The Student Room Group

Where can I get sexuality reparative therapy?

I don't want to be gay, there are too many disadvantages and it doesn't make sense to my
logical mind.
Getting a bf is also impossible - I have severe image issues, I come from a 'traditional' background
and I don't see myself as good enough for the 'gay community'.

I know that is is "impossible" to become straight but I'd at least like to try... maybe there is a little
straightness that can be brought out in therapy that I have unconsciously repressed.

Where can I see a 'reparative' therapist outside a religious context?

Thank you
You do know it doesn't work right?

If you don't accept yourself how you expect others to accept you?
Reply 2
Original post by Marky Mark
You do know it doesn't work right?

If you don't accept yourself how you expect others to accept you?

I've accepted myself but I just want to become an asexual because I feel depressed liking guys who cannot like me back. Or I am 'not good enough' at the moment (if ever)...
If you do decide to proceed with this I hope the one good thing that can come from this is you come to the realisation that first of all, it is okay to be yourself and second of all, it is okay to be gay.

Take care man and don't be too harsh on yourself!
Just be gay...

But wanting to be asexual is fine, just don't be the guy that marries an innocent women, has three kids, then leaves them all at 40 because you then want to be gay.
(edited 9 years ago)
This makes me sad.
You'll find someone you love in time. Just don't rush it and don't try to change who you are.
You will find it hard to get anyone who is actually accredited to get you to change sexual orientation for the very simple reason already given. If you're not attracted to another gender, there's really not much that can be done about it.

What Pop_tart said.

Some self-image work looks to be the real priority. Gay men are far more diverse than looking on the scene would lead anyone to think.
Original post by leedswest
Just be gay...

But wanting to be asexual is fine, just don't be the guy that marries an innocent women, has three kids, then leaves them all at 40 because you then want to be gay.

What?

It's not the fault of those 40 y/o guys for coming out now but rather the fact that society was backwards then.
Original post by Marky Mark
What?

It's not the fault of those 40 y/o guys for coming out now but rather the fact that society was backwards then.

I'm saying don't do it now...
forcing yourself into asexuality wont work and forcing yourself to be straight wont either. both asexuality and pretending to be straight will only make yourself more depressed.
Original post by pinejuice
forcing yourself into asexuality wont work and forcing yourself to be straight wont either. both asexuality and pretending to be straight will only make yourself more depressed.

But why am I gay? What's the cause?

It's caused me so many issues. I don't want to imagine things that I cannot have. I don't want to be attracted to a fantasy that's not realisable - I'd rather study or do something else that's productive.

Sexuality is such a dross of time, tbh
Original post by Anonymous
But why am I gay? What's the cause?

It's caused me so many issues. I don't want to imagine things that I cannot have. I don't want to be attracted to a fantasy that's not realisable - I'd rather study or do something else that's productive.

Sexuality is such a dross of time, tbh

you are gay in the same way that i'm gay/female/asian. there's no explanation for it. i didnt fill in a questionnaire. its just a fact of life. electricity is dangerous and has caused tonnes of deaths through accidental electrocutions but you use it to post on tsr right? just because something isn't ideal in all situations, it doesnt mean it shouldnt exist. straight people dont have to face as much as the lgbt community does but that doesnt mean we should change who we are. you can force yourself into asexuality and a straight life but you will feel so much worse.

you can be an out and proud member of the lgbt community, nobody is stopping you but you will need to be careful WHO you are out to because some people are too ignorant. sexuality is an important part of human nature, we all want to find that special someone and begin our own families. your sexuality doesnt constantly reveal itself i mean you don't think about how you like vagina/dick when you are buying a kitkat or some socks. but when you get those butterflies in your stomach after walking past a really pretty person, when you meet a new person you like or when you get along with a friend of a friend, that's when your sexuality is important. sexuality isnt a waste, its part of you. you should stay in the closet, build up your self confidence then gradually come out, telling more people each day. no one is guaranteeing you'll have a care free life, you will face homophobes/ ignorant comments/ predjudice its part of life. if you need to talk you can always talk with me
(edited 9 years ago)
You need to watch that documentary that Dr. Christian Jessen did for Channel 4 a few months ago. I hope that sways your opinion, because honestly, some countries in the world still enforce these grotesque 'therapies', and I think its inhumane treatment which needs to be halted. You can't choose to be asexual either, but you can choose to be celibate. The difference between the two is asexuals find the idea of romantic behaviour repulsive (the level of tolerance one has to different romantic behaviours varies in each individual), whereas someone who is celibate can be lesbian, gay, bi, straight etc. but just choose not to endeavour in romantic behaviour.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
The difference between the two is asexuals find the idea of romantic behaviour repulsive (the level of tolerance one has to different romantic behaviours varies in each individual),

wat
Why the **** did i become ugly?

Is it cos I am vegetarian?

Is it cos I took drugs accidentally?

Is it cos someone poisoned me?

Is it cos I am ****ing retarded?

Is it cos God exists and is punishing me for watching gay p?

What??? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending