The Student Room Group

Mum wants me to go to a private school

I used to want to go and I have to decide between a private schl and a comprehensive schl where I live.
I've seen some of the recent threads about private schls on here and it looks like people here hate everybody who goes to one. i don't know if I want to get hate for going to a private school I've decided to go to the comprehensive school.
How do I tell my mum I'm scared of going to the private schl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should do what you think is best for you. People do not hate those going to private schools. They hate someone who got A*A*A* at A-Levels and brags how awesome he is, how he went to private college and how that makes him superior to others.

Do not compromise your future for such things.
If you feel you can do just as well at the comprehensive, then by all means go there!

But do not reject private education on the lines that others may hate you! Trust me, you will hate yourself much more if you do not achieve your dreams...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry what people on TSR say, it's just a controversial issue so there will be people who disagree with your decision either way. I'd say just look around both schools and go to the one which you think you would excel in most and be happy, regardless of whether it's state or private.
Reply 3
what is with all the private school threads recently? xD

Honestly you shouldn't be worrying about what others think about you going to a private school. Do what is best for you. I couldn't give a crap if people are angry that I went to a private school and hate me for it (maybe in many cases jealousy is the correct word) as I absolutely loved my time there tbh am gutted that its come to an end, as much as I look forward to the next stage in my life.

tl;dr its your life, do what's best for YOU.
Dw the people on here that say private schools suck are only jealous because their parents can't afford it...

Better teaching = better grades = better uni = better job = better life

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to go :tongue: unless if that school has loads of bullying issues etc going on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
People do not hate people that go to private schools. People hate people that go to private schools and assume it makes them better than everyone else.

You will get a much better education at a private school and it will probably benefit you greatly in later life. You should take the opportunity if it is given to you, just make sure you keep your feet on the ground and remember that being privately educated doesn't mean you are better than anyone else. You will be fine. And it will be a good choice for your education and your future.

P.s this is coming from someone that went to a good old comprehensive. So I am not bias.
Extremely short sighted.

Get yourself the best education available to you.

(btw, you've 'decided' to go to the comp... are you sure the decision is that open to you? My parents were always pretty indulgent with me, but I don't think they'd have let me choose a poorer school for reasons like this. In fact, there would have been a roughly 0% chance of them allowing it.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Don't eliminate the option of going to a private school for the sake of other people's opinions. It has to do with you and your future, not other peoples. :smile:
I wish my parents sent me to private school.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I used to want to go and I have to decide between a private schl and a comprehensive schl where I live.
I've seen some of the recent threads about private schls on here and it looks like people here hate everybody who goes to one. i don't know if I want to get hate for going to a private school I've decided to go to the comprehensive school.

You're gonna be like Ja'mie from Summer Heights High.

Go to the private school! It's an amazing opportunity; who cares what strangers on the internet say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for the private over the comprehensive any day. It'll probably have better teaching and facilities for you and is generally a good opportunity if their grade record for the students is good :smile:
Please don't base your decision on not wanting to be hated . You need to think how the school you go to will affect your education. I went to a private school. To be totally honest I hated every minute if it. I was probably the least academically gifted girl in that place, but i'll be the first to admit I would not have got the GCSE grades I got if I had not gone to that school, I was dragged kicking and screaming to a bunch of Cs, which I fully believe I would not have got had I gone to a comp where the teachers did not care and would not have taken the time and given me the help I needed in order to get there. Private schools are very good at getting the best results they can out of the children who in other institutions may leave with nothing, However if you are one of those kids who will get excellent grades anyway go to the comp if it will make you happy.
Original post by Anonymous

I've gone to a private and a state (well, a grammar, but it was **** so barely better than a comp) and private is much better. Better teaching and a better environment, the only people on TSR who try to mock private school kids are just angry their parents can't afford it and/or they aren't smart enough to get a bursary or scholarship. Most private schools beat comps hands down.
Original post by icecreamcake

Better teaching = better grades = better uni = better job = better life

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's just propaganda ... I've seen some awful teaching at Private schools - you do not even have to be qualified to teach at one!
Original post by That'sGreat
I've gone to a private and a state (well, a grammar, but it was **** so barely better than a comp) and private is much better. Better teaching and a better environment, the only people on TSR who try to mock private school kids are just angry their parents can't afford it and/or they aren't smart enough to get a bursary or scholarship. Most private schools beat comps hands down.

No you do NOT get better teachers at a Private school - you do not even need to be qualfied to teach at one. Our local private school is always trying to pay big bucks to teachers at my school to get them to go to teach there.
Go to 'prestigious' private school - have the cost in the back of my mind, and realise my parents do work hard for it... try really hard not to be prententious, and have really been enjoying life at school especially boarding for the last few years, and the facilities, smaller class sizes and opportunities open to us...
Paying money for education does not equal better teaching my any stretch of the imagination, though it can grant forms of education where you would feel more comfortable e.g. dependent on ability a more challenging environment to motivate you, extracurricular activities etc....

in the end the choice is yours, i realise i do have some privilege, but do feel that it has been worth it, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time, something im sure i can speak for nearly all the boys who go there.
people do demonise private school children - but its not schooling, how much money, how many houses you have that affects your personality but you as a person, and need to be mindful of the opportunities that are open to you..

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
No you do NOT get better teachers at a Private school - you do not even need to be qualfied to teach at one. Our local private school is always trying to pay big bucks to teachers at my school to get them to go to teach there.

I didn't say better teachers, I said better teaching. Private schools have the time and resources to spoon feed students more, which sees those who would seriously struggle at comps getting good grades at private schools. People claim this isn't releveant for A level so much, but anyone doing A level will realise it very much does. A level is not, as many claim, about "encouraging independent thought". At most, it's your ability to apply knowledge, with knowledge and application being put on a plate for private school students.

Just because you don't need to be qualified, doesn't mean they aren't qualified. For example, an economics teacher at our school was an economist before turning to teaching, didn't do whatever qualifications are needed for teaching, and has overseen students getting fantastic grades consistently.
Clearly you've swallowed the propanda - I'm a teacher and I've ben offered money many times to move to a Prvate school because our results are much better. We give our students all the time they need - additional support at lunchtime etc and all for free.

Believe what you want but it's no secret that state school pupils do better at uni because of the way they can think because they are NOT spoon-fed.
Original post by Muttley79
Clearly you've swallowed the propanda - I'm a teacher and I've ben offered money many times to move to a Prvate school because our results are much better. We give our students all the time they need - additional support at lunchtime etc and all for free.

Believe what you want but it's no secret that state school pupils do better at uni because of the way they can think because they are NOT spoon-fed.

think that's quite one sided - we're not completely spoon fed, are there more opportunities, yes, does that mean we have, therefore, no clue how to succed at uni and beyond, no....

tbh i wouldnt listen to everything on TSR, bear in mind the possible benefits that some private schools will bring to your life, the opportunities, activities, facilities etc. the list could go on. If the cost is ok, i would say go for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending