The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antifazian
Yeah, it made me aim a bit higher with my uni choices, and I learnt a lot about how unis actually work, and how to write a personal statement etc.

Nice! Where did you aim and where were you planning on?

Did you use the personal statement guides we have and the example ones?

Original post by DiddyDec
Will do.

:five:

Good work.
No, I signed up on TSR after getting my offers.

The biggest influence on my choices were my lecturers. They gave me a few tips that proved more than useful :smile:
Original post by Motorbiker
Nice! Where did you aim and where were you planning on?

Did you use the personal statement guides we have and the example ones?

:five:

Good work.

I can't remember my exact choices now, but I was previously of the opinion that it wouldn't really matter which uni I went to as long as I got a degree, so just applied for local ones. I went to rubbish schools and had no real idea how the whole uni thing worked, but I learn a lot from the forum and realised that it was going to be much more beneficial to me to aim higher and go to the best uni I could for my subject.

I used the ps helpers, they were amazing help as, again, my college was a bit rubbish when it came to statement advice, they didn't really know what made a good statement and only gave generic outlines and some pretty bad advice.

I think TSR is an amazing resource for people like me who don't go to good schools that give decent advice and prepare people for uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
No because a lot of people criticised The Open Uni on here (also so did some people I know personally and on FB etc) saying it 'wasn't a real uni' or 'its for thick people' and things like that but I didn't let it put me off and I don't regret my choice of uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Antifazian
I can't remember my exact choices now, but I was previously of the opinion that it wouldn't really matter which uni I went to as long as I got a degree, so just applied for local ones. I went to rubbish schools and had no real idea how the whole uni thing worked, but I learn a lot from the forum and realised that it was going to be much more beneficial to me to aim higher and go to the best uni I could for my subject.

I used the ps helpers, they were amazing help as, again, my college was a bit rubbish when it came to statement advice, they didn't really know what made a good statement and only gave generic outlines and some pretty bad advice.

I think TSR is an amazing resource for people like me who don't go to good schools that give decent advice and prepare people for uni.

That last sentence is exactly the type of thing we're going for here. :smile:

We have a new personal statement builder as well on the site atm where it's an automated thing to help your general personal statement structure.

And glad to know you aimed high with your uni choice! Did you get into your first choice?
Original post by Yasmin25
No because a lot of people criticised The Open Uni on here (also so did some people I know personally and on FB etc) saying it 'wasn't a real uni' or 'its for thick people' and things like that but I didn't let it put me off and I don't regret my choice of uni.

Have you checked out the distance learning forum?

We have a lot of people doing Open uni courses in there that will be much nicer! :tongue:
Have you checked out the distance learning forum?

We have a lot of people doing Open uni courses in there that will be much nicer! :tongue:

Yip I've been an avid poster in that forum since I joined The Open Uni :smile:
That last sentence is exactly the type of thing we're going for here. :smile:

We have a new personal statement builder as well on the site atm where it's an automated thing to help your general personal statement structure.

And glad to know you aimed high with your uni choice! Did you get into your first choice?

I did indeed in the end, yeah :smile:

It sounds cheesy and stuff, but the forum definitely played a big role in me getting to where I am now
Well the forums didn't help me pick a university (despite how much I like Leeds I'm guessing it wouldn't be sought after by the Oxbridge elitists) but the articles and forum discussions helped me get better insights into the universities, and what I should be looking for when picking them. So I found TSR a good resource for helping me make the ultimate decision :smile:
It definitely did to me. There was this one person who I have even thanked for it as he (unintentionally) defined my life in a way.

Someone posted about a BBC program called "Where the Jobs Are" (or similar) where I learnt about Russell Group universities. I applied to Nottingham, Surrey, Warwick, UCL, and another. I was rejected by UCL, so I was gonna go for Surrey as it was near London until I heard about Russell Group and it's importance, did some research and chose Nottingham as my firm instead.
Original post by OnionRing
Oooo I'm quite interested in American universities in the future, may I ask what equivalent forum this was?:smile:

It's called College Confidential.
Oooo I'm quite interested in American universities in the future, may I ask what equivalent forum this was?:smile:

I'd also check out our "Studying in North America" sub-forum before going over to CC. :yep:
Original post by muffingg
It definitely did to me. There was this one person who I have even thanked for it as he (unintentionally) defined my life in a way.

Someone posted about a BBC program called "Where the Jobs Are" (or similar) where I learnt about Russell Group universities. I applied to Nottingham, Surrey, Warwick, UCL, and another. I was rejected by UCL, so I was gonna go for Surrey as it was near London until I heard about Russell Group and it's importance, did some research and chose Nottingham as my firm instead.

Did you enjoy Nottingham? What year are you in now? Have you graduated?
Reply 73
It stopped me considering london met, which is a shame really because they had some interesting courses up my street.
Original post by alapa
It stopped me considering london met, which is a shame really because they had some interesting courses up my street.

Why did TSR stop you considering London MET?

Where did you end up applying/going?
Original post by Coffeetime
It's called College Confidential.

I'd also check out our "Studying in North America" sub-forum before going over to CC. :yep:

Thank you both! I'll check out both links:smile:
TSR made me feel like I shouldn't bother applying to prestigious universities unless I had at least 3,983 A*'s, which in hindsight maybe made me less confident with my UCAS choices.
Thank you both! I'll check out both links:smile:

You're Welcome! :h:

Original post by alone-in-kyoto
TSR made me feel like I shouldn't bother applying to prestigious universities unless I had at least 3,983 A*'s, which in hindsight maybe made me less confident with my UCAS choices.

Where did you apply?

And yea, sorry, we do have a few elitists on here...
You're Welcome! :h:

Where did you apply?

And yea, sorry, we do have a few elitists on here...

I go to St Andrews, but not all of the universities I applied to were at the same level because I was under the impression that if I hadn't achieved straight A's since I was in nappies then I wouldn't have a shot, which quite clearly isn't true at all.
What's the offers and what're you thinking you will get?

Also, we have a new personal statement builder tool on here now as well which walks you through the steps of making a PS.

That sounds cool, the offers A*AAa and I've got no clue what I've got; on good days I think A*A*Aa on others AABa so can't say I'm looking forward to results day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending