The Student Room Group

I like one of my best guy friends

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Haha, I know the feeling! I should really not be awake right now :tongue:

Honestly I don't trust those articles I don't think they're very accurate all, have you ever read the signs that girls like you one? I read it out of interest once and I just thought it was nonsense.

I do look out for signs he likes me though, I mean sometimes if we are out drinking or clubbing he'll put him arm around my waist for a few seconds every now and then, things like that.

Haha yeah.

Now that you mention it, I did read the signs a girl likes you one once, and I ended up laughing. You make a fair point.

That's definitely a good sign though, especially if it's around your waist. Unless he's one of those really touchy feely guy friends who will grab at any female form nearby - although I rather get the impression that he isn't. I suppose then, when you're making your move, go over these things in your head to give you a bit more confidence in a positive reply.

And if he rejects you, you can always claim you were drunk the next morning.
Haha yeah.

Now that you mention it, I did read the signs a girl likes you one once, and I ended up laughing. You make a fair point.

That's definitely a good sign though, especially if it's around your waist. Unless he's one of those really touchy feely guy friends who will grab at any female form nearby - although I rather get the impression that he isn't. I suppose then, when you're making your move, go over these things in your head to give you a bit more confidence in a positive reply.

And if he rejects you, you can always claim you were drunk the next morning.

Well I've never seen him do the waist thing to another girl, though I've never really seen him around other girls as I'm the only girl in the friendship group so..I'm not sure.

I'm kind of thinking I could try and see what the natural progression of things is next time I visit my friends as there will be drinking involved (and I'm more confident and less anxious when drinking) and see what happens maybe. Just time is a factor because of this other girl.
Well I've never seen him do the waist thing to another girl, though I've never really seen him around other girls as I'm the only girl in the friendship group so..I'm not sure.

I'm kind of thinking I could try and see what the natural progression of things is next time I visit my friends as there will be drinking involved (and I'm more confident and less anxious when drinking) and see what happens maybe. Just time is a factor because of this other girl.

Hmmm. Well, whether he treats you differently to the guys, as in he is aware that you are a girl (I'm thinking Ron and Hermione here) would be something to determine. Again, sounds as though he does, unless he puts his arms around guys waists (then you'd need to be worrying for a whole other reason...)

I'm sorry for my sleep-deprived ramblings, it's just a totally get it. I was in love with my best guy friend for years, recently found out that he had felt the same way, at the time. We actually worked out the points where we had misunderstood each other and the various times we had attempted to tell the other and it all went wrong. It is literally the biggest 'what if' of my life. So yeah, I don't want the same for you if you're into this guy - although I'm obviously not the best person to try and help, my own experience having gone disastrously.

And as for the other girl... again, I sympathise. Met a guy a little while ago, he was my type exactly, we liked all the same things and there was a heck of a lot of chemistry - but he had a long term long distance girlfriend... had to let that one go because it would have been an awful thing if I'd messed that up. Your guy, on the other hand, has been on a couple of dates with this girl. Definitely early enough to call it off without her being upset. Just try not to leave it too long - if they end up in a long term relationship you'll kick yourself, and if she starts hanging out with you all it will be pretty painful. (I don't doubt you know all this. I'm sorry. I'll shut up now.)
Hmmm. Well, whether he treats you differently to the guys, as in he is aware that you are a girl (I'm thinking Ron and Hermione here) would be something to determine. Again, sounds as though he does, unless he puts his arms around guys waists (then you'd need to be worrying for a whole other reason...)

I'm sorry for my sleep-deprived ramblings, it's just a totally get it. I was in love with my best guy friend for years, recently found out that he had felt the same way, at the time. We actually worked out the points where we had misunderstood each other and the various times we had attempted to tell the other and it all went wrong. It is literally the biggest 'what if' of my life. So yeah, I don't want the same for you if you're into this guy - although I'm obviously not the best person to try and help, my own experience having gone disastrously.

And as for the other girl... again, I sympathise. Met a guy a little while ago, he was my type exactly, we liked all the same things and there was a heck of a lot of chemistry - but he had a long term long distance girlfriend... had to let that one go because it would have been an awful thing if I'd messed that up. Your guy, on the other hand, has been on a couple of dates with this girl. Definitely early enough to call it off without her being upset. Just try not to leave it too long - if they end up in a long term relationship you'll kick yourself, and if she starts hanging out with you all it will be pretty painful. (I don't doubt you know all this. I'm sorry. I'll shut up now.)

Oh don't apologise silly! You've given an interesting perspective :smile:
I think I'm definitely going to try to make a move next time we are alone together now...if the feeling is right that is. If it feels awkward I won't go through with it because...awkward.
:smile:
and sounds like a good idea. Will you comment on here to let me know how it goes? I'm all emotionally involved now :P
Oh don't apologise silly! You've given an interesting perspective :smile:
I think I'm definitely going to try to make a move next time we are alone together now...if the feeling is right that is. If it feels awkward I won't go through with it because...awkward.

Sorry I forgot to click on the 'reply' sign *hangs head in shame* but yes, that last message was me (obviously) and I meant to say 'And that sounds like...'
:smile:
and sounds like a good idea. Will you comment on here to let me know how it goes? I'm all emotionally involved now :P

I shall try to remember! It might be a while, he's on holiday at the moment but gets back this Friday, I was supposed to be visiting for another night out sometime soon it could be this weekend (though unlikely) or maybe the weekend after. Only problem is he goes on his second date with this girl this weekend (cue angry scowls and jealousy :tongue: )
Awesome :smile: I'm sorry. I'm far too nosy for my own good. Ah, that's rather annoying, although if it goes badly it will play in your favour of course :wink:
I keep on forgetting to click on the reply button *hangs head in shame*
Reply 29
if i was u i'd ask him a question like has he ever thought about you in "that" way

girl i was friends with asked me that. it worked.
Original post by Carterj09
Just ****ing tell him.
girls to me are like a jenga puzzle glued to a rubiks cube strapped to a terrorist with a bomb screaming at you in a language you dont know with a timer going down.

If you just tell him it will make life easier.

Best description EVER.
I guess we need to wonder why our hero who is obviously looking for a gf has not in fact made a move on the OP ? Maybe he thinks he is in the friendzone but the obvious moment was when she told him she was free from her ex. He seems to be backwards in coming forwards. Maybe there is a reason for that.
Just ask him out on a date, he will say yes
Original post by Old_Simon
I guess we need to wonder why our hero who is obviously looking for a gf has not in fact made a move on the OP ? Maybe he thinks he is in the friendzone but the obvious moment was when she told him she was free from her ex. He seems to be backwards in coming forwards. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Why on earth are you describing him as a hero? He's just a man :confused:
I also have no idea what you are getting at with the last part.
Original post by the mezzil
Just ask him out on a date, he will say yes

Nothing is certain, there is no way you can know that he will go out on a date with me, he might not even find me attractive for all you know.
Reply 35
Girls need to tell guys/initiate too, it would solve the world's problems haha

Seriously if a girl told a guy she liked him, that would be awesome, and more romantic relationships would happen.

Tell him. I wouldn't worry about the friendship issue. But if you are true friends, then as a friend, you must wait impartially and see whether he wants to pursue the other girl he is going on a date with first.

If he doesn't then tell him. Otherwise, be happy for him until he is single again.

Remember the Friends episode, where Rachel wants to tell Ross she likes him too, but he is dating the girl he met on his trip. You have to sit it out and be patient, it will be worth it in the end. good luck!
Reply 36
Just ****ing tell him.
girls to me are like a jenga puzzle glued to a rubiks cube strapped to a terrorist with a bomb screaming at you in a language you dont know with a timer going down.

If you just tell him it will make life easier.

And unfortunately its the guys that have the next turn trying to take out the jenga piece...
Original post by djpailo
And unfortunately its the guys that have the next turn trying to take out the jenga piece...

I honestly have no idea what you mean by that?

Legend! Spot on description!
Original post by pshah2
Girls need to tell guys/initiate too, it would solve the world's problems haha

Seriously if a girl told a guy she liked him, that would be awesome, and more romantic relationships would happen.

Tell him. I wouldn't worry about the friendship issue. But if you are true friends, then as a friend, you must wait impartially and see whether he wants to pursue the other girl he is going on a date with first.

If he doesn't then tell him. Otherwise, be happy for him until he is single again.

Remember the Friends episode, where Rachel wants to tell Ross she likes him too, but he is dating the girl he met on his trip. You have to sit it out and be patient, it will be worth it in the end. good luck!

The two relationships I have had in the past I initiated both of them! It's really not that uncommon for girls to ask guys out.

Yeah I remember that friends episode, it is kind of like that in a way as he is part of my friendship circle which is the main reason I'm hesitant, if he wasn't I would have asked him out already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending