The Student Room Group

I'm screwing up my internship, need advice really badly!

Just some background, I somehow managed to land an internship in a company which has absolutely no relevance to my degree - in fact throughout the whole interview process, I basically had no idea what the company actually did.

I took it because it's paid, I really wanted an internship and they're hard to come by even if it's not my dream job, it would still be a learning experience.

I would also say that I was really honest and emphatic about my skills both in the interview and on my CV.

I've now been there for a couple of months and I can't do anything they ask me to do.

The man who's meant to be minding me is obviously really busy and doesn't really answer my questions properly and there's only so many times I can ask for clarification.

I suppose this is what being an intern involves...

Anyway they've basically found out that I'm useless and tomorrow I think I'm going to have to answer for it, so does anyone have any tips for what I should say to them?
Original post by Classicar
Just some background, I somehow managed to land an internship in a company which has absolutely no relevance to my degree - in fact throughout the whole interview process, I basically had no idea what the company actually did.

I took it because it's paid, I really wanted an internship and they're hard to come by even if it's not my dream job, it would still be a learning experience.

I would also say that I was really honest and emphatic about my skills both in the interview and on my CV.

I've now been there for a couple of months and I can't do anything they ask me to do.

The man who's meant to be minding me is obviously really busy and doesn't really answer my questions properly and there's only so many times I can ask for clarification.

Anyway they've basically found out that I'm useless and tomorrow I think I'm going to have to answer for it, so does anyone have any tips for what I should say to them?

Need more info.

How can you be useless?
Reply 2

Whats your work about?
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum
Need more info.

How can you be useless?

They asked my to 'plan their calendar' and I haven't got a clue what that involves.
Reply 4
Original post by Enoxial
Whats your work about?

It's a market research company.
They asked my to 'plan their calendar' and I haven't got a clue what that involves.

Well, ask them.
Reply 6
Just put all the dates near christmas, If they ask you why; just say Merry Christmas and start laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
Well, ask them.

No seriously, I've been asking them for 2 months, maybe I should have asked more forcefully and actually taken someone aside and explained my difficulties clearly but I didn't and it's too late now.
No seriously, I've been asking them for 2 months, maybe I should have asked more forcefully and actually taken someone aside and explained my difficulties clearly but I didn't and it's too late now.

Ask more forcefully tomorrow.
Reply 9

lol typical. Just ask them for the list of future events etc.

It's a market research company.

I asked whats your work about, not the Company :facepalm:

Never do that.
Reply 11
Original post by Enoxial
Never do that.

Can I ask why shouldn't I do that?

I obviously wouldn't use the phrase 'my difficulties' and I wouldn't actually 'take someone aside' as if I was in charge of them lol but wouldn't it be ok to say tentatively when you have a minute could we have a chat because I'd like some feedback and I'm a bit confused about a couple of things?

Just thought it would be better than demanding someone's attention whilst they're in the middle of doing something else.
Reply 12
Original post by Enoxial
lol typical. Just ask them for the list of future events etc.

I asked whats your work about, not the Company :facepalm:

Well I haven't really got a job spec. although I'm working with the sales team.

Other than planning their calendar...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending