The Student Room Group

Suddenly freaking out about which course to do

hey, last year when choosing my A levels i was completely stuck on what subjects to choose, but i went with what i think i am best at and what i enjoyed, which was english, history, classics, and maths as AS, aiming to go on to study english at uni. my gcses were good and my AS results were AAAB, so things were in theory looking good for me to study english at a fairly prestigious uni. i was even considering oxford
but
i just dont feel right about it suddenly. ive lost my love of english it seems sometimes, and i dont really feel like reading. now year 13 is looming and im probably not even that well-read for someone who wants to study english. all i want to do is draw.
im suddenly wanting to do art - apply for an art foundation and maybe even go on to do graphics. i got an A* in art gcse but hated the work and was happy to drop it, yet now its what im interested in all of a sudden. i dont have a portfolio annd it would require me to change all my uni and application plans. my mum seems quite for the idea but i think its too big a change and that its too late to go about changing my mind now.
urgh i dont even know what im asking
just
has anyone felt like this? what did you do? what should i do? this feeling could easily pass so it seems stupid to put any weight on it
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey, last year when choosing my A levels i was completely stuck on what subjects to choose, but i went with what i think i am best at and what i enjoyed, which was english, history, classics, and maths as AS, aiming to go on to study english at uni. my gcses were good and my AS results were AAAB, so things were in theory looking good for me to study english at a fairly prestigious uni. i was even considering oxford
but
i just dont feel right about it suddenly. ive lost my love of english it seems sometimes, and i dont really feel like reading. now year 13 is looming and im probably not even that well-read for someone who wants to study english. all i want to do is draw.
im suddenly wanting to do art - apply for an art foundation and maybe even go on to do graphics. i got an A* in art gcse but hated the work and was happy to drop it, yet now its what im interested in all of a sudden. i dont have a portfolio annd it would require me to change all my uni and application plans. my mum seems quite for the idea but i think its too big a change and that its too late to go about changing my mind now.
urgh i dont even know what im asking
just
has anyone felt like this? what did you do? what should i do? this feeling could easily pass so it seems stupid to put any weight on it

Hey,

I think it's quite normal to feel like this when you're looking at making one of the biggest decisions of your life so far. It's good that you're properly thinking about it now whilst you still have time to make some decisions with good time to research.

From what you're saying it sounds like you would quite like to do an art foundation course and you've been doing some research but the thing that's holding you back is that you're worried it's too late? I don't think that's the case - if we were all stuck with the things we thought we were going to do when we were 16 then the world would probably be a much worse place! :smile:

What I'd do now is look at the entry requirements for these universities and perhaps go to some open days in September to see if this is what you want to do. If it is you can look to getting a portfolio of work together. One option would be to take an art foundation course and then apply to go on to university then to study art, or alternatively, you could then apply for English after a "gap year" if this is what you went back to deciding you wanted to do. For example, Oxford's fine art course says that AAA at A level is required and it's recommended to do an art foundation course too. You could always apply for this degree after an art foundation year or as I said, go on to apply for English anyway.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending