The Student Room Group

Why are Student Finance so bad. NHS Course. Poor.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seaholme
Being on rolling placements does sort-of preclude getting a job... if you're only in the same place for a few weeks at a time, nobody's going to employ you for such a brief period of time! Assuming that is what the poster means.

Yeah it was was I meant. Nobody wants you on your terms. It their way or the high way.
Although its not glamorous quite a lot of student towns have hospitality jobs where you say when you can work and they will find you work within a specified area, so you choose when and where you work and can go months without working if you like. They are agencies and do the legwork in finding you shifts. Its not ideal but the struggle will be worth it when you are qualified. If you take evidence or receipts of the stuff you have bought for your course which has been essential to the finance department they might be a tiny bit more likely to give you some hardship money.
Are there no jobs at the SU? And can you get a summer job? Although, if my understanding is right, you're at uni for more of the year than most students?
Original post by shiggydiggy

lol - weak. Get a job.

I think this is inconsiderate. You cannot apply your circumstances to others. If the OP is living somewhere already with job shortages, it is likely that it will be very difficult to get a job with placement hours. I know that I have found this over the years and it's been so frustrating! But it is what it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RachelFiveee
Although its not glamorous quite a lot of student towns have hospitality jobs where you say when you can work and they will find you work within a specified area, so you choose when and where you work and can go months without working if you like. They are agencies and do the legwork in finding you shifts. Its not ideal but the struggle will be worth it when you are qualified. If you take evidence or receipts of the stuff you have bought for your course which has been essential to the finance department they might be a tiny bit more likely to give you some hardship money.

I've tried this but Huddersfield is quite a small town so there aren't many job available anyway
Original post by OU Student
Are there no jobs at the SU? And can you get a summer job? Although, if my understanding is right, you're at uni for more of the year than most students?

I have had a summer job this year (contract ended last week). This money was used to pay rent on a house that I have just signed for whilst still paying the remainder of my rent on halls last year so I have tried to make my circumstances better but it seems to get me no where...The SU don't have jobs currently and I am looking daily for available roles.
Original post by vortex_199
I think this is inconsiderate. You cannot apply your circumstances to others. If the OP is living somewhere already with job shortages, it is likely that it will be very difficult to get a job with placement hours. I know that I have found this over the years and it's been so frustrating! But it is what it is.

It's nice to see that somebody understands this. Where I am it is a small town, not a City so jobs are very scarce.
Reply 27
Original post by emilywright61
So i'm already at Uni and this September will be the start of my second year.

As i'm am undertaking a health course, this is funded by the NHS, yay! (NOT).

Although my tuition fee's are paid for by the NHS and I get a bursary each month (which covers my rent all but £15.00) that isn't payable back, this means that my student loan that I have to live off is reduced to £2334.00 for the whole academic year which equates to about £40.00 a week.

Excuse me if I am wrong but i'm pretty sure this is actually less than job seekers allowance... seems VERY wrong when theres people out there doing **** all and getting more money than a lot of students on healthcare courses.

To top this all off... during my first year student finance messed up my award and paid me too much during first term as they had calculated my award as a 'normal' student and not an NHS student. This meant that the next two payments for the rest of the year were severely reduced leaving me in the **** as I had to pay for accommodation that I had signed up for, for the whole year. Consequently this meant going into my overdraft and maxing it out at £1500.00 leaving me with nothing as emergencies for the next two years.

So i'd really like to know how our **** government expect people to live off £40.00 per week for living costs (food, clothes, books, uni equipment in my case for clinics, travel etc...).

Getting a job also isn't practical for me as I work in clinics for work experience as my course is really demanding.

I don't know how to get around this?!!! Help please...

So if I'm doing medicine next year... I won't get the maintenance grant? :O
Original post by Ucki
So if I'm doing medicine next year... I won't get the maintenance grant? :O

only from fifth year
Why the attack on JSA? at least your getting your tuition paid. £40 a week is not too bad, JSA is not a guaranteed income for anyone on it. Suppose you would like the humiliation of being on it whist having absolutely no stability or future to look forward to. When this c@ap is over with you'll be on a salary, just think about it. You've got a future to look forward to, some don't.
£40 a week is plenty. My finance leaves me £300 short of rent every term.
Student finance have to be one of the ****test bureacuratic organisations I have ever come across.
In fact I'm thinking of starting a thread just so people can let out their angst about how terribly run and executed student finance england is. They don't even deserve the capitalisation in Student Finance
I have recieved JSA myself in the past for a number of months so I know it isn't a guaranteed income. £40.00 a week seems a very small amount for expenses that I have to pay out for.
The reason i'm so annoyed is that SF messed up my first year income, leaving me stuck with rent to pay on student halls that I was already signed up for, forcing me to take out a very large overdraft that I wouldnt have bothered with otherwise. They never recified their mistake and i'm now left with no overdraft to fall back on if I need an extra £10.00 for example per week.
Just how it is. I did an NHS course and DIDNT get a bursary but still only got a reduced maintenance loan. Plus that also meant I wasn't able to claim back any travel expenses for placement (for my longest placement I had to commute an hour there and back costing over £200 in train fare). It sucks but at least they paid our fees I guess.

Oh and to add, £40 a week is pretty do-able. Except for when I has to shell out for travel costs I was living on this much a week that my parents were giving to me (as all my loan went on rent) . I'd spend about £15-20 on food and the rest on whatever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Temporality
Student finance have to be one of the ****test bureacuratic organisations I have ever come across.
In fact I'm thinking of starting a thread just so people can let out their angst about how terribly run and executed student finance england is. They don't even deserve the capitalisation in Student Finance

Please do, it'd be interesting to see others views
A lot of people manage on less than £40 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending