im pretty sure iv not passed will see on the 21st of August( when results come out)😫 however iv recently passed my level 2 city and guilds functional skills maths. Do you think if I fail my gcse maths I still have a chance of getting in with the equivalent level 2?
Thanks
Original post by Phumeh
Hiya, sorry to butt in here but iv got a conditional offer for adult nursing at Sheffield Hallam based on me passing my maths gcse*sigh
Anyway iv took the exam but im pretty sure iv not passed will see on the 21st of August( when results come out)😫 however iv recently passed my level 2 city and guilds functional skills maths. Do you think if I fail my gcse maths I still have a chance of getting in with the equivalent level 2?
Thanks

Hi I think you will have a chane of getting onto the course if the university accepts functional skills level 2 you should phone up to check if they do x
Original post by Phumeh
Anyway iv took the exam but im pretty sure iv not passed will see on the 21st of August( when results come out)������ however iv recently passed my level 2 city and guilds functional skills maths. Do you think if I fail my gcse maths I still have a chance of getting in with the equivalent level 2?
Thanks

They might well do. I would ring them up on monday and ask, then ask them about sending proof so they can change your offer.

I wish Worcester accepted it, unfortunately I am sure I will be reapplying my gcse retake isn't likely to get me that C. :frown:
Reply 18
😔 il give them a call first thing tomorrow, I hope they say it's not a problem! Seems harder and harder to get into uni these days
What university except functional maths and English I want to do nursing but grades are rubbish do any universities accept these skills as gcse grades for nursing and which ones I live in blackpool

Quick Reply

Latest